Sim Lim shop quotes me $968 price tag -- for a $70 camera lens

Yes. Do your homework before making a purchase like you would with a Car or Home..

So sad about the behavior of such shops in SLS !

It is surprising that so far nothing has been done effectively to stop this blatant bad behavior ! ! !

These shops are so desperate for sales or so greedy for sales that they will lie, cheat, beg, borrow or steal in-order to make a sale ! ! ! :eek:

Time to do something ? :dunno:

Very bad image for Singapore especially when it happens to a foreign tourist !

:angry::angry::angry:

Which is why SLS had been blacklisted for a couple of times. I remember a time when my Vietnamese friend from Australia came down for a visit and I brought him to SLS for cheap electronic. There one of the salesman (forget from which shop) looked down upon our sloppy outfit and when we wanted him to show us one of the camera on display, he told us, "You want to buy or not? If not don't waste my time." (or something to that effect)... another shop told us simply that his camera is "very expensive" and thats it.

Well... to say the truth... I have never had a good experience in SLS, so not going there anymore... even those 'reputable' shops can sometime try to cut you.

The only advise I have is to do a good study into the price and function of anything you want before going down... and if you are chopped, I and many of the good people in this forum will appreciated that you post your experience here so that others might learned and not be the next victim. Because unlike many of the "more experience" members here, many are newbies and do not really know the price or what to look out for when he/she wanted to buy something.

What is more important was to perhaps give us the name of the 'black' shops too and so we can avoid them totally.

So I for one, thank TS for bringing up this issue. If only the name of the shop is also present then it will be the best.

Somehow the reputation of SLS being the electronics hub doesn't seem to be tainted with all the bad press it's getting for cheating people out of their money. I had my share of bad experiences & being cheated there too.. Reckoned, it was a decade ago and I was young, stupid and not connected... ;p

Nowadays I go SLS to window shop and play with the stuff on display, then smile and tell the shopkeeper I'll think about it..

Nowadays I go SLS to window shop and play with the stuff on display, then smile and tell the shopkeeper I'll think about it..

why do you even wanna do that...

its like walking into the lions den...

might as well go to the lovely shops that we know of, chit chat and try new models etc... build r/s for future... you go SLS build r/s is like gg to get cheated of ur love..

you very lucky, did the salesman say " once touch consider sold?"

Last edited:
why do you even wanna do that...

its like walking into the lions den...

might as well go to the lovely shops that we know of, chit chat and try new models etc... build r/s for future... you go SLS build r/s is like gg to get cheated of ur love..
LOL. For fun.. I'm quite entertained by them. Then I'll head up to Alan Photo cos my uncle's pretty tight with them.

Do they do that? I better not do that next time then. My luck might run out.

Therefore, always go there with some friends. When anyone said that to me... I will calmly tell that fella, "Okay. Give me the receipt and a plastic bag, going home with my newly bought item."

Doing your homework is not always works...
I has a friend who study the price of Nikon D5000, and go to SLS to buy that
But one store said there is no stock for D5000, the one he saw is display set.
And the shopkeeper said; something about Nikon service is very sucks is Singapore, and try to drive my friend towards Canon 1000D - which my friend not aware about the price. I'm not remember how much the seller offer, but to my friends the offer is quite fantastic. But luckily my friend go away, and change to another shop...