Sim Lim shop quotes me $968 price tag -- for a $70 camera lens

People just need to do a little research...

A lot of smart phones even have bar code & price applications that can even tell you how much items are being sold online.

I do not know why is there so much negative comments on whoever who post something to warn others out of goodwill of their own. True, they didn't do homework when they buy something, and they learned their mistakes, and they have clearly pointed out that too.

Quote:

"Potential buyers, please take note and don't fall for this kind of trap like I did. Remember to check prices before buying, not only at the store or nearby stores but also on the internet as well."

From the abovementioned quote, they are simply telling others or warning others of their experiences. They are not complaining or whatsoever.:dunno:

To many people in this forum, maybe they are very experienced photographers, people with common sense and stuff like that... well... pardon those many noobs around that might not have that type of common sense or streetwise, or whatever you would like to call it, and would very much like to rely on the experience learned by others through the hard way, so they will not need to bash their head on the same wall.

Last edited:
I do not know why is there so much negative comments on whoever who post something to warn others out of goodwill of their own. True, they didn't do homework when they buy something, and they learned their mistakes, and they have clearly pointed out that too.

Quote:

"Potential buyers, please take note and don't fall for this kind of trap like I did. Remember to check prices before buying, not only at the store or nearby stores but also on the internet as well."

From the abovementioned quote, they are simply telling others or warning others of their experiences. They are not complaining or whatsoever.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ogawa and Akira sound Japanese too! I wonder if anyone bought stuffs thinking they are genuine Japanese products.

Huh? You mean they are not? :bigeyes:
Oh no......... :cry:

Yep, Akira is a local company, next to IMM singapore.

not discussing whether the victim got do research on the price or not...

i just wonder how she got recommended this thing. she mentioned she went SLS specifically to get a new lens, surely she got some range of lens in mind and not just walk in and asked "can you recommend me any lens for my camera?" :dunno:

Sim Lim shop quotes me $968 price tag -- for a $70 camera lens

sim_lim_shop_quotes_me_968_price_tag__for_a_70_camera_lens-thumbnail.jpg

STOMPer Mademoiselle says she paid $428 for a camera lens worth a mere $70-$160 at Sim Lim Square. Unbelievably, she was initially told the lens cost $968, about ten times the actual value.

She recalls the experience:

"I went to Sim Lim Square on Saturday (Aug 28) to get a new lens for my camera.

"In one shop they recommended me a two-in-one Steinzeiser 0.45x52mm lens. The seller told me the price was $968, but due to the renovation scheduled to take place the next day, he would sell it to me at half price - $434.

"This price fell further to $400 (without GST), throwing in a free filter into the bargain. After reviewing the features of the lens, I decided to buy it at $428 including 7% GST.

"Out of curiosity, I went down to another stall afterwards and asked for the same type of lens. I found the same item had a price tag of just $259 and the seller was willing to sell it at a discounted price of $120.

"I was shocked and told them I had bought it for $400. I went up again to the first store to confront the seller, and he went down with me to the other store. When I was there, I asked, 'How much is this lens again?' to the seller whom assisted me just now, however he had no guts to answer.

"His colleague then said that the price was $450 and the price he gave earlier was the wrong one. He added that his colleague is a watch-seller, which is totally impossible as he was wearing the shop's uniform and the shop does not sell watches.

"Also, the price tag clearly says '$259' and I don't see how it can shoot up to $450.

"Feeling embarrassed, I went to apologise to the seller I bought the lens from.

"Later, my friend and I checked the internet on this product and we found out that the normal price of this lens is only $70-$160.

Not to be sexist but why another lady again?

We had a lady who paid incredible pricing for a DSLR + lens a while back...now another one?

And of all place but SLS?

Haiz.......looks like their guys sure have surprises....when they see the bill

We had a lady who paid incredible pricing for a DSLR + lens a while back...now another one?

Are you implying women are not allowed to buy electronics anymore? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Are you implying women are not allowed to buy electronics anymore? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

they need recommendations from their other halves la.. that's what partners are for.. :bsmilie:

I usually tell my friends esp from overseas to avoid Sim Lim Sq & (un)Lucky Plaza, Newton Circus.

Yes, do your homework, but that doesn't mean cheats can be allowed to get away with it.

What goes round will come round one day....these cheats will find out the hard way.

It is a reminder to all!

Expose the name of the shop!

No legal implication if it is true!

Last edited:

Guy is normally shy to review his stupi....

It is a reminder to all!

Expose the name of the shop!

No legal implication if it is true!

why bother? people will still go buy first then search later, then complain in CS...:bsmilie:

Guy is normally shy to review his stupi....

So ladies are more open to websites like Stomp?

Anyhow, we should really educate our pple + Tourist on where to get stuff with proper pricing....

We dont want carrot heads!!

no use one... now singapore population keep increasing...

sure got bodoh never check anything one...

i'm even quite certain there will be alot of people who will still be at COMEX buying camera tomolo...

i will go see and tell you all after i find out~! haha.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I thought it only happens in Lucky plaza.. What a steal. :angry: