Sim Lim shop quotes me $968 price tag -- for a $70 camera lens

shaoken

Deregistered
Sim Lim shop quotes me $968 price tag -- for a $70 camera lens

sim_lim_shop_quotes_me_968_price_tag__for_a_70_camera_lens-thumbnail.jpg

STOMPer Mademoiselle says she paid $428 for a camera lens worth a mere $70-$160 at Sim Lim Square. Unbelievably, she was initially told the lens cost $968, about ten times the actual value.

She recalls the experience:

"I went to Sim Lim Square on Saturday (Aug 28) to get a new lens for my camera.

"In one shop they recommended me a two-in-one Steinzeiser 0.45x52mm lens. The seller told me the price was $968, but due to the renovation scheduled to take place the next day, he would sell it to me at half price - $434.

"This price fell further to $400 (without GST), throwing in a free filter into the bargain. After reviewing the features of the lens, I decided to buy it at $428 including 7% GST.

"Out of curiosity, I went down to another stall afterwards and asked for the same type of lens. I found the same item had a price tag of just $259 and the seller was willing to sell it at a discounted price of $120.

"I was shocked and told them I had bought it for $400. I went up again to the first store to confront the seller, and he went down with me to the other store. When I was there, I asked, 'How much is this lens again?' to the seller whom assisted me just now, however he had no guts to answer.

"His colleague then said that the price was $450 and the price he gave earlier was the wrong one. He added that his colleague is a watch-seller, which is totally impossible as he was wearing the shop's uniform and the shop does not sell watches.

"Also, the price tag clearly says '$259' and I don't see how it can shoot up to $450.

"Feeling embarrassed, I went to apologise to the seller I bought the lens from.

"Later, my friend and I checked the internet on this product and we found out that the normal price of this lens is only $70-$160.

"Potential buyers, please take note and don't fall for this kind of trap like I did. Remember to check prices before buying, not only at the store or nearby stores but also on the internet as well."

What!??! 400plus for a converter (which should not be even considered for cams)!?!??!

Best part, have to apologised to the seller!??!?! I would take them to CASE!

Last edited:
Yes, don't just post it here. Report it to CASE :D
stomp them :)

oo btw, can we know the shop name? need to avoid this shop + warn all friends :sweat:

people never read do they? there are so many complains about resellers at SLS... still i read about people getting conned. sometimes, i don't know if i should feel pity for the buyer...

ain't the 1st but won't be last either:confused: CASE should draw guidelines for shopping malls known for their 'chopping skills'. seems that salesmen these days are out to get anyone, be it tourist or locals just to bring in business with such tactics.

1 word...STUPID.

pls check before u buy, dont complain later.:thumbsd:

Wow! $968 for the stupid wide angle converter? With that money, might as well I buy a Sigma 10-20mm + a Canon 200mm F2 + Genuine Gucci bag and a Subaru Rex STI!! WTH ... those ppl at Sim Lim are getting their heads and balls bigger each day.

why they never put the name of the shop??

then can ask them go to hell le...

yet another SLS incindent....sigh.....
"Later, my friend and I checked the internet on this product and we found out that the normal price of this lens is only $70-$160.

shouldn't he check before buying???lol...

Simply don't understand why these people would buy something without doing ANY homework. The seller didn't point a gun or knife during the transaction. What's even better is he/she checked other shops AFTER buying. How smart is that?

Simply don't understand why these people would buy something without doing ANY homework. The seller didn't point a gun or knife during the transaction. What's even better is he/she checked other shops AFTER buying. How smart is that?
These shops THRIVE on these kind of people, gullible, don't know anything one, the only way these shops will stop to exists if the consumer wises up........

In europe there are many magazines/websites where consumer can easily check for items first before buying........and those sites are very popular and well known by everyone, and they also appear on TV! Usually people will check those sites first before buying anything

Perhaps a market opening here for anyone?

Singapore Tourism Board keeps a list of blacklisted shops and stuff, but I don't know why I find it difficult to locate this list :embrass:

Not sure if it's because of this
http://www.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20090719-155630.html

*confidential list*?? :dunno:

When "newbies" who don't research, they can get brainwash easily when retailers "brainwash" them that this is as good as a fisheye lens. As they also have "macro" function..
They will say it's a 2-in-1 lens.. :sweat:

I don't understand how does the buyer need to feel embarrassed and then to apologize to the seller? :dunno:

it's not even a lens.

in all sense of what lens means in photography, anyways.

the steinzeiser name just makes people think its a german made wow very expensive quality product...

quality my foot la..

hmmm...

Ogawa and Akira sound Japanese too! I wonder if anyone bought stuffs thinking they are genuine Japanese products.

Consumers owe it to themselves to research before handing over their hard earned cash. Choose to be gullible or lazy? Be prepared to get chopped. Its too late to KPKB and cry foul after that.