Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

for events like parties is this a good upgrade from 18-105 kit lens (nikon)?

for events like parties is this a good upgrade from 18-105 kit lens (nikon)?

The f2.8 will come in handy

For event and parties, (personally) I would prefer to use a diffused flash or just purely use the ambient light and bump the ISO...f2.8 is sometimes still too shallow for the depth. I find myself using f4 coupled with flash more often.

i have SB700 + 18-105 on my D90.. for events and parties...
Im planning to get this sigma 17-50 to replace my 18-105.. is it worth it? will i produce better quality pictures on this?
or better stick to my current setup...

mackie8 said:
i have SB700 + 18-105 on my D90.. for events and parties...
Im planning to get this sigma 17-50 to replace my 18-105.. is it worth it? will i produce better quality pictures on this?
or better stick to my current setup...

If you shoot lowlight more often then this is a worthly upgrade

Just bought and lens for my canon.

6599927771_8b03be6f78_b.jpg

No PP. Original photo @ F2.8 50mm
EX SIGMA is the focus point

Last edited:
I already own a Sigma 30mm and I love it to bits! However, I find that I need some zoom capability to better frame my shots, especially in situations when I can't move closer to the subject due to physical barriers. That's why I am seriously considering this lens for my next purchase. But I am unsure as to whether this lens or the Tokina 11-16mm will serve me better? I film mostly Corporate and Event Videos. Anyone can provide their real-life experiences?

In this case, you may want to look into random 28-75 or expensive 24-70 offerings. I personally find that 50 a tad too short for such events.

In this case, you may want to look into random 28-75 or expensive 24-70 offerings. I personally find that 50 a tad too short for such events.

Thank you for your inputs SkyStrike.

I will have to go back to the drawing board and rethink about these options.

The best way I guess is to simply rent these lenses and film some real world scenarios to get a better idea of the range I need.

Im also considering this lens for event shoots...

Thank you for your inputs SkyStrike.

I will have to go back to the drawing board and rethink about these options.

The best way I guess is to simply rent these lenses and film some real world scenarios to get a better idea of the range I need.

The easiest way to find out if 17-50 is enough or not is to use the kit 18-55...If you can't get the reach, your options are relatively clear :p Just that I don't quite like the feeling of losing the wide end...18 vs 24/28mm thou in actual fact, may not be using so much of the wide end (probably 1 in 10 shots).

Im about to buy this lens today but when i checked with SLRREVO they dont have stock...

mackie8 said:
Im about to buy this lens today but when i checked with SLRREVO they dont have stock...

U should have trued somewhere else like CP, J316, TK Photo or at AP :)

StaRIdoL said:
I already own a Sigma 30mm and I love it to bits! However, I find that I need some zoom capability to better frame my shots, especially in situations when I can't move closer to the subject due to physical barriers. That's why I am seriously considering this lens for my next purchase. But I am unsure as to whether this lens or the Tokina 11-16mm will serve me better? I film mostly Corporate and Event Videos. Anyone can provide their real-life experiences?

Why consider an 11-16 wherein u just stated that you need some zoom lens capability in case you can't be closer to the subject?

I used this lens before and it was one of the sharpest or can even come close to the 17-55 or could be equally better or greater.

mackie8 said:
Best price i found so far is at SLR revo

You can try CP & they will match the price but must pay cash.

You can try CP & they will match the price but must pay cash.

Just brought this lens from Orient 1050 they can't match Slr r price of 1039 ....

Im planning to get it on installment.... SLRR's price is 1079 for installment

Hi, I also plan to buy this lens but can someone pls confirm with me. Is the front element rotate when focusing?