Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Hi guys just bought this lens today. Can I ask a really noob question. I cannot hear any sounds when I half depress the shutter so how can I know if my os is working fine? Plainly by shooting to test is a little subjective may I know if there is more certain way?

I don't hear any sound that clue me that the OS is "on" either, when I half press the shutter. Silent. But when I lift my finger off the shutter, I can hear a faint "disengage" sound IF I place my ear next to the lens.

When I turn off my cam, there is a more obvious sound (sounding like "thuk").

Just sharing, you may check whether you experience similar.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sharing. Do you guys find that rotating the focus ring while the AF is engaged results is a very jerky kind of movement? like its scratching some gears along the way. I am extremely concerned if this is a defect!

Taken by Canon 7D + Sigma 17-50mm @ F13, ISO 100, Exposure Time 20 sec, Focal Length 17mm

Just to share:

6887943292_ded874b5be_b.jpg

7056758505_bb5d42994d_b.jpg

Last edited:
hi, im planning to buy this lens. which UV filter is recommended? thanks :)

I'm using B+W UV filter. Am very pleased with this filter.

Taken by Canon 7D + Sigma 17-50mm @ F13, ISO 100, Exposure Time 20 sec, Focal Length 17mm

Just to share:

6887943292_ded874b5be_b.jpg

7056758505_bb5d42994d_b.jpg

Added one more photo taken by sigma 17-50mm

anyone know the local price now? HK price is around 4750hk. dun worth geeting in hk or local as i be in hk in early june.

anyone know the local price now? HK price is around 4750hk. dun worth geeting in hk or local as i be in hk in early june.

Should be around 1k, check the price update forums. I bought mine in B/S for $710 last year, it came with 2years warrenty and 2 calibration.

Should be around 1k, check the price update forums. I bought mine in B/S for $710 last year, it came with 2years warrenty and 2 calibration.

thanks, how come you can get at such a low price?

btw, for calibration, what is the procedure? need to left the camera or them ? how long it take? calibration done locally or send to aboard for calibration?? thanks

btw, for calibration, what is the procedure? need to left the camera or them ? how long it take? calibration done locally or send to aboard for calibration?? thanks

No need to calibrate if no front or back focusing. Would be good to leave the calibration for newer Nikon bodies. So far D7000, D5100, D3100 all no issues. Haven't done calibration b4, so not sure.

Thanks for the sharing. Do you guys find that rotating the focus ring while the AF is engaged results is a very jerky kind of movement? like its scratching some gears along the way. I am extremely concerned if this is a defect!

It's not a lens with full time manual focus, using the focus ring while AF is engaged will probably damage the gears (probably some plastic gears) inside.

anyone got this lens from HK and claim the international warranty or calibration here? the price here and hk is sin dollar $200 plus. Just worry on the warranty and calibration part.

Also anyone compare this with tokina 17 to 15mm?

Thanks

Register online first for the warranty. For calibration, you need to call them first to make an appointment. You need to bring your camera, lens, warranty card and receipt. Calibration is done by the local technician and usually completed on the day itself, unless the issue needs support from japan office.

Just sharing also that sigma operates mon-fri, 9am-5pm. So if you are working, need to take leave or time-off.

Hi there,

Am looking at buying this lens after much deliberation. Any Nikon D7000 users here too?

I bought this lens from SLRR two weeks back... $1039 for the lens itself. I haven't had much time to shoot with it, but I'm very pleased with its performance thus far. Image centre is pretty sharp even at f/2.8, and becomes even more so (along with an improvement in the frame edges) when stopped down slightly, about f/4 - f/5.6. AF is decent; much faster than the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens. Bokeh isn't great (artifacts visible in some cases when pixel peeping), but that's not what this lens is for.

29mm f/3.2 ISO200 with a D5000
7227309634_8be0b3f875_h.jpg

50mm f/2.8 ISO640 with a D5000, focus point was on the hinge of the spectacles frame.
7227308324_f85b34aa13_h.jpg

Last edited:
How does sigma version of 17-50mm compared to canon efs 17-55mm?

Anyone knows

My sigma 17-50mm(nikon) , no matter u turn ON / OFF the os. Exif there the VR only show ON .

Even u turn OFF the os , exif still show vr is ON .

Anyone noticed ?

Hi guys

Just bought this lens yesterday from one of the reputable store in Funan. Though I made a couple of test shots at the store I didn’t notice that the copy I got has a focusing issue.

Im confuse, if I should go back to store and ask for replacement of the same model or bring this lens to Sigma SC for calibration. This lens got 2 years warranty plus 6 months after registering online. What do you guys think the best way to do? May I seek your advise, specially your experience after calibration of the lens. Does it really make a big improvement.

Below are my sample picture all are in the same exposure (1/100) and ISO 400. Im using a 50D body.

Note the GREEN marker is the Gel where I focus. focusing point is the red dot just below the "Super Hard".

Focal Length: 17mm; Exposure: 1/100; f/2.8 ISO: 400 (Evaluative Metering)
17mm_F2_8_ISO-400_Shatter_100_.jpg
[/IMG]

Focal Length: 17mm; Exposure: 1/100; f/2.8 ISO: 400 (Evaluative Metering)
17mm_F2_8_ISO-400_Shatter_100_L.jpg
[/IMG]

Focal Length: 50mm; Exposure: 1/100; f/2.8 ISO: 400 (Evaluative Metering)
50mm_F2_8_ISO-400_Shatter_100_.jpg

50mm_F2_8_ISO-400_Shatter_100_left.jpg

I tried using other Lens
Taken with Canon 50mm 1.8 II
F2_8_ISO-400_Shatter_100_L.jpg[/img][/url]

Use a focusing chart to test better