Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

implusive

Dec 5, 2009
Hey bros, am considering getting this to pair with my 7D. Any bros with comments positive/negative is much appreciated!

implusive said:
Hey bros, am considering getting this to pair with my 7D. Any bros with comments positive/negative is much appreciated!

I am using it with 60D for the past 6 months, so far its very good and no regrets getting it over the tamron vc one after testing both out at the shop for about 1hr before buying.

I used to have the canon king of crop 17-55, then bought the sigma 17-50 and compared it side by side. Wide opened, the sigma is sharper at all focal length, though canon is slightly better at the edges but it doesnt matter me since i dun take landscape and anyway no one take landscape at f2.8.

Stopped down to f4, it super sharp edge to edge at all focal length.

Ita af is fast and silent, though canon seems quieter but similar speed.

The only disadvantage is the focus ring moves during af.

At almost $500 cheaper than canon and with 2.5yrs warranty, it is really value for money and sharper than tamron and canon version.

I have since sold away my canon one after some intensive tests.

Last edited:
I am using it with 60D for the past 6 months, so far its very good and no regrets getting it over the tamron vc one after testing both out at the shop for about 1hr before buying.

I used to have the canon king of crop 17-55, then bought the sigma 17-50 and compared it side by side. Wide opened, the sigma is sharper at all focal length, though canon is slightly better at the edges but it doesnt matter me since i dun take landscape and anyway no one take landscape at f2.8.

At almost $500 cheaper than canon and with 2.5yrs warranty, it is really value for money and sharper than tamron and canon version.

I havr since sold away my canon one after some intensive tests.

Thank you bro!

Very sharp. Good colors buy buy buy!

Ouverture said:

I have since sold away my canon one after some intensive tests.

Well said.

Good lens.

Wow I think this lens is seriously underrated!

Will definitely go test it out! One last question any noticeable distortion at 17mm ?

Agreed the lens is under rated. Tried the lens and first impression is af is very fast. Stopped down to f4 is tack sharp

I'm using it with D5000 and sometimes D90. Overall I'm quite happy with the IQ,sharpness and bokeh. However, some caveats is that the VR element is very "wobbly" when carrying it around and the lens hood is still very loose after "snapping in"

rubberbands said:
I'm using it with D5000 and sometimes D90. Overall I'm quite happy with the IQ,sharpness and bokeh. However, some caveats is that the VR element is very "wobbly" when carrying it around and the lens hood is still very loose after "snapping in"

That's normal.

Hey guys..I'm also choosing between Canon lens and this particular Sigma one. I've read very good reviews on it but those are by professional shooters..any casual shooters here care to share some photos..either processed or not? The reason I'm asking is that the Canon lens I can rent one but no shops seem to carry the Sigma one for rent..thanks!

SmOcKxY said:
Hey guys..I'm also choosing between Canon lens and this particular Sigma one. I've read very good reviews on it but those are by professional shooters..any casual shooters here care to share some photos..either processed or not? The reason I'm asking is that the Canon lens I can rent one but no shops seem to carry the Sigma one for rent..thanks!

Used both before. Both are sharp. If budget get the sigma one

Have recently switched to nikon and have bought back again the same sigma 17-50, yes its that good.

Its already way too sharp at f2.8 from 17-50mm all the way. Tested it against the new nikon 50/1.8G and it seems to match it or even exceed it in sharpness at all apertures.

This is my new benchmark for sharp zoom lens with big aperture at reasonable price. With OS and HSM, it cant be fault.

Any back/front focus issue on this lens?

nikoneer said:
Any back/front focus issue on this lens?

I had this lens in canon and now in nikon mount, both are sharp out of the box. These days the sigma QC are much better.

If u hv body with af micro adjustment like d7000 or 7d, then f/b focusing shouldnt be concern.

I just got mine a couple of days ago. Had a friend who used the Canon's 17-55 for a year or so and he says that this lens is in no way any lesser than it. This is a fantastic lens with a good value. It is pretty much underrated as it is a 3rd party lens, but yes you should give it a try! I prefer this over the Tamron's though.

If you do face any AF issues, simply bring it down to Sigma and you can get your lens and body calibrated. It works perfectly after that! :)

If you can head down to Bangkok, you can get it really cheap at around $767 with 1 year international warranty. Not easy to find though but you can! :)

hmm seems that this is a rather good lens... but i wonder how does this compares optically with Canon L lenses??? i am a current 17-50 non vc user, which lens should consider to replace my 17-50? looking at 24-105 and also 24-70L...