Show us your lighting setups - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elinchrom Quadra at lowest power (8.2Ws) with 1-stop ND gel into 43" convertible umbrella top left, Canon 430EXII with CTO gel at 1/64th power 105mm zoom behind 2 o'clock position. Quadra triggered via Skyport, 430EXII triggered via ST-E2. (The ST-E2 doesn't seem to sync with the Quadra even with self-learning preflash option on) Had a lightmeter with me so if I remb correctly, key light was set to the background ambient and rim light slightly less than a stop over. 1/160th, f/1.8, ISO 400, 85mm f/1.8 on 5D2.

My Strobist hero strikes again! Lovely bokeh!

think the bg is far too distracting...

this 1 pic took me and my friend 1hour+ just to get this pic. need to set up and test with the lightings and all that it really takes time...
place: marina barrage

mememeo.jpg

img1424qs.jpg

Last edited:
another one is a photoshoot on a friend of mine.

img1555x.jpg

img1514ht.jpg

zbehindthescene.jpg

dsc3556.jpg

more pics in my multiply link below..

Last edited:
sharing a setup I did for a D&D..

Elinchrom Quadra "B" head bounced off into a 43" convertible umbrella boomed directly above silver reflector below, "A" head back right with snoot. Pack at 87Ws. 580EXII at 1/8th with various gel and Omnibounce pointing at the backgrond. Triggered via Skyport.

Great setup there J-Chan, if I am elected committee for my company D&D next year. I'll probably use your setup!

I'm guessing its possible the two flashes are optically triggered, and its a Profoto AcuteB 600..

may i ask the following:
(a) your main light activates the 2 flashes?
(b) is the portable light a quadra?

very nice shot u have there!

:eek:

AWESOME Shot!!

Thanks fellas.

The lights were fired via radio triggers.

Strobe on the boom is, as pointed out by J-Chan, the AcuteB600 with a magnum reflector.

Twin 580EXIIs on the avenger grip head.

All lights 1/4 CTO.

4229201176_7ecc52e716.jpg

Photo: Jeremy Chan

Photo shows yours truly in action shooting a pile of oboe reeds in their cases, with a 1DmkIIn and 100macro nonL and tubes.

Strobe setup for all white background images are as follows:

Key light is an Elinchrom Quadra with a 44cm Beauty Dish while a flagged SB800 and 580EXII lit the background. Shot with 2 sheets of white mahjong paper and a very large (and heavy) transparent acrylic board.

Props to J-Chan for shooting with me, and to Snapperholic for loaning the macro lens and tubes.

4229194634_434cd4d712_o.jpg

4228428317_4b371b2841_o.jpg

4229195958_a846591bcf_o.jpg

Last edited:
the reflections were PS-ed right? didn't see any pixelglass/perspex etc etc..

anyway, is there really a need for 2x flashes for tabletop BG? O.O

the reflections were PS-ed right? didn't see any pixelglass/perspex etc etc..

anyway, is there really a need for 2x flashes for tabletop BG? O.O

Nope, the reflection are from the acrylic sheet as you can see laid on the mahjong paper.. You would have a heck of a time trying to PS reflections for the V12 reeds shot (gray box and silver packagings), its quite a complex arrangement.. You don't see the acrylic in the final shot cos the black cards are arranged so that a line of light just glances the edge of the acrylic to mask it away..

2 flashes gives you a more even illumination compared to one..

Haha yeah it's gonna take lots of effort to realistically create reflections for a hundred images shot that day :)

Nope, the reflection are from the acrylic sheet as you can see laid on the mahjong paper.. You would have a heck of a time trying to PS reflections for the V12 reeds shot (gray box and silver packagings), its quite a complex arrangement.. You don't see the acrylic in the final shot cos the black cards are arranged so that a line of light just glances the edge of the acrylic to mask it away..

2 flashes gives you a more even illumination compared to one..

i see.

haha, i actually didn't notice the acrylic in the 'setup shot'.. now i see the edges. have been using the semi-gloss art card all along for such stuff, didn't think of acrylic at all.

anyway, the zack arias stuff u gave was gd. but just wondering, do you have enough space ( or rather length ) in your house to play such that the strobes don't spill onto the subject? mine's only < 7" in length and it's damn hard to control the spill like this. any suggestion for poor hdb ppl? :confused:

nothing to share but just came across this awesome thread today!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Its like way way cool, anyone want to organise a workshop for lighting newbies hahaha:bsmilie:

cheers,
kilkenny

I don't mind holding a workshop or such for a small group of 6/7 people.. Those interested PM me and I'll see what I can organise?

Status
Not open for further replies.