Should I go for E500 or D200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lenses aside, the bodies you are comparing is like apple and oranges, a more suitable comparision would be the E-500 with D50. Features and price wise would be similar. Personally, i feel that between the 2 bodies, i would get the E-500. (Which i did!)

As for lenses, while Oly have less lens, please ask yourself, how many lens do you need ? If you are just taking photography as a hobby, you wouldnt need more then 4 lens i believe. The Oly setup of 11-22mm, 14-54mm (optional), 50mm F2 Macro & 50-200mm would suit almost all but the most demanding needs. Cost of Oly lenses are a deciding factor in this case as the lens i just stated, cost an average of $800 - 1.4k each. Of course, oly does have a consumer range of lens too - 14-45mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm or even the all in 1 18-180mm. Those lens range between 300 - 700.

Oly limited range of lenses is a blessing for me actually. Oly users seldom face the trouble of deciding which lenses has problems with QC, softness etc etc. Every of ZD lens are simply amazing. even for the kit lenses, it had been stated that it already better then what the N/C kits have.

Raptor1 said:
As for lenses, while Oly have less lens, please ask yourself, how many lens do you need ? If you are just taking photography as a hobby, you wouldnt need more then 4 lens i believe.
Don't bet on it.

Raptor1 said:
Oly limited range of lenses is a blessing for me actually. Oly users seldom face the trouble of deciding which lenses has problems with QC, softness etc etc. Every of ZD lens are simply amazing. even for the kit lenses, it had been stated that it already better then what the N/C kits have.
Yeah with no option of lower grade consumer options.

Nikon has the same professional solutions also, it's just by choice people choose the consumer or the professional.

Raptor1 said:
Not true if D70's or D70s' kit lens :nono: .

Regards,
Arto.

had the chance to play with the E500 today when was at singapore expo....
hmm... these are my opinions and in no way disrespect to any system:

i feel, from first impression, the ergonomics and cosmetic of the E500:

1. body too light
2. grip not too comfortable (compared to the D70 or the D200)
3. kit lens feel too plasticky (compared to kit lens of D70)
4. buttons not too user friendly (maybe cause i never use before)

sorry, so i would go for the nikon anytime....
but it might be just me....

5DKM said:
I go for D200 if I have the money

I go for 30D if I have the money. Better noise control e.g at ISO1600 compare to D200

Haze said:
I go for 30D if I have the money. Better noise control e.g at ISO1600 compare to D200

wah siao liao, come to N forum say this thing.... :flame: :kok: ............

heeee, joking only.......... to each his own, everyone got his/her own preference.............

For me, in short, in summary, in conclusion.... I :heart: Nikon......... if got lots & lots of money to get another system, I also don't mind :heart: Canon.... :lovegrin:

N-user said:
wah siao liao, come to N forum say this thing.... :flame: :kok: ............

heeee, joking only.......... to each his own, everyone got his/her own preference.............

For me, in short, in summary, in conclusion.... I :heart: Nikon......... if got lots & lots of money to get another system, I also don't mind :heart: Canon.... :lovegrin:

she is a dog lover.

Haze said:

I will still go for Nikon if got money money money $$$.

Have fun :heart: :lovegrin:

5DKM said:
I will still go for Nikon if got money money money $$$.

Have fun :heart: :lovegrin:

I will buy both if i have $$$. Go for the dark and the white side... :bsmilie:

I think it is time to do some clean up of this type of thread. ie. should I buy Nikon or Oly or Canon etc etc.

I find that this type of thread fall in into the category of General Discussion forum rather than in Nikon forum as it involves other brands and also require views from users of other brand.

Now and in future, such thread will not have a place here in Nikon forum.

I am moving it to General Discussion.

Chng Peng Eik
WON/Nikon Moderator

chngpe01 said:
I think it is time to do some clean up of this type of thread. ie. should I buy Nikon or Oly or Canon etc etc.

I find that this type of thread fall in into the category of General Discussion forum rather than in Nikon forum as it involves other brands and also require views from users of other brand.

Now and in future, such thread will not have a place here in Nikon forum.

I am moving it to General Discussion.

Chng Peng Eik
WON/Nikon Moderator
:thumbsup:

ykkok said:
8R and 6R requires less cropping on 4:3 than 4R. In fact 6R is exactly 4:3.

So what's the trend now? More megapixels to print on smaller format, like 4R? With the cost of 5R and 6R coming down, I start to print bigger format recently.

3R was the standard yesteryears, now 4R, so, what's next?

2.0x is 50% of 35mm format, but how much smaller is 2.0x sensor vs 1.5 or 1.6x sensor?

Just choose the camera or system that suits you needs and budget. :)
I thought S8R and "18R" or 12 by 18 are 3:2 exactly. Been printing uncountable number of copies. Just go to KT or any good lab to print lar.

Artosoft said:
Not true if D70's or D70s' kit lens :nono: .

Regards,
Arto.
depends on which kit lens...if the 14-45 of the EXXX series, I think the 18-70 of D70 is better...but if we are talking about the 14-54 of the E1, then I think this Oly kit lens is better...:)

Hi , just throwing in my 5cts worth . I am a nikon user D70 and s3 fuji I believe the E500 may have better color (saturation and contrast ) without having to go to photoshop, where as the d200 may be more neutral in comparison.
e500 less resolution wise , lighter weight , dust reduction , cheaper, more noise at high iso
d200 extended system, can use old nikon lense, more x , heavier.
depending on the type of photography you do both have advantage
:dunno:

By the way, anyone noticed the thread starter has already made a choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.