Shop Warning

divoloo

Feb 5, 2010
I called SLR Revolution and was quoted a low price for a lens. They even told me it is for cash only. I went all the way from Jurong to the shop and was then told that the price was double what I was quoted on the phone, that I need to purchase a camera to get that offer, a purchase-with-purchase they call it (PWP). I wasted a lot of time travelling to the atm and to the shop and back.

My advice is to beware of such practices by SLR Revolution at Funan.

I hope they don't turn Funan into another Sim Lim Square.

What lens what price? How much lower than other quotes?

They quoted $99 for the old (discontinued) Sigma 19mm f2.8 for micro four thirds.

I even repeated the question to triple confirm before heading down.

Was then told price is $198

I called SLR Revolution and was quoted a low price for a lens. They even told me it is for cash only. I went all the way from Jurong to the shop and was then told that the price was double what I was quoted on the phone, that I need to purchase a camera to get that offer, a purchase-with-purchase they call it (PWP). I wasted a lot of time travelling to the atm and to the shop and back.

They quoted $99 for the old (discontinued) Sigma 19mm f2.8 for micro four thirds.

This one?

https://www.facebook.com/1699956174...294745.169995617491/10152640376132492/?type=1

i heard they are operated by Bally photo and they have since transfer their operations to Funan from Sim Lim . their prices are all coded possibly to prevent you from price shopping.

i heard they are operated by Bally photo and they have since transfer their operations to Funan from Sim Lim . their prices are all coded possibly to prevent you from price shopping.

I hate coded prices.......

the solution for dealing with coded prices is simple: just walk away and buy from elsewhere..

I never really had issues with slrr based on the few purchases I made from them.

Perhaps someone from slrr should come in to give their side of the story to clear things up.

My experience is generally quite positive with SLRR, maybe there is a communication breakdown some where. Anyway, generally before heading in for any purchases, I send different shops asking for e-quote. Then print out the quote and bring down to them.

So far, Cathay Photo, SLRR, TKfoto, John3:16 and MScolor, all honor their equote so I really have no problem with them. Sometime, these shop don't reply, but it is okay, because they are not the only one who have that product. I normally don't call them... because it can be quite difficult on phone and the other member can deny having ever promise something. So I always go for black and white.

the solution for dealing with coded prices is simple: just walk away and buy from elsewhere..

So who practice coded price in Funan ? ALan photo, SLR R, Bally Photo and their associated shops, Piccel, 25 cam

Unless you have done your home work, don't shop with them because they can quote you higher price if they want to chop you.

Some shops use coded price labels. Some shops use price lists in folders. I do not see a problem with that. Different shops organize differently.

As long as they quote you a price, you find ok then buy. If you do not find ok then don't buy...

Last edited:
Some shops use coded price labels. Some shops use price lists in folders. I do not see a problem with that. Different shops organize differently. As long as they quote you a price, you find ok then buy. If you do not find ok then don't buy...

I agree. End of the day still need to do your homework before buying. No point list down the prices but the most expensive. 3 quotes choose the cheapest is the easiest. Just have to walk a bit more.

It's definitely misleading to quote customers a PWP price without stating the conditions from the start.

Curious, after you were told the actual price, did you manage to ask them about the misleading quote given over the phone? What was their response/explanation?

For example, if we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume this isn't how they usually operate, maybe it was an inexperienced staff who gave the wrong info out of ignorance? E.g., Maybe they took a quick look at the promo tag or something and just gave that info over the phone without checking... Still a mistake but a different one?

I mean, logically speaking, while what happened to you was misleading, I find it hard to imagine a shop deliberately doing this regularly. It doesn't really make sense... Unless they con the customer into paying first, then extorting them with extra fees to get the item (SLS-iphone style), then I can understand the appeal of possibly being able to con people.

In this case though, what is the desired outcome? That the customer decides to purchase something they didn't want in order to get the PWP price for the item they want? Really doubt it. It feels like any shop owner with a brain will know that chances of the customer being upset is pretty much 100%, and you won't be able to close a sale at all. Kinda counter-productive.

Last edited:
Actually ts should also know the $99 tag is too good to be true. Just curious, did TS know about pwp deal before calling?

I have bought few stuff from SLR Revolution for years. No problem at all.
Maybe it just an isolated case.
Anyway, if you no happy with the price just don't buy.

Sometimes it's how the shop operates that gives us confidence to buy from them or not. For example the ground floor shop Piccel quote prices without GST . SO anyone who walks in will think prices are cheaper and then when you finally struck the deal, he shows you with an invoice with GST.

Can retailers quote price without GST ? And why do they want to quote prices without GST ?

GST registered business must show GST-inclusive prices on all price displays (e.g. price tags, price lists, advertisements, publicity brochures, website). Prices that are quoted, whether written or verbal, must also be GST-inclusive. Failure to do so is an offence and offenders may be fined for up to $5000.
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=824

SO that shop has actually committed an offence .

Last edited:
Unless you have done your home work, don't shop with them because they can quote you higher price if they want to chop you.
No shop is obligated to offer you the lowest price in town. Coded prices might sound better, but in general it leads to higher prices. You cannot have both..

Well I have been visiting SLRR for my previous purchases and I dare say I am okay with everything until one incident where I overheard another customer asking for a quote on a particular body. Out of boredom while I was waiting for payment, I asked a similar question and guess what, my quote was higher than what I overheard. Although not by a significant amount, I feel that this culture is rather unethical considering my high praises for the shop previously.

My case aside, your incident may not be entirely intended since it can be implicit that you are aware of the PWP terms when you learn about the deal (since it was stated in the poster).

Well I have been visiting SLRR for my previous purchases and I dare say I am okay with everything until one incident where I overheard another customer asking for a quote on a particular body. Out of boredom while I was waiting for payment, I asked a similar question and guess what, my quote was higher than what I overheard. Although not by a significant amount, I feel that this culture is rather unethical considering my high praises for the shop previously.

My case aside, your incident may not be entirely intended since it can be implicit that you are aware of the PWP terms when you learn about the deal (since it was stated in the poster).

That's what you get for shopping at shops with CODED price. I can bet you if you ask them to quote 10 items and then ask them to requote again, they will give you a different price !

Last edited:
i think probably a **** up from the staff. they quote me a super price for a bag before. i asked them to double check before i buy and turns out really was a mistake that took 3 ppl to figure out.

if its too good to be true then its probably is.