Shop Warning

And why do they want to quote prices without GST ?

Sometime people would ask for price without GST because they can claim GST when they leave Singapore (only for foreigner). So it became a practice for some shop to quote without the GST, however in their e-quote, they normally will state that the price quoted are with or without GST

(for example, "Please note that the price(s) quoted are exclusive of 7% GST and in Singapore Dollars. Valid for a period of 1 week from the date of this email, after which any changes will be made without prior notice. The acceptable mode of payment is CASH ONLY.")

Last edited:
Sometime people would ask for price without GST because they can claim GST when they leave Singapore (only for foreigner). So it became a practice for some shop to quote without the GST, however in their e-quote, they normally will state that the price quoted are with or without GST
Maybe initially a good idea for shops frequented by tourists but over the time is has been perverted into a scheme of luring customers into purchases with prices that only appear to be cheaper. Then suddenly GST comes in and other crap materialized (the infamous UV filters and wide angle / macro adapters). Since CASE doesn't give two hoots about the quotes without GST despite the clear rules it is only the customer's middle finger that remains. Use it.

Hmm... Is TS aware of this specific purchase with purchase promotion?

If TS is unaware, then I would say a lens going for half price should have raised alarm bells.

If TS is aware of the promotion, and specifically asked if he can simply purchase the lens without the associated camera for the same price, then I would have asked to speak to the salesperson who agreed over the phone.

(for example, "Please note that the price(s) quoted are exclusive of 7% GST and in Singapore Dollars. Valid for a period of 1 week from the date of this email, after which any changes will be made without prior notice. The acceptable mode of payment is CASH ONLY.")

Yup, I still get some e-quotes like this.

Like I previously posted here, this practice is actually an offence (according to IRAS) and businesses which do this are liable to be fined $5K.

ACD9Td1.png

i think probably a **** up from the staff. they quote me a super price for a bag before. i asked them to double check before i buy and turns out really was a mistake that took 3 ppl to figure out.

if its too good to be true then its probably is.

if i were you, i faster give them the money and take the bag and leave, don't let them re quote you the higher price. their mistake your gain.

My experience is generally quite positive with SLRR, maybe there is a communication breakdown some where. Anyway, generally before heading in for any purchases, I send different shops asking for e-quote. Then print out the quote and bring down to them.

So far, Cathay Photo, SLRR, TKfoto, John3:16 and MScolor, all honor their equote so I really have no problem with them. Sometime, these shop don't reply, but it is okay, because they are not the only one who have that product. I normally don't call them... because it can be quite difficult on phone and the other member can deny having ever promise something. So I always go for black and white.

Hi rhino123, i beg to differ when u mentioned that MS Color honor their e-quote. I had a bad experience with them a few yrs ago, using e-quote. I don't know if i am the only unlucky guy out there with bad experience with MS color or not, as i keep seeing praises for them? I was being e-quoted a much lower price for an item, went to their shop, and they dis-honoured the e-quote.

Anyway it's just my worthless rant. TS is probably just like me, down with luck to have a bad experience with SLRR staff. I, too din have much of an issue with SLRR.

Hi rhino123, i beg to differ when u mentioned that MS Color honor their e-quote. I had a bad experience with them a few yrs ago, using e-quote. I don't know if i am the only unlucky guy out there with bad experience with MS color or not, as i keep seeing praises for them? I was being e-quoted a much lower price for an item, went to their shop, and they dis-honoured the e-quote.

Anyway it's just my worthless rant. TS is probably just like me, down with luck to have a bad experience with SLRR staff. I, too din have much of an issue with SLRR.
Did you brought it up to their lady boss Florence?