Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, when i do wedding shoots for my friends, I would almost always use Av - Aperture Priority, unless special occasion arises. This is because i'm almost always doing portraits for weddings. I just love that creamy bokeh of my 70-200 F2.8 @ it's widest aperture when using it for portraits. Don't you? This focal length is perfect for all my portrait shots with my 5D. I had learnt to always watch out for my shutter speed (learnt it the hard way) for the focal length that i'm using to prevent handshake/movement blur. Use the exposure compensation to compensate for metering of scenes.

Having done several weddings, I've learnt that impromptu events happen all the time and fidgeting to get the exposure will almost garunteee that you'll lose that moment. I don't even change lens during a wedding shoot. Unless it's studio shooting where you'll have the luxury of time, full manual mode just dun make sense for me when shooting events (weddings proceedings are considered as events in my book).

Some things that i've learnt is that to always set the shutter mode to continuous shooting. When there's an important shot (die die must have shot). Squeeze off a few frames. You'll be surprise at the different expressions of the bride's/bridegroom's smile at different frames.

For me, when i do wedding shoots for my friends, I would almost always use Av - Aperture Priority, unless special occasion arises. This is because i'm almost always doing portraits for weddings. I just love that creamy bokeh of my 70-200 F2.8 @ it's widest aperture when using it for portraits. Don't you? This focal length is perfect for all my portrait shots with my 5D. I had learnt to always watch out for my shutter speed (learnt it the hard way) for the focal length that i'm using to prevent handshake/movement blur. Use the exposure compensation to compensate for metering of scenes.

Having done several weddings, I've learnt that impromptu events happen all the time and fidgeting to get the exposure will almost garunteee that you'll lose that moment. I don't even change lens during a wedding shoot. Unless it's studio shooting where you'll have the luxury of time, full manual mode just dun make sense for me when shooting events (weddings proceedings are considered as events in my book).

Some things that i've learnt is that to always set the shutter mode to continuous shooting. When there's an important shot (die die must have shot). Squeeze off a few frames. You'll be surprise at the different expressions of the bride's/bridegroom's smile at different frames.

I think you have just described my situation perfectly.
HOWEVER, I think the other people posting on this forum are 100% sure they can capture everything using manual mode.. their fingers and intuition are so meshed.

i love this ongoing discussion.

but please, all for the sake of sharing, let's not dwell into what's 'right' or 'wrong', or criticise what mode others' use ya!...

ah seng, i agree to your shooting style with regards to last para.
i went through my 2.3k shots, and i'm very happy i had a few precious moments where my cam was set to continuous firing.

but please, all for the sake of sharing, let's not dwell into what's 'right' or 'wrong', or criticise what mode others' use ya!...

i went through my 2.3k shots, and i'm very happy i had a few precious moments where my cam was set to continuous firing.

2.3K shots and only have a few precious moments??? Maybe you should try shooting 10K shots then can get more precious moments

Since you say it is precious moments, can I see, please!!! :lovegrin: Don't worry, we wouldn't criticise bad things one. Just want to share your joy. You said like dat and I can't see, I very disappointed leh :(

2.3k of photo.. OMG.. :eek:

2.3K shots and only have a few precious moments??? Maybe you should try shooting 10K shots then can get more precious moments

Since you say it is precious moments, can I see, please!!! :lovegrin: Don't worry, we wouldn't criticise bad things one. Just want to share your joy. You said like dat and I can't see, I very disappointed leh :(

i'm sorry to disappoint.but i'll only send to trusted people for their c&c(if i even wanted any at all).
cos i've come to learn that photos are so subjective, and that as long as i like it, i really dont give a damn what others say :bsmilie:

your 'wouldnt criticise bad things one' is really something which i hope Csers will do away with.when one wants criticisms, it should be as critical as possible.else, how to improve?
all the :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and 'nosebleed', 'more more more' isnt really going to help the singapore community of photographers to improve at all.i do hope you rethink that.

ok.back to topic

i'm sorry to disappoint.but i'll only send to trusted people for their c&c(if i even wanted any at all).
cos i've come to learn that photos are so subjective, and that as long as i like it, i really dont give a damn what others say :bsmilie:

your 'wouldnt criticise bad things one' is really something which i hope Csers will do away with.when one wants criticisms, it should be as critical as possible.else, how to improve?
all the :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and 'nosebleed', 'more more more' isnt really going to help the singapore community of photographers to improve at all.i do hope you rethink that.

ok.back to topic

you can post your photos in the thread and lock it so that no one will post comments. :lovegrin:

2.3k of photo.. OMG.. :eek:

More like 1.15K because sheshot JPEG+RAW, so it's double the actual number of photos lah. If she shot RAW or JPEG only it's half the number.

Anyway she starting to be like me :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Before Iraq war I was busy shooting George Bush... kena chase away by secret service so many times in a day.... by the day was over I have over 1K of jpegs from machine gunning, of which only 200 were usable. The rest were shots of a big black man in a suit standing over little me ;p

More like 1.15K because sheshot JPEG+RAW, so it's double the actual number of photos lah. If she shot RAW or JPEG only it's half the number.

Anyway she starting to be like me :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Before Iraq war I was busy shooting George Bush... kena chase away by secret service so many times in a day.... by the day was over I have over 1K of jpegs from machine gunning, of which only 200 were usable. The rest were shots of a big black man in a suit standing over little me ;p

wrong.
i shot raw 80-90% of the shots, only about 10% i shot jpeg.
so they are essentially 2.3k of different pics.

I gaze at my crystal ball and see a 1D Mk III in your future.

I gaze at my crystal ball and see a 1D Mk III in your future.

i still dream of it's curves every now and then.
absolutely gorgeous camera.

wrong.
i shot raw 80-90% of the shots, only about 10% i shot jpeg.
so they are essentially 2.3k of different pics.

:bigeyes: How to PP :sweat: :sweat:

how?by using LR and CS3.
i got no deadlines to meet, and i dont need to answer to anyone.that's how lor.:cool:

how?by using LR and CS3.
i got no deadlines to meet, and i dont need to answer to anyone.that's how lor.:cool:

You got alot of patience :)

2.3k shots is not consider really a lot la...i also hit that amount b4...with lightroom it was a breeze...

2.3k shots is not consider really a lot la...i also hit that amount b4...with lightroom it was a breeze...

You also got alot of patience ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.