sharing a bad experience with a 2nd hand camera shop

loath

Mar 10, 2009
hi everyone. i am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread.anyway, moderators can move this post if i parked in the wrong lot. just wanna share my experience and see if you guys ever had the same thing happened.
recently i bought a nikon camera and a lens in one of the second hand shops in peninsula plaza.totalling more than 2 and a half grand. i do buy second hand stuff around that area but i thought i went to that particular shop(for the first time)as it serves my needs and budget.soon after purchase, i realized that the sensor had some dust particles.i was given a one month warranty by the shop.i took this as goodwill as other shops that i patronized usually offers 2 to 3 months.so two weeks after purchase i made a call to the shop explaining him about the problem.he gladly says that it just needed some cleaning and servicing but i mentioned that i can only sent in much later because i knew it pass the one month period.courteously, he agreed.after coming back a few days more than a month,he took it in happily and told me to come the next day as he was busy to clean it at that moment.next day i came in..eager to take my camera home and suddenly he dropped a bombshell-i have to pay him $50 for the service.he explained that the sensor was very very dirty and it took him alot of time and effort to clean the sensor.he even told me that i did not take care of the camera as it should.i told him it was bought here and he guaranteed that the camera was in good working condition when purchased.he looked at me with along face like hes telling me "not my problem".did'nt argue further.i just paid and left his shop.
i just wanna know if any of you guys had a similar experience/run/beef with any shops around that area.i should have stuck with the same place that i always go(been going there for the past 3 yrs).this post is not intended to smear the name of that particular shop and im not whining like a baby...just wanna know if you guys ever had the same thing happened and sharing it with other members.

hi everyone. i am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread.anyway, moderators can move this post if i parked in the wrong lot. just wanna share my experience and see if you guys ever had the same thing happened.
recently i bought a nikon camera and a lens in one of the second hand shops in peninsula plaza.totalling more than 2 and a half grand. i do buy second hand stuff around that area but i thought i went to that particular shop(for the first time)as it serves my needs and budget.soon after purchase, i realized that the sensor had some dust particles.i was given a one month warranty by the shop.i took this as goodwill as other shops that i patronized usually offers 2 to 3 months.so two weeks after purchase i made a call to the shop explaining him about the problem.he gladly says that it just needed some cleaning and servicing but i mentioned that i can only sent in much later because i knew it pass the one month period.courteously, he agreed.after coming back a few days more than a month,he took it in happily and told me to come the next day as he was busy to clean it at that moment.next day i came in..eager to take my camera home and suddenly he dropped a bombshell-i have to pay him $50 for the service.he explained that the sensor was very very dirty and it took him alot of time and effort to clean the sensor.he even told me that i did not take care of the camera as it should.i told him it was bought here and he guaranteed that the camera was in good working condition when purchased.he looked at me with along face like hes telling me "not my problem".did'nt argue further.i just paid and left his shop.
i just wanna know if any of you guys had a similar experience/run/beef with any shops around that area.i should have stuck with the same place that i always go(been going there for the past 3 yrs).this post is not intended to smear the name of that particular shop and im not whining like a baby...just wanna know if you guys ever had the same thing happened and sharing it with other members.

If the shop promised to clean the sensor on warranty after that come and slap on a $50 that is not right. If he think that the cleaning is a hard job that he cannot do then he should call you to tell you he need to charge $50 and if you like to proceed, not go ahead and clean without asking and then charge you $50.

You should not pay too.

Also, whats the point of telling us this when you don't want to name the shop? Don't waste people's time reading your thread and story for nothing, tell us which shop or delete the thread. The reason people read the thread is want to know which shop and avoid. Nobody wants to read post after post and still donno which shop. If you post to vent and ask for empathy, yes I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
If the shop promised to clean the sensor on warranty after that come and slap on a $50 that is not right. If he think that the cleaning is a hard job that he cannot do then he should call you to tell you he need to charge $50 and if you like to proceed, not go ahead and clean without asking and then charge you $50.

You should not pay too.

Also, whats the point of telling us this when you don't want to name the shop? Don't waste people's time reading your thread and story for nothing, tell us which shop or delete the thread. The reason people read the thread is want to know which shop and avoid. Nobody wants to read post after post and still donno which shop. If you post to vent and ask for empathy, yes I feel sorry for you.

thank you for your comments.appreciate it.and yes, he did not inform me earlier of any charges.i just find it funny that he suddenly forgot about me being in his shop for 4 hrs and buying hes stuff.too many customers,perhaps?do you think i am also partially to be blamed as i did not ask him for the cleaning price?but his guarantee covers everything and he says i can bring it back to him if any problem arises.dunno,,just a thought.

Yup. I agree with this too.

That is sort of unethical when he told you this business about 'not taking care of camera like you should' if you ask me. Sounds like he was really suspicious of this.

Did he do a good job cleaning sensor I hope?

I wouldn't sweat the extra 50 if he did. I also would not name him and let him go. Thread should remain as a lesson to buyers to check everything out completely as the onus is really on the buyer with second hand purchase in my opinion...as is/buyer beware. Again it was used and not shiny brand new.

Now if he scratched sensor when he did this then you really got screwed.

I am curious what model you purchased.

Also I believe sensor cleaning is not that difficult or expensive to diy and many youtube videos and probably threads even on this forum board explain that process.

Last edited:
I doubt the shop covers sensor dust in the "warranty". Anyway these shop warranty are very "grey" as there's no written T&C on coverage etc unlike manufacturers warranty.

Objectively I feel it is hard to prove whether the sensor dust is pre-existing or caused by buyer when using. For mirrorless it is really easy for dust to settle in, but similarly it is easy for buyer to inspect before buying the camera.

Since you've already paid up, looks like you accepted the terms.

I doubt the shop covers sensor dust in the "warranty". Anyway these shop warranty are very "grey" as there's no written T&C on coverage etc unlike manufacturers warranty.

Objectively I feel it is hard to prove whether the sensor dust is pre-existing or caused by buyer when using. For mirrorless it is really easy for dust to settle in, but similarly it is easy for buyer to inspect before buying the camera.

Since you've already paid up, looks like you accepted the terms.

thanks for your comments.i have bought cameras from other shops and sensor cleaning is covered under its limited warranty time.ni issue of returning back to clean it up for free.perhaps i took it for granted that this particular shop would also offer the same coverage.i agree with what you said.its a grey area of understanding between 2 parties.i should have asked more info before purchasing..

If no name mention, than don't need to move to consumers corner.

That is what kopitiam do best, tkss, kpkb and ot all the way.

thank you for your comments.appreciate it.and yes, he did not inform me earlier of any charges.i just find it funny that he suddenly forgot about me being in his shop for 4 hrs and buying hes stuff.too many customers,perhaps?do you think i am also partially to be blamed as i did not ask him for the cleaning price?but his guarantee covers everything and he says i can bring it back to him if any problem arises.dunno,,just a thought.

Or pay $30 at Nikon...

Thread moved to Consumers Corner, rules of this sub forum apply.

After a bad experience w a shop, I never buy from any of these shops anymore. Back then I bought a second hand lens for a Europe trip. Internal lens element fell off first day of the 21 days trip.

Having said that, buying second hand from anyone carries a big risk. Thankfully I have met many people who are honest and ethical to uphold our Singaporean integrity.

After a bad experience w a shop, I never buy from any of these shops anymore. Back then I bought a second hand lens for a Europe trip. Internal lens element fell off first day of the 21 days trip.

Having said that, buying second hand from anyone carries a big risk. Thankfully I have met many people who are honest and ethical to uphold our Singaporean integrity.

thank you for sharing your experience.not all of them are terrible,its just a few who put a bad name for this industry.

Are there any 2nd hand shops that ARE reputable people can recommend? I am looking for Canon FD lenses amongst other things :)

Are there any 2nd hand shops that ARE reputable people can recommend? I am looking for Canon FD lenses amongst other things :)

through my personal experience, P&G is not bad.its at ground floor of peninsula hotel facing the coffee shop. black market has alot of stuff too but the boss gets easily put off if you return his lens with problems.Ben photo is also ok. its just the other side of the said coffee shop. but usually i go to P&G(andrew) cos he does'nt mind solving any issues within a month of purchase.but don't take my word for it..you can check out yourself and search around to heart's content.cheers!

As far as I know, dust is never covered under any warranty, be it by big brands or small shop, be it locally or US/Europe/Asia.

Dust is part and parcel of camera use. You will accumulate more and more dust on the camera sensor the more you use it. You need to learn to blow the dust from time to time, or even better, learn to clean your own sensors.

If you want to buy 2nd hand, it is always prudent to learn how to check for issues. Most of the time, as soon as you walk out the door, it is bye bye.

Last edited:
As far as I know, dust is never covered under any warranty, be it by big brands or small shop, be it locally or US/Europe/Asia.

Dust is part and parcel of camera use. You will accumulate more and more dust on the camera sensor the more you use it. You need to learn to blow the dust from time to time, or even better, learn to clean your own sensors.

If you want to buy 2nd hand, it is always prudent to learn how to check for issues. Most of the time, as soon as you walk out the door, it is bye bye.

hehe perhaps there is one exception. if the camera was a D600 the dust/oil spots problem is covered :p

you're right. i should have checked thoroughly before payment is done.lesson learned.

Be careful when buying old gear.

Many have underlying problem its too common.

Its what you want to accept and compromise.

Thats why never pay high price for old gear, especially those that are in abundance.