Sentosa Flowers 2011 (3-13 Feb)

This afternoon i saw that wolff chatting with 2 curious ladies at mid level. :bigeyes:

Wah, you spotted me but sorry no prize for you unless you want a wet kiss from me. ;p
The two china PR ladies were interested in what we are shooting and she can't figure why her DSLR isn't giving her the same picture as ours.
So our in-house expert, Reportage, demo to them, like switching on VR on her nikon and when to use Active and Normal mode.
My role is just as a translator. ;)

My flower pictures will come later but here's my view of the crowd going into Sentosa.
179214_188507634504945_100000371282574_535594_3821570_n.jpg

Have u visited the entire exhibition?

I think so.
The staff even direct me to the wrong way.
I was hoping that will be the real show location but ended wasting my energy and time to climb up the slopes back again to the same boring area.

Two words from me : totally disappointed :confused:

Botanic Garden is a much better place if you wanna shoot flowers.

Last edited:
went there this morning, reach about 9.45am. By 11am, the crowds starts swelling and by 1pm... it's jam pack... at vivo, the queue is all the way to the 2nd floor... but pretty orderly... I think tomorrow's crowd will be worse.

pic from my phone -
photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

To be frank, the flower festival has really limited species of flowers :(

wt?? so many ppl??? think i should give it a miss this year. reminds me of horrible ndp and new year countdowns exp.

I think so.
The staff even direct me to the wrong way.
I was hoping that will be the real show location but ended wasting my energy and time to climb up the slopes back again to the same boring area.

Two words from me : totally disappointed :confused:

Botanic Garden is a much better place if you wanna shoot flowers.

Initially i thought only at boardwalk area but continues at imbiah station, to merlion and images of singapore.

wt?? so many ppl??? think i should give it a miss this year. reminds me of horrible ndp and new year countdowns exp.

I missed the new year count down last year for the fireworks.... Cause my wife wasnt well... bomber...

NOT going to miss this year... Already book a room for Marina Bay Sands...

Wah, you spotted me but sorry no prize for you unless you want a wet kiss from me. ;p
The two china PR ladies were interested in what we are shooting and she can't figure why her DSLR isn't giving her the same picture as ours.
So our in-house expert, Reportage, demo to them, like switching on VR on her nikon and when to use Active and Normal mode.

My flower pictures will come later but here's my view of the crowd going into Sentosa.
179214_188507634504945_100000371282574_535594_3821570_n.jpg

Yo lonewolf.... So did you managed to take any good photo at sentosa? Or you just went for first recce?

Huh wat prize?????

I could be 2K richer if i shot & submit that instance to "Magical Moments" photo contest.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
Yo lonewolf.... So did you managed to take any good photo at sentosa? Or you just went for first recce?

This was suppose to be a recce before the main force arrival on 12 Feb.
But the commander is reconsidering the deployment as it might be difficult for such a large group to operate.

Got a few pictures but I'm not sure if it is considered as decent.
180676_188536817835360_100000371282574_535829_3425465_n.jpg

168628_188528784502830_100000371282574_535777_4170494_n.jpg

167530_188527881169587_100000371282574_535761_3225968_n.jpg

167769_188528127836229_100000371282574_535764_2517851_n.jpg

167185_188546814501027_100000371282574_535871_380617_n.jpg

The last picture was taken straight from the camera without any PP.
Reportage is the artist that came out with this concept, I just copied the idea.

This was suppose to be a recce before the main force arrival on 12 Feb.
But the commander is reconsidering the deployment as it might be difficult for such a large group to operate.

Looks decent to me.

Question is whether the flowers will still be decent by the 12 Feb?

Initially i thought only at boardwalk area but continues at imbiah station, to merlion and images of singapore.

yes, i went all the way from boardwalk up to imbiah station then beach station.

Looks decent to me.

Question is whether the flowers will still be decent by the 12 Feb?

Well, have to ask commander to burn those big big incense to pray that the flowers survive.
But I won't bet any money on its survival since odds seems to be against it.

nice photos! what lens are u using??
i do not have macro lens, what other types of lens will be more suitable to take flowers? I have 70-300mm, 35mm, or just normal 18-55m?

Snoweagle said:
This was taken yesterday afternoon with my 70-300.

That is a lot of people. Wow.

nice photos! what lens are u using??
i do not have macro lens, what other types of lens will be more suitable to take flowers? I have 70-300mm, 35mm, or just normal 18-55m?
It all depends how much space you have to work with because a lot of beginners seem to forget there is such thing as minimum focusing distance. Too near the subject and the lens wont focus basically.

if your question was targeted at me, what i was doing i wont say is macro but simply close up photography. I limited myself to pics that look nice with at most 5x zoom. What i used was the pentax FA50mm F/1.4 which i think is possibly the only lens i have that can have blur background even at F/11 or F/16. Generally i used F/8 so that enough depth of field but in some case, F/16 also works just that need to play with iso/shutterspeed/flash so its pretty handy to bring a tripod along.

As for the choice of lens, even the venerable "el cheapo" 50mm f/1.8 will do in my opinion.

One thing, if i want to do this on a long term basis..i will definitely need a camera with flip-able lcd. Damn its useful when adjusting high/low angle shots.

A good thing about flowers...can generally practice at home.

Last edited:
yes, i went all the way from boardwalk up to imbiah station then beach station.

That is a lot of people. Wow.

Yupz will have to take more time to shoot and cover everything today. In fact as I'm posting now, I'm already in NE line to harbourfront, but will go have breakfast first.

Hopefully can at least beat the later crowd.

Yupz will have to take more time to shoot and cover everything today. In fact as I'm posting now, I'm already in NE line to harbourfront, but will go have breakfast first.

Hopefully can at least beat the later crowd.

Oh please do update us on the crowd...