Sad and disappointed (Previously a happy Nikon User)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bro, do not overlook the MA if you are experiencing AF issues ...... It could be your lifesaver ....... Dun risk it.

That time I was still using a D80 so I can't do MA. Its only after I changed to D7000 then I can do it but I was already disappointed with the service.

That time I was still using a D80 so I can't do MA. Its only after I changed to D7000 then I can do it but I was already disappointed with the service.

... they dun provide free coffee and tea ...... :p

Based on what was recently reported -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/1013980-7d-weather-sealing-problem-solved.html seem Canon Service Centre is more open to reasoning.

As I am not a Nikon user, I would reserve my comment on the NSC. Maybe other would like to share their experience instead? Personally I find that CSC services acceptable with or without having to show my CPS membership at the counter. Just my 2 cents.

But as what I was told by my friend who is Canon user. CSC will charged you for the inspection irregular-less the camera working fine or not.
I am not referring to CPS membership but just a hobbyist.

NSC is FOC for inspection. :)

Hi all. Would like to share some sentiments I've had from various experiences as a nikon user in the last 1 year. The disclaimer would be that I'm an ex-C camp user but do not bring in brand war conversations unless you really know what you're talking about.

Alot of things i'm going to share are not always scientific that's why I would like the opinions of fellow users. I'm a D700 user and have used 4 copies of D700s. Have owned a D3 as well.

1. Current Nikon AF system is "degrading" in relative quality due to the release of the new recent f1.4 lenses eg. 24G, 35G, 85G.

Previously I did not notice issues while I was using the 50 f1.4G. These lenses are all higher quality but all required micro-adjustment to achieve peak accuracy/precision. NSC told me this is the user's responsibility. Interestingly the MA value for multiple bodies are the same. This subject is more complicated than it looks because accuracy not equals precision and focus shift can affect the best MA value to get the best DOF balance for all AF distances. On average I spent 3 months on each lens to figure out that magical number. That is a heck load of time wasted. I can share some of my findings if any of you bros need help. Btw I spent a short time on a D3 and could not fix these issues. The D3S was much better (from LCD screen).

2. Maintenance pricing at NSC Singapore is simply too expensive. I don't expect angelic service and non-rhetorical warranty but estimations of $500-$600 for an average shutter change and $100+ dollars for a hot-shoe is infuriating.

3. I still do not like out of box nikon color even after shooting RAW and custom WB. First off I'm all for skintones. I've used everything from CaptureNX, Lightroom 3 (my main workhorse software) & I believe that simple PP can't solve this problem because C & N color/balance rendition is just different starting from the sensor & lens coating. JPEGs from the D700 are unusable to me. When I first migrated from 1DsII to D700 my workflow for colour became more complicated overnight, correct yet pleasing RGB/CMYK skintone is easy to achieve last time but for the nikons (D3/D700) it's abit of a chore. Btw, i'm not a photoshop expert so I might be all wrong.

4. AWB is awful or not to my taste. This applies especially for the D700 AWB (greenish cast in 60% of situations yet Magenta 1 shift destroys skintones) and sadly the D3S samples I saw were better but not by a huge margin. Could this just be a matter of taste or a real technical issue?

Needs comments from bros here as I love this system for the consistency but this has troubled in for a while!

Feel free to question my workflow and how I process my images/operate my camera etc. Whatever it takes to solve my Nikon woes... i'm out for it.

Everything I use in the Nikon camp works for me..... check your settings ?

:)

But as what I was told by my friend who is Canon user. CSC will charged you for the inspection irregular-less the camera working fine or not.
I am not referring to CPS membership but just a hobbyist.

NSC is FOC for inspection. :)

Strange.. with reference to my experience I don't get charge for inspection/diagnose of my equipment when I visit CSC. And that is before I show identify myself as a CPS member. Normally they would diagnose the issue, and would call you if any repair is required. If no cost is required after diagnose, they would just send you an SMS with a $0 amount for your collection.

OT: On a separate note, I would say "Nikon Club" does give alot benefits to it's Nikon users just for them posting photos in their "forum". With the points they can exchange for free tickets to various events. Compared to Canon I would say most of the major events the organised are open to ALL and hence no bias toward Canon camera users.

... they dun provide free coffee and tea ...... :p

OT:I remember someone ask me why I choose Canon instead of Nikon... I was jokeful responded... CSC have free coffee/tea and I don't need to pay ERP and parking when I was there. Haha

Last edited:
Anson said:
OT:I remember someone ask me why I choose Canon instead of Nikon... I was jokeful responded... CSC have free coffee/tea and I don't need to pay ERP and parking when I was there. Haha

I choose Nikon because they have hot chocolate:bsmilie:

I choose Nikon because they have hot chocolate:bsmilie:

OT: CSC have it too... does NPS uses a dispensing machine? If yes, I guess it the same.

Jokes aside, I think none of us would like to go there too often (and unlikely just for their drinks). It the confidently that we can get our issues resolved asap and not burning a big hole in your pocket. Agree?

Anson said:
OT: CSC have it too... does NPS uses a dispensing machine? If yes, I guess it the same.

Jokes aside, I think none of us would like to go there too often (and unlikely just for their drinks). It the confidently that we can get our issues resolved asap and not burning a big hole in your pocket. Agree?

Haha if I can choose, I wish not to visit there at all

Set ur own picture control , the colour that u like . Ur own preference , everyone has his own preference .

Glad to see some light heartedness and humour injected into a supposedly solemn thread.:p

Glad to see some light heartedness and humour injected into a supposedly solemn thread.:p
Haha, I actually learned a lot from this thread.....technical as well as the soft touch of people. There is disagreement(s), and hot discussions but there is no personal attack (almost at 1 point though) and no insisting that someone has to agree with anyone's view. My respect to TS and all those who contributed.

An interesting read.... that said. TS still has lots to learn.

For the wedding company that I am associated with, you must shoot about 2k images and all of your color tones have to be perfect. You have 24hrs from the time that the wedding ends to deliver images back to the corporate office where they will do all post-production. I shoot in compressed NEF on a D3 and I use custom WB. I agree with the TS that AWB will almost kill you all the time; except that the only exception is where the shots are done outdoors.

One of my CF slots on my D3 recently got fried and was willing to pay close to $800 to get the slot working again because I use both slots when I am shooting a wedding. Most likely, I have put about 60k actuations through it before it got busted.

Like in any relationship (in this case is brand loyalty), I dare to say that ultimately the question is whether you are willing to accept the faults of the camera and work around them to get what you need or just hang around and switch over back and forth. Not pointing fingers at the

An interesting read.... that said. TS still has lots to learn.

For the wedding company that I am associated with, you must shoot about 2k images and all of your color tones have to be perfect. You have 24hrs from the time that the wedding ends to deliver images back to the corporate office where they will do all post-production. I shoot in compressed NEF on a D3 and I use custom WB. I agree with the TS that AWB will almost kill you all the time; except that the only exception is where the shots are done outdoors.

One of my CF slots on my D3 recently got fried and was willing to pay close to $800 to get the slot working again because I use both slots when I am shooting a wedding. Most likely, I have put about 60k actuations through it before it got busted.

Like in any relationship (in this case is brand loyalty), I dare to say that ultimately the question is whether you are willing to accept the faults of the camera and work around them to get what you need or just hang around and switch over back and forth. Not pointing fingers at the

There is a very fine line between a fault of a camera that can be worked around, and a fault of a camera that is manufacturing error or lack of ability by the service centre to fix.

Qns here is... what is your acceptability or what is our clients acceptability? What sharpness setting do you review your images on? What is your basis of good colour?

Screens are getting better and better nowsaday and the "You won't see the focus error on 4R, and your printer will tweak the colours" argument does not work anymore when my new consumer dell screen is 2500 pixels wide. Sooner or later our clients will be viewing the pictures on beyond HD screens.

With regards to how much we need to pay at NSC. So long as we give in to the ridiculous (imho) prices that NSC demands... they will continue to press us with expensive repair fees. I've heard enough of $600 shutter changes and $120 hotshoe changes with a turnover time that is enough for you to go on a long vacation.

NSC still insist that anything that falls into tolerances should not be tweaked. Honestly, canon suffered 3 years of AF problem complains and are finally learning... their newer batch lenses have tighter tolerances which are ready to work at at least 18 megapixels (consider the 1DX)... both in resolution and autofocus accuracy. Nikon just released the 3 golden 1.4 lenses and if you guys read for yourselves online... is plague with inconsistency problems, but fortunately AF-C for nikon remains superior.

Special thanks to Kentwong81 for introducing the PS Kiss cross-camera. After purchasing the D700 profiles and using the "1Ds III Standard" & "1Ds III Landscape" profiles... they surprisingly worked well and improved the look, saturation and the actual values of the skintone on my D700. When you thought I was kidding, the 20D portrait-mode simulating profiles actually do look like the bygone-days canon portrait mode reddish look!

So how is your finding after using the PS Kiss cross-camera filter, to make the output of your D700 look alike the picture taken by 1Ds Mark III ?
Althought it can change the colour for a picture, I don't think it will solve consistency issue of the AWB that you said before, unless you do adjustment for every photo.

Last edited:
With regards to the PS Kiss DNG profiles that simulate 1Ds3 look. It seems to compress the skintones region and make them more uniform and less affected by differences in white balance. This is very similar to behavior of 5d2 files in Lr3 using "camera standard" profile. I've onced read a description where an American user commented abt to skintones as "salmon like" for whites and it makes asians look more orangey and less yellow. Unlike using "adobe standard" for D700, using this new profiles allow me to get healthy skintones yet maintain the right values and not resulting in to much magenta (nikon problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.