Sad and disappointed (Previously a happy Nikon User)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is your finding after using the PS Kiss cross-camera filter, to make the output of your D700 look alike the picture taken by 1Ds Mark III ?
Althought it can change the colour for a picture, I don't think it will solve consistency issue of the AWB that you said before, unless you do adjustment for every photo.

Thanks to this thread, I got to know PSKiss Cross Camera. Got it and no regrets. But as you pointed out correctly, having 1Ds MkIII skintones setting is not a magical pill. Indoors with normal lighting, the 'yellowish' cast will still be there. You still need to manually choose WB in ACR.

There is a very fine line between a fault of a camera that can be worked around, and a fault of a camera that is manufacturing error or lack of ability by the service centre to fix.

In time, you will find things in the 1Dx that you will not like. The problem will come in how the camera was designed to begin with. There isn't such a thing as a camera without faults.

There is a very fine line between a fault of a camera that can be worked around, and a fault of a camera that is manufacturing error or lack of ability by the service centre to fix.

Qns here is... what is your acceptability or what is our clients acceptability? What sharpness setting do you review your images on? What is your basis of good colour?

The question is not what is your accepability or clients acceptability rather the question should be what is the industry's acceptability. The same goes with the acceptability of the industry's standard on color.

The rest you would have to figure it out for yourself as you most likely have your own strong personal views that nobody can change.

Thanks to this thread, I got to know PSKiss Cross Camera. Got it and no regrets. But as you pointed out correctly, having 1Ds MkIII skintones setting is not a magical pill. Indoors with normal lighting, the 'yellowish' cast will still be there. You still need to manually choose WB in ACR.

Yes, a good technique in correcting WB in images with bad WB will still help any image. I hope more are willing to try the PS Kiss Cross Camera. It's not just a preset that one can achieve in photoshop, but a DNG profile which tells LR/ACR how to interpret the colors from your files based on a custom matrix/look-up table.

i certainly prefer the the noise control ability of D700s over Canon 5DmkII. However for the JPEGs colour on 5D seems a tad better... sorry for the OT!

i certainly prefer the the noise control ability of D700s over Canon 5DmkII. However for the JPEGs colour on 5D seems a tad better... sorry for the OT!

main reason why D700's noise control is better than 5Dmkii is due to the fact that the canon's counterpart has too many megapixels cramped into the sensor.

maybe the next update of the 5D will see a huge improvement in the noise control aspect of the sensor, while retaining or even increasing the pixel count.

likewise for Nikon.

its an endless race.

Yes, a good technique in correcting WB in images with bad WB will still help any image. I hope more are willing to try the PS Kiss Cross Camera. It's not just a preset that one can achieve in photoshop, but a DNG profile which tells LR/ACR how to interpret the colors from your files based on a custom matrix/look-up table.

Because they are DNG profiles, you can make them invariate/untwist using dcpTool: http://dcptool.sourceforge.net/Hue%20Twists.html
So you get a couple more variations to experiment with.

Last edited:
surrephoto said:
Hi all. Would like to share some sentiments I've had from various experiences as a nikon user in the last 1 year. The disclaimer would be that I'm an ex-C camp user but do not bring in brand war conversations unless you really know what you're talking about.

Alot of things i'm going to share are not always scientific that's why I would like the opinions of fellow users. I'm a D700 user and have used 4 copies of D700s. Have owned a D3 as well.

1. Current Nikon AF system is "degrading" in relative quality due to the release of the new recent f1.4 lenses eg. 24G, 35G, 85G.

Previously I did not notice issues while I was using the 50 f1.4G. These lenses are all higher quality but all required micro-adjustment to achieve peak accuracy/precision. NSC told me this is the user's responsibility. Interestingly the MA value for multiple bodies are the same. This subject is more complicated than it looks because accuracy not equals precision and focus shift can affect the best MA value to get the best DOF balance for all AF distances. On average I spent 3 months on each lens to figure out that magical number. That is a heck load of time wasted. I can share some of my findings if any of you bros need help. Btw I spent a short time on a D3 and could not fix these issues. The D3S was much better (from LCD screen).

2. Maintenance pricing at NSC Singapore is simply too expensive. I don't expect angelic service and non-rhetorical warranty but estimations of $500-$600 for an average shutter change and $100+ dollars for a hot-shoe is infuriating.

3. I still do not like out of box nikon color even after shooting RAW and custom WB. First off I'm all for skintones. I've used everything from CaptureNX, Lightroom 3 (my main workhorse software) & I believe that simple PP can't solve this problem because C & N color/balance rendition is just different starting from the sensor & lens coating. JPEGs from the D700 are unusable to me. When I first migrated from 1DsII to D700 my workflow for colour became more complicated overnight, correct yet pleasing RGB/CMYK skintone is easy to achieve last time but for the nikons (D3/D700) it's abit of a chore. Btw, i'm not a photoshop expert so I might be all wrong.

4. AWB is awful or not to my taste. This applies especially for the D700 AWB (greenish cast in 60% of situations yet Magenta 1 shift destroys skintones) and sadly the D3S samples I saw were better but not by a huge margin. Could this just be a matter of taste or a real technical issue?

Needs comments from bros here as I love this system for the consistency but this has troubled in for a while!

Feel free to question my workflow and how I process my images/operate my camera etc. Whatever it takes to solve my Nikon woes... i'm out for it.

Switch to Leica M9 :)

balbon23 said:

Overpriced. Will consider only if Leica lowers its price to less than S$1500.

Technically an image may be perfect , follow all the rules of third and what not , focus spot on ,skin tones all correct , white balance zun zun , tack sharp , however without that involvement of "human touch" and that intangible "feeling" , it is still an image and not a photo

Because they are DNG profiles, you can make them invariate/untwist using dcpTool: Hue Twists
So you get a couple more variations to experiment with.

Been there done that. This helps mostly if you are dealing with very saturated yet bright near out of gamut highlight colours or if you often use the recovery sliders in ACR/Lightroom, it prevents skintones from going too much haywire. Imagine blotchy hotel light backgrounds, often helps when you use the untwisted profiles.

Overpriced. Will consider only if Leica lowers its price to less than S$1500.

Honestly I've played with M8/M9 DNG files in LR3. Well lets say the skintone rendition is... different from what I like. :)

Technically an image may be perfect , follow all the rules of third and what not , focus spot on ,skin tones all correct , white balance zun zun , tack sharp , however without that involvement of "human touch" and that intangible "feeling" , it is still an image and not a photo

Hahaha... what's the point of having "human touch" to your images when you can't even grasp the basic technicalities of photography? I personally I feel the "human touch" will happen when you engage your subjects in real-life... also, when we we edit our pictures thoughts, feelings and recollections affect how we correct a scene's colour/contrast/saturation etc and help us decide how to tone our black & white & sepia images. Do realize photography is half technique half art. We don't create photos from scratch (in most circumstances) but rely on a scene to capture.

Imho we should perfect our technique first than develop your style and vision. That intangible feeling that you speak of cannot be used as an excuse for crappy colors and out-of-focus images.

Switch to Ricoh GXR M-mount. ;-P

Hey it's cheap enough to play with! Don't mind if I got extra cash.

Last edited:
1) Does that mean the hobbyist who just want to take a picture of his newborn should go attend a course on baby photography , purchase top end gear , learn how to edit a photo properly before they can even think of shooting his newborn ?

2) Theory and Technique is important , expressing and applying them is also quite important I feel .
He can learn the correct technique to "bend it like Beckham" , however instead of having a kick about with his friends, he is trying to learn how to "dip it like Ronaldo" ,he is not going to enjoy the joy of scoring a goal .

3) "crappy colors and out-of-focus images" is about the individual's preference ( of course , pictures from the back row at a concert using your iphone is generally considered out-of-focus images , however the colors may turn out nice enough to be mistaken for a photo of an aurora ) , however I would prefer ANY photo of my great grandpa( who I never see before ) over a perfectly executed photo of a 10cents macro .

Smell the roses

Hahaha... what's the point of having "human touch" to your images when you can't even grasp the basic technicalities of photography? I personally I feel the "human touch" will happen when you engage your subjects in real-life... also, when we we edit our pictures thoughts, feelings and recollections affect how we correct a scene's colour/contrast/saturation etc and help us decide how to tone our black & white & sepia images. Do realize photography is half technique half art. We don't create photos from scratch (in most circumstances) but rely on a scene to capture.

Imho we should perfect our technique first than develop your style and vision. That intangible feeling that you speak of cannot be used as an excuse for crappy colors and out-of-focus images.

Getting the basics down is one thing. "Perfecting" technique is another thing all together. I rather improve "my eye", and the "human touch" first, above all else, after I have a basic level of proficiency. I will continue to develop my technique and "my eye" non stop. Because there is no perfect technique. But that is me. Because to me, that is what photography is about. And I am not all that crazy about technically perfect but soulless pictures.

Hey it's cheap enough to play with! Don't mind if I got extra cash.

Yes it is. And many people are saying that it produces better images than the M8...

Last edited:
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions, critic and comments given in this thread.

I think I will be closing this thread as a number of issues have been discussed many times thoroughly and although not fully address, I myself have and I hope many others have learnt alot more about the nikon system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.