Relax Shoot! - CBD Skyline Shoot Redux - 09/01/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan1987

Oct 14, 2009
Singapore
In reflect to http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632119

Had a great morning today... here are some of my takes (still quite a newbie, C&C are welcome)

4258986840_ec64acf18d.jpg

4258228827_c383ab3ce8.jpg

4258987008_6e5c588188.jpg

here are the participants
4258229053_55e99f0cec.jpg

4258229225_3f7880e81d.jpg

thanks yslee

Last edited:
by the way just wanna ask,
i shoot using long exposure of 30secs for #1 but the sea surface still not quite smooth to show the reflections. anyone can give me some guide?

use a longer exposure in bulb mode

use a longer exposure in bulb mode

oh... but how long do i gauge for how long to expose? trial and error? because for the normal manual mode it will show the exposure scale...:think:

Heya,

Enjoyed the gathering today. learnt alot for you guys in the short chit chatting session during breakfast!

Thanks YSLee for organizing!

Here goes my newbie takes..

4258803270_cfa2151f43_o.jpg

4258819836_4a72de5fb5_o.jpg

4258074223_47f585cebd_o.jpg

4258074225_6bb8335f7f_o.jpg

4258097627_f84a968b7d_o.jpg

Comments much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
4258449697_5e82f68784.jpg

WTB a UWA lens! Had a hard time getting what I wanted in frame :( C&C welcomed! Upload more in a few moments...

Last edited:
Heya,

Enjoyed the gathering today. learnt alot for you guys in the short chit chatting session during breakfast!

4258097627_f84a968b7d_o.jpg

I like #5... i look through my pics but cant seem to have a pic with this lighting. i need more practice...

4258449697_d62b067e27.jpg

WTB a WA lens! Had a hard time getting what I wanted in frame :( C&C welcomed! Upload more in a few moments...

i agree with UWA lenses... we cant fit in the two buildings on the left. shall go canon vivo or rent a 10-22 to play with one day... :D

Last edited:
:) nice meeting you guys today... I have to leave early as I need to work at 9am. Sorry for not staying back for breakfast.

I have only 2 photos to share... today's sunrise was rather dull and uninteresting. Didn't shoot much this morning.

000058-Y10.jpg

000062-Y10.jpg

WTB a WA lens! Had a hard time getting what I wanted in frame :( C&C welcomed! Upload more in a few moments...

;p we should have a introduction session before the shoot... I have my 10-22 on my backup body and I don't use it much :sweat:

Heya,

4258819836_4a72de5fb5_o.jpg

I like this for the colour.

by the way just wanna ask,
i shoot using long exposure of 30secs for #1 but the sea surface still not quite smooth to show the reflections. anyone can give me some guide?

stop down, or use nd filters.

this means that the sea surface is very rough or erratic.

if the sea surface is too rough, you will not even have any reflections. how to have? you will just have very murky, misty waters in the end.

example:

medium.jpg

you can shoot this for 2 hours, if the conditions stay the same, you will still not have any reflection.

Last edited:
i agree with UWA lenses... we cant fit in the two buildings on the left. shall go canon vivo or rent a 10-22 to play with one day... :D

no need.

just do vertical shots with 18mm also can, stitch into panorama:

medium.jpg

there are always solutions if you have a limited budget.

oh... but how long do i gauge for how long to expose? trial and error? because for the normal manual mode it will show the exposure scale...:think:

beyond 30 seconds, for every stop you need, you will double the exposure.

for example, if the image is correctly exposed to your tastes at f/8, 30 seconds, iso100

then if you stop down 1 stop more to f/11, keeping iso constant, you will need 1 minute for equivalent exposure.

going further down the line, if you stop down 2 stops to f/16, at iso100 still, you will need 30 seconds x 2 x 2 = 2 minutes. bring a stopwatch and a cable remote. or you can used a timer remote. :)

hey guys, i enjoyed the outing very much. love your companies. you were all very friendly folks.

i am sorry i have similar pics, but no choice, since we were all at the same spot more or less. all T & C welcome. i am still experimenting and learning...

No. 1
Maybank-UPLD.jpg

No. 2
NewDowntown2-UPLD.jpg

No. 3
NewDowntown-UPLD.jpg

No. 4
RepublicPlaza-HDR-UPLD.jpg

No. 5
CavenaghBridge-HDR-UPLD.jpg

Last edited:
Heya guys. Haven't had time to process my photos yet... managed to get the "video" up though.

Not sure if can be viewed.. first time I trying to link to FB.

Sunrise @ Esplanade

Hope to learn a lot more about sunrise through a lot of the same shots. I think I did! Basically nothing more than shoot a lot, then study what went right.

How I did this? Basically I set the white balance to a particular setting and started with a good focus (manually adjusted), fixed the aperture (used 7.1 today), and then shot multiple shots based on shutter speeds, each set within the minute. Thus every minute, I will shoot another set of 3 (initial) to 5 (later) shots of different shutter speeds between the times of 6.39am and 7.53am.

Almost every two minutes intervals, I have to speeden up the shutter speed. On hindsight, I should have done three mins (to make the sky brighter all the time).

The second part of the video which "whites out" is shot at 5sec shutter speed until the sun was too bright.

Come home, and selected which pix would make a smooth transition, using Picasa create video. These were shot with Panasonic G1 on 7-14mm lens @ f7.1 aperture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.