recommend a DSLR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, after some research, i'm deciding between the FM-5D and D50. ok, they're the cheapest, and i have no need for 8MP.

the cheapest D50 body i can find so far is S$910, it's mail order in US. i'm visiting in feb, so i can pick it up there.

the cheapest KM-5D body is about S$860. same US mail order method.

are these good prices? dpreview says that D50's kit lens isn't very gd, n recommends buying separately. is this the same for the 5D? it's not reviewed on dpreview yet, n i don't trust other sites as much.

thanks!

shuy said:
ok, after some research, i'm deciding between the FM-5D and D50. ok, they're the cheapest, and i have no need for 8MP.

the cheapest D50 body i can find so far is S$910, it's mail order in US. i'm visiting in feb, so i can pick it up there.

are these good prices? dpreview says that D50's kit lens isn't very gd, n recommends buying separately. is this the same for the 5D? it's not reviewed on dpreview yet, n i don't trust other sites as much.

thanks!

The answers are here:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1699081&postcount=11
:D

shuy said:

The price is very cheap!

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
yes it is. $1220 by The Oracle. :) and the KM5D kit lens is :thumbsup:

And that is including the kit lens (18-70mm) and 1G card. No need to pick up from the US (unless you want Maxxum label) and start shooting now. :D

Just a question.. What are the differences btw KM 5 D and D70 other den prices? quality? colours? any other infos?

latinfrog said:
Just a question.. What are the differences btw KM 5 D and D70 other den prices? quality? colours? any other infos?
the km 5d is slower in response and auto-focus compare to the D70
however it cost $500 hundred less and the kit lens supplied already cover from wide to mid zoom 18-70mm...if doubt it pics quality. see below
pics taken with km5d with sigma 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5
73689850_aca99b7c0f_o.jpg

73689851_a83ec5425a_o.jpg

73689852_453929719e_o.jpg

73689853_37544b6a6a_o.jpg

73689252_28202a218e_o.jpg

Wow....looks like very clear and crisp pics taken from the KM5D....what would be the other differences between the D50 and the KM5D....other than the kit lens of the KM5D has an extra 55 to 70 mm? The price seems about the same and the image quality from both seems good. Very hard to choose between the two.

KM5D got one major advantage, camera in-build AS (anti-shake), which will almost apply on all lens that mount on it, so you don't need to pay more for expensive lens with IS or VR, and safe a bit on lens size and weight.

AS is less effective thn IS and VR, it also induces more blur as i read in reviews. with KM ur best bet will be sigma lenses unlike nikon or canon which offer better oem lenses.

shuy said:
yeah ive been reading abt dslrs for some time now. i know the pros n cons. i'll be paying for the versatility and improved image sensor, which i couldn't have with a digicam. doesn't any1 else have a problem wif ridiculous noise at low light levels???

i'ved used a prosumer for a few years, so i know something about cams. the main thing putting me off now is the price. with the mem cards, lens, filters, tripod, etc i know it'll cost a bomb.

my cam (epson 3100z) is out of production, and epson can't repair it even for a fee. any 3rd party repair shops u know? i've been told it's more worth it just to buy a new cam.

i'm using CF now, but it's a measly 128mb one haha, that's like what 10 shots?

oh, n thanks for the info on US prices!

i'm strangely attracted to nikon, must be the cool d70 ads i saw last time. hmm....
since u hv CF card and u r interested in the D70, u might as well buy it... i guess u should be looking at the D70s instead... although 128mb is relatively small, u shd be able to take approx 85 shots in jpeg normal large format...

roti_prata said:
AS is less effective thn IS and VR, it also induces more blur as i read in reviews. with KM ur best bet will be sigma lenses unlike nikon or canon which offer better oem lenses.

Could you please elaborate more on how IS induces more blurness please? I only heard of it's recommended to turn off the AS if the camera is on a stable tripod.

KM got some better quality high end range lenses than Sigma lens, what do you mean KM best bet is Sigma lens? (Although some are high end lens are hard to get) Please advice.

What make you think that KM normal range lenses is inferior to Nikon or Canon lens? Any backup support for it? I am really interested to know.

Would be very happy if you can provide all the info. Many thanks.

zcf said:
KM5D got one major advantage, camera in-build AS (anti-shake), which will almost apply on all lens that mount on it, so you don't need to pay more for expensive lens with IS or VR, and safe a bit on lens size and weight.

Opps almost forgot about that AS.......but how effective actually is AS...is there like some way to measure the amount of shaking that it can prevent? I tend to shoot more outdoors and landscapes and at F8 (maybe F11 when I get my DSLR)...really wonder if the AS is gonna be of much use here......might be though if the sun isn't strong and the place isnt well lit enough...

boroangel said:
Wow....looks like very clear and crisp pics taken from the KM5D....what would be the other differences between the D50 and the KM5D....other than the kit lens of the KM5D has an extra 55 to 70 mm? The price seems about the same and the image quality from both seems good. Very hard to choose between the two.
Easy....nikon got too many good bodies to drool on...from the moment u got got the d50...u might want to get the 18-70mm kit lens and sell the original 18-55mm...once u get it...out come the d200...again u be tempted to upgrade.......who knows...after a certain period of time u might even think of getting the D2x/h........
whereas minolta got only two choices....km5d and the km7d....with limited bodies and choices of lenses... u'll be concentrating more on learning photography and taking good photos
worst to worst case....just switched system lo if i tired of it..:devil:

eow said:
Easy....nikon got too many good bodies to drool on...from the moment u got got the d50...u might want to get the 18-70mm kit lens and sell the original 18-55mm...once u get it...out come the d200...again u be tempted to upgrade.......who knows...after a cetain period of time u might even think of getting the D2x/h........
whereas minolta got only two choices....km5d and the km7d....with limited bodies and choices of lenses... u be concentrate more learning photography and taking good photos
gd point:bsmilie:

eow said:
Easy....nikon got too many good bodies to drool on...from the moment u got got the d50...u might want to get the 18-70mm kit lens and sell the original 18-55mm...once u get it...out come the d200...again u be tempted to upgrade.......who knows...after a cetain period of time u might even think of getting the D2x/h........
whereas minolta got only two choices....km5d and the km7d....with limited bodies and choices of lenses... u be concentrate more learning photography and taking good photos

Bro, not to forget 7D version 2 should come out next year, but we all will have to resist the Buy! Buy! Buy! temptation. But the pricing probably make it out of my reach.
boroangel said:
Opps almost forgot about that AS.......but how effective actually is AS...is there like some way to measure the amount of shaking that it can prevent? I tend to shoot more outdoors and landscapes and at F8 (maybe F11 when I get my DSLR)...really wonder if the AS is gonna be of much use here......might be though if the sun isn't strong and the place isnt well lit enough...
AS is effective in reduce shake, but as many claim it may not be as efficient as in lens stabilization like VR or IS, but I never try those, so I can't tell.
If you shoot out door at bright day light, most likely you won't need any AS, IS or VR, but if you put on circular polarizer or ND filter for more effects, or it's not a bright day, AS like IS or VR will help to reduce chance of shaky image.
It help a great deal if you like to take in door or night photo, especially for someone like me who are lazy to carry a bulky and heavy tripod.

boroangel said:

To show you how effective the AS is, this picture was taken handheld at 1/10 of a second using kit lens. No post processing was done except resizing.

_ICT0390a.jpg

synthesis said:
To show you how effective the AS is, this picture was taken handheld at 1/10 of a second using kit lens. No post processing was done except resizing.

_ICT0390a.jpg

nice lambo ass!!! :bsmilie:

wow really useful discussion going. keep it up! :)

KM's price really attracts me, but the point abt the limited lens range is slightly worrying. in the long run i guess having a nikon is safer over the long term. i'm guessing there's a bigger 2nd-hand market for nikons as well, which is another plus. with technology advancing at this rate, a new body is never far away! pending wallet size of cos.

AS sounds nice, but is it usually used alot? u can just bump up the ISO. it'll increase the noise levels, but it's still usable at most levels. plus, if AS isn't that effective, blurring may occur, and to me blurring is worse than noise.

synthesis, could u post the original lambo pic so i can see the quality, if it's not too much trouble? besides oogling at the hot ass, i can see more clearly how effective AS is. :)

ironman, y would u recommend the d70 over the d50? it's got a few more features like mirror lock-up, but d50 is totally reworked from the d70, n produces comparable quality pics, some say even better. is there a feature i'll sorely miss?

shuy said:
synthesis, could u post the original lambo pic so i can see the quality, if it's not too much trouble? besides oogling at the hot ass, i can see more clearly how effective AS is. :)

Shuy,
You can treat the above picture as original picture as I didn't do any post processing except simple resizing. The original file is more than 1MB so I don't want want to clog the page. The ISO was already bumped up to 400 but still need 1/10s.

While it's true that KM has more limited 'exotic lens' compared to N or C, the available lenses are enough to cover most of people's needs. And with the given good quality and usable range of the kit lens, it not likely somebody will want to upgrade so soon unless somebody blames it on the equipment rather than technique, or simply just itchy to upgrade ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.