Rebel - DOF Preview Button ?

liauwsiauwlong

Nov 2, 2009
Singapore
Hi Rebel Users ,

I'm still new for using my Rebel 500D body , i found this DOF Preview Button .

But i still don't know how to use the one , may i know what this button for ? Is it used during the live view mode ? Do you used it frequently ? :dunno:

When you look through the viewfinder
You are looking through the lens wide open (it is only stopped down when the picture is taken).
DoF preview button stops the lens down to the aperture you have set,
So you can see a preview of how much is actually going to be in focus.

I wish I could just disable the DOF preview button. The only thing the button does is preventing me from taking pictures when it's accidentally pressed (sometimes by the strap). With a fast prime, the DOF preview is outright incorrect with the stock screen, and you never know it's depressed unless the aperture value is set to larger than 2.8.

if you have a fast prime lens try this out

with the lens attached
look at the lens from the front, with a aperture of F8.0, and press the DOF-preview button
next, set your aperture to the largest for your lens
and do the same

(i did this with my 50mm cheap prime)
you'll see the aperture blades!! and that's when you know why it was a DOF preview
like what people have said here
the image through the viewfinder before shutter release shows the biggest aperture by the lens

Thanks guys , for the clue . Quite understand right now , and will try it ;)

If you use 50mm lens as a reversed macro, you can use DoF button.

Set the aperture that you need (i.e. f/11), press DoF button and at the same time remove the lens from body.

now your lens is set at f/11...

CMIIW.

If you use 50mm lens as a reversed macro, you can use DoF button.

Set the aperture that you need (i.e. f/11), press DoF button and at the same time remove the lens from body.

now your lens is set at f/11...

CMIIW.

WOW!!!!! I've never tried this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll go try now! THANKS!

Hi Rebel Users ,

I'm still new for using my Rebel 500D body , i found this DOF Preview Button .

But i still don't know how to use the one , may i know what this button for ? Is it used during the live view mode ? Do you used it frequently ? :dunno:

It is the button to TURN ON your FLASHLIGHT
when you need the lights to search on something in the dark :bsmilie:

ORACLEXenon35x14FlashlightSearch-1.jpg

It's Canon usefull features for people who often drop items in the dark, very usefull features :bsmilie:

Last edited: