Q: about silica gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the climate statistics for that location. Afghanistan is a bit bigger than SG, please specify further. But still, better get good camera bag, don't waste time with silica gel or other stuffs.

hmmm... thnx for your advise.

Here are some material. If need to use silica gel, try to find the orange-green type.
http://www.geejaychemicals.co.uk/cobaltchloride.htm
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Use-of-Cobalt-Chloride-in-Silica-Gel

Isisaxon is absolutely right, when you get indicating Silica Gel, look for the orange beads, they will turn green as they saturate. The blue indicating Silica Gel that turns pink as it saturates is carcinogenic. The orange to green indicating Silica Gel is safe. I use it for my cameras and a bunch of other uses around the house. www.silicagelpackets.com is a good site to get Silica Gel from, they are one of the few that carries the orange to green indicating Silica Gel.

Does that mean if I shoot everyday, I don't need to get a dry cabinet or dry box? :bsmilie:

Yes, to a certain extend. Sunlight and fresh air prevent fungus growing. Long-term storing in humid darkness with stagnant air invites fungus.

I am using the silicagel too in a dry box. but i do not have a hygrometer. will those tat are sold in ntuc for Homefix shop suitable to use? it's called a digital hygro thermometer. it's a 2 in 1, temperature n humidity reading.

I may sound off track but since this thread is about using silica gel.. i tot i can ask about the hygrometer as well...

I am using the silicagel too in a dry box. but i do not have a hygrometer. will those tat are sold in ntuc for Homefix shop suitable to use? it's called a digital hygro thermometer. it's a 2 in 1, temperature n humidity reading.

I may sound off track but since this thread is about using silica gel.. i tot i can ask about the hygrometer as well...

I saw those too, the cheapest one goes for around $30.

That's quite a sum, IMO, considering a 30L dry cabinet could go for around $110?

I saw those too, the cheapest one goes for around $30.

That's quite a sum, IMO, considering a 30L dry cabinet could go for around $110?

so is tat suitable to use in dry box with silica gel to get reading and know how dry it is in the dry box?

so is tat suitable to use in dry box with silica gel to get reading and know how dry it is in the dry box?

Yep, it can do the job.
Temperature is just an additional information. Since it's measuring relative humidity (RH) the temperature must be given, otherwise the RH value itself is useless (according Physics). Practically no issue.

Last edited:
Isisaxon is absolutely right, when you get indicating Silica Gel, look for the orange beads, they will turn green as they saturate. The blue indicating Silica Gel that turns pink as it saturates is carcinogenic. The orange to green indicating Silica Gel is safe. I use it for my cameras and a bunch of other uses around the house. www.silicagelpackets.com is a good site to get Silica Gel from, they are one of the few that carries the orange to green indicating Silica Gel.

I have went to the site u provided.
Saw that the orange silica is in bulk of 4.5 pounds. looks quite big. Any other from the site that fellow members here uses??

I am using the blue silica gel. but if you guys here say the orange one is safer.. then i m considering to change.

I am looking around for orange silica gels too but cant seems to find them. Can we get them anywhere in singapore? Dun really want to go through the hassle of online purchase and shipment.

Saw that the orange silica is in bulk of 4.5 pounds. looks quite big. Any other from the site that fellow members here uses??

I am using the blue silica gel. but if you guys here say the orange one is safer.. then i m considering to change.

4.5 pounds is about 2 kg... that is really a lot right?

OK, the ziplock reading came out to 30-33% RH (with temperature difference) got 2 hygrometer to take reading.

- Will try 2 sachets of Fairprice Jumbo dehumidifer.

- Next will try silica gel only.

You certainly did a good comparison. Thanks

OK, I am now trying this and see the result too. Then I can figure out adjustment in my tupperware. :)

- 2 layers of Raynolds ziplock (non deflate, leave air inside).
- 1 sachet Fairprice Jumbo dehumidifier.
- 1x videocam pouch and videocam that has been in open for 1 week (forgotten to keep).
- 1 hygrometer inside, wire probe located to the pouch and vcam end.

ok la
i use my camera daily
so silica gel in airtight box
i travel overseas
so buying a dry cabi seems like a bad investment

If can find enough people, then can buy bulk and then split the cost and shipping. The organizer can also 'earn' a bit from it to cover his effort. So for those who really wants can start an MO for this. ;p

Here is more observations.

2 new (diff model) of digital hygrometers have the same highest and room reading value but yet different dry reading. E.g In plain silica gel (one goes to lowest limit of 10% while another stuck at 20% when both specs say 10-99%).

- Silica gel has the best absorption power (abt 50gm) can drive the ziplocked item to 16% overnight. In the empty bottle test (with just plain ha ha breath), it will reach minimal (I suppose to near zero bec meter has limit) within an 1/2hr (thirsty hippo sachet take about 1hr). So if you like your things to be good dry, silica gel is the one.

- In the brand test of Thirsty Hippo vs Fair Price Jumbo (and whether more sachets drive humdity lower) will have to wait longer. Why bec once the pouch is dried up, even full half day in the open doesn't damp it well.

* Of course all these are not related to your equipment drying as you don't need that low RH.

OK, the ziplock reading came out to 30-33% RH (with temperature difference) got 2 hygrometer to take reading.

- Will try 2 sachets of Fairprice Jumbo dehumidifer.

- Next will try silica gel only.

hello, i'm new here (& a new DSLR user, i bought my eos500d @ the recent comex)

& i was browsing around the threads, and discovered that i need to keep my camera in low moisture or something so that fungus won't grow on it >_<

i'm quite broke, so i was wondering- can i just use those Silica Gel packets that go (Do Not Eat Dessicated blahblah) that come in shoe boxes, food and all that other stuff, and put them in my camera bag? Will it work?

:D would appreciate helpful replies!!

Hi Nutty, congrats on your first step towards an eternal pursuit of perfection of skills and equipment (for some)! :cool:

With all the hassle of checking the thirsty hippos, gel packs and dry boxes, save yourself the trouble and get a dry cabinet. A good dry cabinet will last you for DECADES. As the ideal setting is between 45-55% RH for electronic equipment, the dry cabinet is a set-and-forget item. As you take stuff out to use, you can always peek at the reading and check to ensure it is between 45-55%. If it's too low, you may risk drying up the lubricants in the equipment. I think it may be too much of a hassle for you if you use other means.

Besides, you can also store your video cam (if any) and other expensive electronic equipment.

Hope this helps. ;)

i don't think hungry hippo is corrosive.

i've used it for 2 years before i got a dry cabinet, my gear's still fine.

i was using for 1 year and until now. still fine....hopefully...>.<

2009-10-02_00001.jpg

Errrrr, are you trying to dry the equipment or your room. Buy a room dehumdifier will do a better job. You can use the collected water for plants :)

i was using for 1 year and until now. still fine....hopefully...>.<

2009-10-02_00001.jpg

Last edited:
Before I begin, let me quote from a fellow forummer, "a photo a day keeps the fungus away". :bsmilie:

I was just thinking, instead of getting a dry box like this one, might as well just ziploc and throw in silica gel.

Fungus grows in dark, damp and warm conditions. The dry box does not allow any (sun)light in, unlike a dry cabinet which has a glass door.

Hygrometers are not always accurate, at least with the dry cabinet, there is light entering, but not with a dry box.

I've looked at some of my cabinet doors and walls, there are yellow/brown spots and patches on them. I'm not sure if its fungus / mould / whatever, but obviously they aren't something pleasant. :nono:

Interestingly, the cabinet that is not opened regularly (hence bad air flow) but has a glass 'window' to allow light in did not show signs of the yellow spots, and the ones which are opened regularly but did not allow light to pass when closed had only very little of the spots.

As you'd expect, those that are not opened regularly and had no sunlight were the ones badly infected by the yellow spots.

If those spots are fungus, then I guess sunlight is a big factor in preventing fungus growth - at least on my cabinet. :think:

Just sharing my experience.

do we have to put e gels in ziploc bags??
I poured 1 whole can of gels direct into a lock n lock box, then a piece of plastic divider with lines/ lobangs, then A4 plain paper, then my cam. lasted for 3 mths before i c some gels turned pink, mostly still slight bluish.
is 1 whole can of gel too much??
If put gels air tight in ziploc bag going to work e same manner as in direct pour into box??

Status
Not open for further replies.