Problem looking for job

Are you sending out a generic resume? Are you tailoring your resume for each company and position you are applying for?

Yes, I have 2 generic resume.

Frm your nic I assume when you put 1968 means that you are likely to be 42yo. This is mid life age when you are kinda neither here nor there in career unless you have own biz. If seeking a junior post, Employers may view you as too "senior" and may not want to pay you the kind of $ you ask or they are uncomfortable to pay you with. In other word you are "overqualified but not worth the pay". If seeking a more senior post they go for your 'quality' experiences and what you can bring in for the company. FOr every $ they pay you they expect 10Xs or 20Xs back so can you do that for them?:dunno:

The other thing about Resume, it is Marketing for YOU so imagine if you put it up as an avert in the newspaper or TV, will anyone including yourself be interested to read/watch it?:bigeyes: Will you be drawn to make the call NOW?:devil:

Yes, you are right and that is the big problem that i am facing now.

Is 40 something a deadend for corporate careers...I am reaching there soon. Kind of getting worried. I have seen high flyers this age being replaced. I have seen junior workers this age being marginalized. Then what are all the 40 something doing to be redundant proof?

In the past when friend tell me this, I do not believe them. Now I am facing this problem..

My dad's co does machinery. I am doing design.

If you are thinking for going in design. My advice to you is this. Earn as much as you can. When you are old like me. Free nobody also do not want you.

there is too little info and details in your opening remarks for anyone to give you any meaningful advise

Hi here.

I am not very good in writing. Maybe you can ask me then I reply you.

Thnak

Its the age factor, ts has mentioned bout the disadvantage of hitting the big 40 or close to getting there. Me, being in similar age range, i do emphatise with ts in some way, most employers do avoid hiring folks if they arent in the range of 18s - late twenties.

It's frustrating when countless applications and resumes sent, out, all you get is silence. No replies. At best one or two will inform you of non-selection. It's painful. And if you got a family, it becomes a dilema.

Would you settle for a lesser paid job or do something you have no interest in to support the family (but you would be unhappy in the long run), or keep trying to secure the job that you really want, but the time taken is uncertain...and when you are coming to 40...time is definitely not on your side, hardly any employer would take a sniff at your resume after seeing the age.

Ts, is the above more or less represent what you fear of now? Correct me if im wrong. :sweat:

Yes, I do agree with you.

Presently working in the airport but I do not find any career in this line.

I go to work because I need the money.

Thank you all who take the time to write to me.

I am presently looking for a sale job. I talk a lot so my friend say I maybe good in this line.

Camera or watch saleman, property, cook, travel industry.

Presently working in the airport but i do not like it just work for the sake for working and money.

Doing some freelance wedding photographer. Selling use film camera and camera bag (not bad for me)

Last edited:
why don't change another country with different working culture? I work in Japan, China and Singapore, I a looking out for another country more suitable for my old age. Singapore seem like not for after 40s, I'm 30+ now, planning for my 40s

I have seem quite a number of people who joined the sales line and actually get promoted or good pay while trading some "life". I got a friend working in starhub as a seller, he quit the IT line when he was around 35 and now he is 37 and he is earning around 4 - 5k (with commision). He starts at 1.6k (with commision) and learn the jack of trade fast. For your info, he work like the whole month with 12hours each day and only took maximum of 3 days leave per month.

I am not suggesting anything to you as I only got 23year on earth which is shorter than you. But I do hope every bit of suggestion or information can help you along the way.

What I mean is the pay $3k per month.

Yes, I have reviewed them a few time.

I'm 36.... been working since I'm 18 (reg in Navy).... never had a job that pay $3K.... not even now, after 12yrs of working for my current company (my pay barely past $2K monthly).... therefore, the word 'Decent' is kind of subjective.... :think:

Thank you all who take the time to write to me.

I am presently looking for a sale job. I talk a lot so my friend say I maybe good in this line.

Camera or watch saleman, property, cook, travel industry.

Presently working in the airport but i do not like it just work for the sake for working and money.

Doing some freelance wedding photographer. Selling use film camera and camera bag (not bad for me)

i also talk a lot, frens tell me i can do well in sales but in the end when i tried, i failed badly

Are you sending out a generic resume? Are you tailoring your resume for each company and position you are applying for?
Yes, I have 2 generic resume.
I think 2evans' point is that you should not use generic resumes, but should use resumes that are specially adapted for each job application...

first thing in a sales job is to sell your abilities to the potential employer... if you can't do that, how do you expect your employer to trust you to sell the products to the customers?... I know some sales people, doesn't matter what they have to sell, they just need a little product knowledge and they can do well... and for some of these sales jobs, the basic pay might not be a lot and they make most of their money through sales commissions...

not trying to put you down or anything with what I have mentioned above, just some things to think about that might be useful... and don't let age stop you... youth is not necessarily an advantage in sales unlike some other jobs... for some sales positions, looking mature is useful as what you say can sound more convincing... use it as your advantage...

If not for the fact that I have specific skills, I would consider one of the best but overlooked jobs in S'pore - bus driver.

It's ideal for people in mid-career (over 40, more patience). You get to meet lots of people daily, have a chance to be out there and see life on the streets. You drive a specific route in air-con comfort. I know a bus driver who sent 2 of his kids to the US for studies. It's basically iron rice-bowl.

SBS is so short-handed they have resorted to hiring mainlanders. As a S'porean, u have an advantage over them, u can speak a few languages and know the heartland better.

If not for the fact that I have specific skills, I would consider one of the best but overlooked jobs in S'pore - bus driver.

It's ideal for people in mid-career (over 40, more patience). You get to meet lots of people daily, have a chance to be out there and see life on the streets. You drive a specific route in air-con comfort. I know a bus driver who sent 2 of his kids to the US for studies. It's basically iron rice-bowl.

SBS is so short-handed they have resorted to hiring mainlanders. As a S'porean, u have an advantage over them, u can speak a few languages and know the heartland better.

I think those days of iron rice bowl are gone. Even SBS are looking at foreigners. I have a friend who has been an SBS driver for the past 30 years. The last few years has been very uncertain for him as he claims there is a huge influx of foreigners at cheaper wages. He just "loon" since his children are all grown up. But if you are to go into this now, I cannot imagine.

I think with globalisation, gone are the days with big salaries. If you are not willing, someone somewhere will take your job for less pay.

Last edited:
I think with globalisation, gone are the days with big salaries. If you are not willing, someone somewhere will take your job for less pay.

At least, I can see western countries are doing more to protect their local in the job market.