Problem looking for job

SMRT is expanding, with more lines and trains to come. Maybe there are some jobs to be created there.

At least, I can see western countries are doing more to protect their local in the job market.

I think they are also facing the same problem, just with a different set of immigrants. Bear in mind that EU is one big union. I don't think the government of the richer countries can stop those from the poorer member states from coming to work. I know the new UK coalition government will be limiting new immigrants to 24,100 per year. This does not include EU workers. There is a lot of debate on the pros and cons of such a move.

Last edited:
I think they are also facing the same problem, just with a different set of immigrants. Bear in mind that EU is one big union. I don't think the government of the richer countries can stop those from the poorer member states from coming to work. I know the new UK coalition government will be limiting new immigrants to 24,100 per year. This does not include EU workers. There is a lot of debate on the pros and cons of such a move.

How about the world biggest economy? ;)

That I am not sure. But I would assume also have Mexican, Central and Latin American moving that way...there are also a lot of Asians in US. Even a lot of expatriates are moving to the current 2nd largest economy - China. Where there are honey, there will always be bees. I guess the exception may be the 3rd largest economy - Japan, I think it is still very much Japanese dominated.

Last edited:
My 5 co-workers just quited last month.. The economy is picking up too. I really feel like leaving. I'm pretty tired of spoon feeding the people there.. :(

When you start working in a camera shop please let us know the name of the camera shop.

We'll come and ask for discounts. :bsmilie:

unless I am the boss... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

why don't change another country with different working culture? I work in Japan, China and Singapore, I a looking out for another country more suitable for my old age. Singapore seem like not for after 40s, I'm 30+ now, planning for my 40s

I have a job offer in Vietnam but turn it down. I just cannot leave my family behind.

I have seem quite a number of people who joined the sales line and actually get promoted or good pay while trading some "life". I got a friend working in starhub as a seller, he quit the IT line when he was around 35 and now he is 37 and he is earning around 4 - 5k (with commision). He starts at 1.6k (with commision) and learn the jack of trade fast. For your info, he work like the whole month with 12hours each day and only took maximum of 3 days leave per month.

I am not suggesting anything to you as I only got 23year on earth which is shorter than you. But I do hope every bit of suggestion or information can help you along the way.

thank you

I'm 36.... been working since I'm 18 (reg in Navy).... never had a job that pay $3K.... not even now, after 12yrs of working for my current company (my pay barely past $2K monthly).... therefore, the word 'Decent' is kind of subjective.... :think:

I was in the Navy also. 195 FCU sqn now 196 take over if I am not wrong.

I think 2evans' point is that you should not use generic resumes, but should use resumes that are specially adapted for each job application...

first thing in a sales job is to sell your abilities to the potential employer... if you can't do that, how do you expect your employer to trust you to sell the products to the customers?... I know some sales people, doesn't matter what they have to sell, they just need a little product knowledge and they can do well... and for some of these sales jobs, the basic pay might not be a lot and they make most of their money through sales commissions...

not trying to put you down or anything with what I have mentioned above, just some things to think about that might be useful... and don't let age stop you... youth is not necessarily an advantage in sales unlike some other jobs... for some sales positions, looking mature is useful as what you say can sound more convincing... use it as your advantage...

Thank, I will keep that in mind..

If not for the fact that I have specific skills, I would consider one of the best but overlooked jobs in S'pore - bus driver.

It's ideal for people in mid-career (over 40, more patience). You get to meet lots of people daily, have a chance to be out there and see life on the streets. You drive a specific route in air-con comfort. I know a bus driver who sent 2 of his kids to the US for studies. It's basically iron rice-bowl.

SBS is so short-handed they have resorted to hiring mainlanders. As a S'porean, u have an advantage over them, u can speak a few languages and know the heartland better.

Thank bro.

I think those days of iron rice bowl are gone. Even SBS are looking at foreigners. I have a friend who has been an SBS driver for the past 30 years. The last few years has been very uncertain for him as he claims there is a huge influx of foreigners at cheaper wages. He just "loon" since his children are all grown up. But if you are to go into this now, I cannot imagine.

I think with globalisation, gone are the days with big salaries. If you are not willing, someone somewhere will take your job for less pay.

Yes you are right.

Not only are the foreigners even the local are fight for survive now. I am the living legend.

At least, I can see western countries are doing more to protect their local in the job market.

I hope the Gov can doing something about it.

Anybody has a problem looking for a decent job.

For the last 16 month. I have send out hundred for resume but nobody call me back.

one last and most important question from me. what have you been doing for the pass 16 months? sitting at home waiting for reply or did you take up any course/self improvement skill ?

or perhaps learn new skill right from the beginning:

1: house renovation.
2: cooking.
3: repair works( computer, tv, fridge..etc..)
4: promoter.
5: and so on..

you better start thinking and planning, else you will be sitting for another 16 months.

Last edited:

During the last recession, a lot of factories closed down and moved to cheaper locations. These factories are gone for good. They ain't moving back even after the economy recovers. So while trying to protect the jobs of the locals, in the end, even the upper management got retrenched for good. This is what globalisation does. Every country faces the same problem to different extent. Those places with more natural resources could afford better protection for their people. In singapore, the only resource is manpower. So if we are not cheaper (or at least less expensive), we have got to be better. We are competing with cheaper workers elsewhere. We just have to accept it and live with it.

I just read a report on the number of unemployed in China. These people are willing to work for very low wages.
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Asia/Story/A1Story20100910-236629.html

Comparing ourselves to them, we are still considered pretty fortunate.

During the last recession, a lot of factories closed down and moved to cheaper locations. These factories are gone for good. They ain't moving back even after the economy recovers. So while trying to protect the jobs of the locals, in the end, even the upper management got retrenched for good. This is what globalisation does. Every country faces the same problem to different extent. Those places with more natural resources could afford better protection for their people. In singapore, the only resource is manpower. So if we are not cheaper (or at least less expensive), we have got to be better. We are competing with cheaper workers elsewhere. We just have to accept it and live with it.

I just read a report on the number of unemployed in China. These people are willing to work for very low wages.
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20100910-236629.html

Comparing ourselves to them, we are still considered pretty fortunate.

Survival of the Fittest (and multitasking). I think if anyone has not figured that out by now is doom. And doom to waste time lamenting instead of helping themselves.

Also I would not always want to bring up the "AGE" card. If you have what it takes, you will not say not be able to find something to do. If you want to remain fussy and dreaming of your hey days or the hey days you WERE PROMISED in your old age. They have another thing coming lah.

I am 48. I left a shitty job at great risk in 2008. Financial no well off though I was a manager ( an over work and multi hat one) I jump off and in a way luck and also becos I have numerous experiences where some I learnt on the job or willing to take on as part of my work(load).. ..and not ask for more money. Well that experience, mindset and abilities left me "employable" enough to get offered a chance to get another job 2 months plus of being jobless. I got picked up for a more better position then I applied for.

At 48... I don't see any problem with my future and I am willing to learning, a flexible mindset and making time enjoying my life without over working. If anyone at my age want to still think.. it is time to ease back and still carry on earning more and thinking that age egual promotion..etc they really have to take off their rose tainted glass and smell the coffee. This is Singapore. Hate for what it is or maybe it is time for a mind change. It is hard as some might not have started yet but hey.. you want to keep eating and living, what choice do you have apart from lamenting all the time.

Granted I also will lament about stuff like that but behind the screen.. I am still fighting the good fight to live on.

And at the back of my mind I know I can be replaced, down graded or have to do a lot more lower paying job or just be paid as such. Can you change that? "Survival of the Fittest" is not something Charles Darwin thought out and that saying is obsolete and just for history class. It is very much the NAME OF THE GAME today until the day the earth stop existing.

Right now I am still having problem hiring people for some retail sale job. I wish so much to give to locals but in the end I have alot of Filipinos, Malaysian and China national coming in for the job. Locals just seem to want a lot more benefits but do less work or work that give them more free time to enjoy.. etc. True these are junior position in sales and more suitable for the young but even the young rather be "executive" and find serving "degrading". and the older staff which I am open to employ..they rather dream of their hey days... they want to still have the same things they enjoyed ( especially the manager type ) but are now retrenched from. As much as you want that or blame the govt for that.. the thing is.. you can not live on love and fresh air in the mean time. As a Chinese saying goes.. Horse die, get up and walk... till you find another horse. If you are good and hardworking even a lower position job can give you the means to get promoted fast or be the stepping stone you need to survive. The definition of "Survive" in Singapore is alot more grander then surviving in say Indonesian or Vietnam.

Last edited:
It is always good that people in this forum shared their experience and concern on the topic.

The key to resolve all these problem is to plan ahead for rainy days and to learn the rope to financial freedom.

I've noticed alot of young people who joined work force with 2 to 3 years of working experience started buying cars and indulged in buying branded, luxury goods. It will be a worrying sign if this group believe that their pay will raise along their experience & age and be financially over committed. Hopefully, they do some save up and have some good planning.

Coming to age 40 or beyond is the time when one will worry if they will be asked to leave when times are bad as they might be paid higher as compared to their younger peer and not able to work longer hours as them. To add on, they might be still repaying their housing, car loans and not mentioning supporting their family.....

one last and most important question from me. what have you been doing for the pass 16 months? sitting at home waiting for reply or did you take up any course/self improvement skill ?

or perhaps learn new skill right from the beginning:

1: house renovation.
2: cooking.
3: repair works( computer, tv, fridge..etc..)
4: promoter.
5: and so on..

you better start thinking and planning, else you will be sitting for another 16 months.

For the past 16 month. I am working as a very important person ( do not ask me what i am doing) before you board the plane . pLEASE do not ask me what i am doing. The job is so bored that i can finish reading 2 photography book in 1 week.

It is always good that people in this forum shared their experience and concern on the topic.

The key to resolve all these problem is to plan ahead for rainy days and to learn the rope to financial freedom.

I've noticed alot of young people who joined work force with 2 to 3 years of working experience started buying cars and indulged in buying branded, luxury goods. It will be a worrying sign if this group believe that their pay will raise along their experience & age and be financially over committed. Hopefully, they do some save up and have some good planning.

Coming to age 40 or beyond is the time when one will worry if they will be asked to leave when times are bad as they might be paid higher as compared to their younger peer and not able to work longer hours as them. To add on, they might be still repaying their housing, car loans and not mentioning supporting their family.....

Yes, you are right. Do not buy what you cannot pay. Live within your mean.

For the past 16 month. I am working as a very important person ( do not ask me what i am doing) before you board the plane . pLEASE do not ask me what i am doing. The job is so bored that i can finish reading 2 photography book in 1 week.

A. Airport Police / SATS
B. ICA
C. Ticketing Operations
D. ISD
E. None of the above

Last edited: