Olympus to sell off camera division

Olympus MFT, a nice format for those who own it.

And will likely have a new owner soon.

Or a new addition to the list of discontinued but distinguished products.

Oh Oly, Oh MFT, even the "Crazy Rich Asians" can't save you. :)

Olympus MFT, a nice format for those who own it.

And will likely have a new owner soon.

Or a new addition to the list of discontinued but distinguished products.

Oh Oly, Oh MFT, even the "Crazy Rich Asians" can't save you. :)

Don't join the crowd to cheer for the demise of Olympus or MFT.
There was no exodus of MFT users to Full Frame, the Market share is still about the same.
What actually happened is there is an exodus of people who gave up cameras and start using smart phones to capture images.
If Olympus or Pentax or any smaller market share manufacturers dies, the rest will follow.
Just look at Typewriters, Fax Machines and GPS manufacturers and you know what I mean.

Let's be camera ambassadors and continue to promote the benefit of photography with cameras
to all those around us, be it Full Frame, APS or Micro 4/3s. :)

Let me be clear.

I am not cheering the demise of Oly or MFT. The world does not need another skeptic, and there are herds out there for sure.

The thread is about who will possibly buy the Olympus Camera Company.

Somehow, some of you turn this forum (a) "parading" your own Olympus collection (b) making statements about how good Olympus cameras are (c) Olympus should not go FF but stick with MFT

Nevertheless this thread has been hijacked into different directions.

But it still is a forum, and its ok to have different opinions without being incarcerated.

So, how is Olympus camera company going to survive the impending gloomy future?

Now in 2020, MFT has to face Nikon Z50 (APS-C), Z6 + Z7 full frame mirrorless, Nikon full frame mirrored D5, D6, D850, Canon RF mount full frame mirrorless, Canon EF mount full frame mirrored 5D Mk4, 1DX2, 1DX3, Leica CL (APS-C) & SL2 (Full Frame), Fuji X-T4 (to be launched tomorrow 26 Feb 2020) and X-H1 (both APS-C) the X-H2 may be released later, Sony A7R3, R4, A9 Mark2, (full frame) A6600 (APS-C).
Also Panasonic mirrorless L mount Lumix S1 and S1R (full frame) & S1H (full frame - good for video).
If Sigma is able to make Full Frame Foveon L mount body (it has announced postponement), then that is one more competing model.

The competition to MFT is overwhelming.
It is true the price range is wide. But (for example) a buyer of a full frame Leica SL2 is looking for a different class of performance - and able to afford it.

The current Covid-19 crisis will hit the already depressed digital camera sales even more in 2020.
In view of the above, worldwide MFT market share for Olympus is likely to go far below 2.8% in 2020.

Although Olympus earns enough from endoscopy instruments to finance a money losing operation in Olympus Camera Imaging Division, that does not mean the shareholders and investors are happy to pour money down a bottomless pit, year after year.

In the Tokyo Olympics 2020 year, Olympus is unlikely to hive off Olympus Camera Imaging Division, due to corporate face-saving reasons.
But after that, let us monitor and see what develops.

Last edited:
Let me be clear.

I am not cheering the demise of Oly or MFT. The world does not need another skeptic, and there are herds out there for sure.

The thread is about who will possibly buy the Olympus Camera Company.

Somehow, some of you turn this forum (a) "parading" your own Olympus collection (b) making statements about how good Olympus cameras are (c) Olympus should not go FF but stick with MFT

Nevertheless this thread has been hijacked into different directions.

But it still is a forum, and its ok to have different opinions without being incarcerated.

So, how is Olympus camera company going to survive the impending gloomy future?
Wow! That's a lot of misunderstood connotations.
a) My intention is not to parade, but more of a journey for a photo enthusiast over 3 years
(read my post again - it's actually meant to show how much lower I have spent compared
to a equivalent APS or Full Frame system)
b) Of course, otherwise I would have purchased other brands if Olympus is not good in my opionion
c) This is not only obvious, but true (look at Panasonic now struggling with L-Mount mirrorless)

Olympus survival will solely based on management and stakeholders decision.
It is obvious that the imaging division is losing money (and likely to continue)
but the current CEO felt that the Imaging Division is impt to Olympus business.

We do not know what will happen when there is a change in CEO in a few years time.
All I know is that I definitely can continue to use my Olympus for the next couple
of years, even if Olympus Imaging Div is sold or die a natural death.

Pitachu, there are other good lenses. I am happy with the Lumix 200/2.8, and the 100-300. Occasionally you see them up on sale here. Both that i mentioned, I picked up from here. ;).

Bad case of GAS when I see those superb lenses. I am fortunate I did not move to Sony..else I would be selling my house to fulfill the GAS urges.

This the very old 50-500. Not the sharpest.
42889770761_28844e9956_c.jpg

Pitachu, there are other good lenses. I am happy with the Lumix 200/2.8, and the 100-300. Occasionally you see them up on sale here. Both that i mentioned, I picked up from here. ;).

Bad case of GAS when I see those superb lenses. I am fortunate I did not move to Sony..else I would be selling my house to fulfill the GAS urges.

This the very old 50-500. Not the sharpest.
I have tried the Olympus 40-150mm and 300mm both with a 2x TC during a Birding Class organized by olympus.
I personally feel 600mm (35mm equivalent) is almost the bare minimum to reach smaller birds near top of trees.
The coming 150-400 (300-800 or 375-1000) will be more ideal :)

Wow! That's a lot of misunderstood connotations.
a) My intention is not to parade, but more of a journey for a photo enthusiast over 3 years
(read my post again - it's actually meant to show how much lower I have spent compared
to a equivalent APS or Full Frame system)
b) Of course, otherwise I would have purchased other brands if Olympus is not good in my opionion
c) This is not only obvious, but true (look at Panasonic now struggling with L-Mount mirrorless)

Olympus survival will solely based on management and stakeholders decision.
It is obvious that the imaging division is losing money (and likely to continue)
but the current CEO felt that the Imaging Division is impt to Olympus business.

We do not know what will happen when there is a change in CEO in a few years time.
All I know is that I definitely can continue to use my Olympus for the next couple
of years, even if Olympus Imaging Div is sold or die a natural death.

Pitachu, not my intention to mistaken you.

I wrote "parading" which is not the same as parading (without open inverted commas)

Just like "impress" is not the same as impress.

And "Sia-suay" is not the same as sia-suay.

So for example - The official was parading his achievements to impress the sia-suay and idiotic peasants it is not the same as -

The official was "parading" his achievements to "impress" the generally "sia-suay" and idiotic peasants.

Hope this clarifies now.

I guess many people miss this announcement because it was in Japanese.
This is the google translated version

In short, for Mirrorless Only, Olympus is 3rd in Japan for Market share, with only a few % behind Canon & Sony.
Canon = 30.9%, Sony 25.9%, Olympus 23.4%.

Just that if you add up all the categories together, Olympus is rather weak.
But it's note likely that it is only to die soon :)

BCN is an acronym for Business Computer News. The organisation that organised this survey.
Before I checked, I was wondering if it stood for Buying Cameras Nippon.
The survey period is from (January 1st – December 31st) sales comparison
BCN collects the sales data of large electronics wholesalers nationwide, PC specialty stores and Internet shops.

The "2020 award" obviously refers to 2019 year long data. Because now is only February 2020.
A person named PVC commented a month ago : "BCN has never been real. It's a paid Canon survey with select vendors in Japan that are big Canon shops."
You know how it is.
Like in various British HiFi magazines that issue their own annual "awards" to audio equipment brands. Which you take with a pinch of salt.
Winning an award probably depends on how much the brand advertises in the HiFi magazine.
That is reality.

The award category "Digital Camera (mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera) is wide.
This is a mixed bag that would include full frame, APS-C, MFT and even medium format. In fact it should technically include Leica M10 + M240 and Alpa 12 TC.
Maybe Canon's lead spring from sales of their EOS M6 Mk2 which is small, light and cheap. 32.5 MP and APS-C with optional EVF-DC2 electronic viewfinder.

It does not reveal on what basis the measurement is made. In terms of total ¥ Yen value spent or in terms of number of physical units of camera bodies sold.
It does not reveal whether Non-Japanese brands (Leica, Alpa etc) are included or excluded.

This is only Japan market. World wide is a different story.
For example, Fuji is below the radar in the BCN survey. But in US, Fuji is strong.

The Nikkei data on world wide market share is probably more reliable.

Last edited:
Just happened to come across this.
The market capitalization of Olympus is 2.73 trillion yen. (approx USD 25 Billion)
The market capitalization of Panasonic is 2.54 trillion yen.(approx USD 23 Billion)

1. Was surprised that Olympus is larger than Panasonic
2. Don't think any of these 2 giants will collapse in the near future

Yes, for Olympus, the Imaging Division is only 5% of its business
and probably for Panasonic too. I am sure these 2 giants are
scratching their head to find a niche in imaging :cool:

Panasonic has gone into video and Full Frame.
Both has tried Tough Cameras (Olympus more successful)

Wondering what will Olympus come up with next for a niche?

Ha Ha you just make me drool.
Unfortunately the money plant in my flower pot dont produce money, only leaves LOL.

I am actually saving up for the coming 150-400 with TC 1.25
as I am interested to try birding and shoorint wildlife on a safari at the moment :)

I have tried the 40-150 2.8 with 2x telecoverter. It is really nice and relatively light for a 600mm setup
but it is barely enough for birding.
I am currently using the Sony A6400 with the 200-600 in my new bird photography madness. It's great until you have to lug it around or use it hand held.
I have been eyeing the Olympus M43 for the very same reason I settled for compact cameras for my travels, weight and portability and the big one, cost. The TC alone is like half the price.
I see a further added edge of the smaller sensor, the greater depth of field, you'll appreciate it working with long lenses.
Every design has shortcomings but also advantages, we buy what we need as against many who needs a badge to go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitachu
Cost is the big factor for majority of people.

Before Canon and Nikon moved into mirrorless ILC circa 2018/2019, their users had less choice of mirrorless ILC bodies.
MFT, Fuji, Sony.

Canon and Nikon both have large user bases. Some of their users have many expensive legacy lenses.
With a Nikon full frame Z body and adapter or a Canon RF body and adapter; their users can use the legacy lenses sitting in their dry cabinets.
If their legacy lens is AF, they can use the autofocus feature.

It is a HUGE $$$ saving. That draws people away from MFT and towards Z or RF full frame bodies..

With full frame, a 20mm wide angle lens remains 20mm. No crop factor. This is important for landscape and street shoot..

If the user has Leica R or Contax Zeiss lenses, he can use them on the Nikon Z or Canon RF bodies with suitable adapters.
Although in manual focus mode only. Again, no crop factor.

I have heard of the TechArt adapters that purport to bring autofocus to small manual Leica M lenses on Sony full frame A7R3 bodies.
But many friends have malfunctioned TechArt adapters (expensive $500 to $600).
(maybe they abused the adapter by using with big and heavy lenses - beyond the design parameters)
When the TechArt adapter is sent for repair, still waiting after 6 months.
The TechArt manufacturer may purposely make the users wait 10 years until they give up.

It is all in the money. If you have a lot of lenses, then moving away from that system and restocking will cost.

To me, it was the AGE factor. I would love to have a Sony system But the weight was the main deterrent.

I am currently using the Sony A6400 with the 200-600 in my new bird photography madness. It's great until you have to lug it around or use it hand held.
I have been eyeing the Olympus M43 for the very same reason I settled for compact cameras for my travels, weight and portability and the big one, cost. The TC alone is like half the price.
I see a further added edge of the smaller sensor, the greater depth of field, you'll appreciate it working with long lenses.
Every design has shortcomings but also advantages, we buy what we need as against many who needs a badge to go with it.
Thanks. It's really nice to finally hear from some one who appreciates M43 after all the bashing of Olympus & M43 above.
Actually, I initially bought the EM5.3 because I found my Sony RX10 IV (24mm - 600mm) too heavy and cumbersome.
I realized that whenever I am not outdoor in the wild, I seldom use the range 200-600mm).
Hence, I got the EM5.3 with 12-100 as my walk around setup and I even bought the pancake kit lens
to use the EM5 like a compact camera :)

It was only after when I join Olympus Club and join them for the birding classes that I tried out
the 300mm with 2x Tele (equivalent to 1200mm on 35mm) that I got interested in birding.
I never thought it is possible to shoot handheld with 1200mm and walk around easy with such a lens.

In fact, the kit was so light that I was actually carrying a EM1x with 300mm F4 (600mm) and a EM5.3 with
40-150 (80-300). Sadly the EM1x, 300mm and 40-150mm are all on loan and have to be returned after
the birding workshop but it was fun!