Official Plane Spotting Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A DHL Boeing 757 returning from a test flight. This was taken on the same day DHL's competitor, FedEx, took delivery of its first Boeing 777F.

121910004.jpg

Nice one! That’s a 767, not a 757 BTW.

I've a photo of a DHL 727 taken at Melbourne last year, that thing smoked so much you could see it coming miles away.

Hmmm...there is something VERY interesting about 627. Will not discuss more, but you'll spot it if you know what you're looking for.

Have been absent from this thread since the airshow, thanks to a little bird for giving me the headsup that there have been interesting happenings here.

Nice photos Orion!
Oh wow! Though I am aware that there are F-16 airframes for experimental flight test purposes, this is a whole new level of recognition completely beyond me. :sweat:

I had compared photos of RSAF F-16D at the same angle with the following RSAF S/N. 624, 632 and 692 all assigned to 143 sqn that I had took over the past year and found nothing out of the ordinary other than the absence of the starboard station (5R) targeting pod and the centerline external fuel tank, which I guess is probably not what you are referring to anyway since they are removable. :think:

Last edited:
Probably the last photo of the E-2C Hawkeye that I would ever capture before they are decommissioned, this will also be my last spotting contribution from Jurong for the next couple of months at least.

Hopefully member such as Gilcrest will be able to contribute further as spotting for military aircraft is often a tedious affair as compared to civilian aircraft. :)

4363584875_1450c9b9d5_o.jpg

4364323134_c29edf49ac_o.jpg

Republic of Singapore Airforce (RSAF)
RSAF 111 Squadron "Jaeger" @ Tengah Airbase (TAB)/WSAT

E-2C Hawkeye (Group 0)
RSAF S/N. 012 (BuNo. 162794)

Disclaimer (at the end of the posting).

Hey guys, just wanna ask, if at east coast park, can we shoot planes from there?
like would i able to see a plane? and maybe how close?

Hmmm...there is something VERY interesting about 627. Will not discuss more, but you'll spot it if you know what you're looking for.

Have been absent from this thread since the airshow, thanks to a little bird for giving me the headsup that there have been interesting happenings here.

Nice photos Orion!

Are you referring to the chaff/flare dispenser on the dorsal?

Hey guys, just wanna ask, if at east coast park, can we shoot planes from there?

like would i able to see a plane? and maybe how close?
Never did attempted plane spotting anywhere along East Coast Park (ECP) before so I'm afraid someone else with the experience will be able to provide you with a definitive answer.

Generally speaking though, as with Changi Business Park (CBP), favourable aviation photography opportunities from a south-eastern location such as East Coast Park (ECP) exist only between October to March when RWY 02L and RWY 02C are used for arrivals due to the prevailing north-east monsoon seasonal winds.
Are you referring to the chaff/flare dispenser on the dorsal?
I doubt so as the Chaff and Flare Dispensers (CFD), located beneath the VHF/UHF antenna, are obscured by the starboard launch rail (station 9) mounted Captive Air Training Missile/Dummy Air Training Missile (CATM/DATM)* or Acceleration Monitoring Assembly/Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMA/AMD)* pod at the wing-tip.

* Unsure what it is actually though supposedly they can be identified by the colour coded bands around them. :sweat:

Last edited:
I was watching a documentary on the A-10 Thunderbolt recently and was thinking about the GAU-8 gun mounted at the front of the plane. I thought that that gun was mounted in-line with the plane's line of flight. That will mean that the plane will need to dive when it needs to fire at ground targets. Then I found out that the gun was mounted with a 2 degree downward angle with respect to its line of flight.

Never did attempted plane spotting anywhere along East Coast Park (ECP) before so I'm afraid someone else with the experience will be able to provide you with a definitive answer.

Generally speaking though, as with Changi Business Park (CBP), favourable aviation photography opportunities from a south-eastern location such as East Coast Park (ECP) exist only between October to March when RWY 02L and RWY 02C are used for arrivals due to the prevailing north-east monsoon seasonal winds.

I doubt so as the Chaff and Flare Dispensers (CFD), located beneath the VHF/UHF antenna, are obscured by the starboard launch rail (station 9) mounted Captive Air Training Missile/Dummy Air Training Missile (CATM/DATM)* or Assembly Monitoring Device/Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMA/AMD)* pod at the wing-tip.

* Unsure what it is actually though supposedly they can be identified by the colour coded bands around them. :sweat:

yup the dispenser are being blocked by stn 9. its a captive Aim9 P4 on e stn 9 of this jet. the blue band means its captive. AMA pod has no carnards on e front.

yup the dispenser are being blocked by stn 9. its a captive Aim9 P4 on e stn 9 of this jet. the blue band means its captive. AMA pod has no carnards on e front.
Appreciate the additional details provided with regards to the CATM and AMA pod, will check it up on the definition and significance of the colour coded bands though I felt enlightened already. :lovegrin:

Maybe I should pull up one of my avionics technician formerly from RSAF and question him about the photo again. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Supplementary belly shot for recognition purposes, anybody can distinguish if the Vipers are the C or D variants just judging from the underside? :think:

4353225572_40d722ca60_b.jpg

4353224302_cab568030f_b.jpg

Well if it were a pure belly shot you wouldn't be able to tell, but from the angle that you've taken you can see the drag chute housing aft of the tail that distinguishes the D from the C.

thanks fot the info! maybe i shall just try to go there. :bsmilie:

I was watching a documentary on the A-10 Thunderbolt recently and was thinking about the GAU-8 gun mounted at the front of the plane. I thought that that gun was mounted in-line with the plane's line of flight. That will mean that the plane will need to dive when it needs to fire at ground targets. Then I found out that the gun was mounted with a 2 degree downward angle with respect to its line of flight.

Actually with a 2 deg downward cantered gun, you still need to be in a dive to employ the gun properly. Low angle strafe is flown at 10 deg dive and high angle strafe at 20 to 30. So whichever profile you fly, you still need to dive at min of 8 deg or the rounds will ricochet. Unless of course you're strafing a vertical target from below. With a 2 deg down gun, trying to employ the gun against am aircraft would be very difficult, hence the 2 deg up gun on the mighty f-15. Multi role jets like the f-16 have a zero cant gun which makes it good for both air and ground targets.

Well if it were a pure belly shot you wouldn't be able to tell, but from the angle that you've taken you can see the drag chute housing aft of the tail that distinguishes the D from the C.
Hmm, didn't knew the F-16D is equip with drag chute. :think:
Actually with a 2 deg downward cantered gun, you still need to be in a dive to employ the gun properly. Low angle strafe is flown at 10 deg dive and high angle strafe at 20 to 30. So whichever profile you fly, you still need to dive at min of 8 deg or the rounds will ricochet. Unless of course you're strafing a vertical target from below. With a 2 deg down gun, trying to employ the gun against am aircraft would be very difficult, hence the 2 deg up gun on the mighty f-15. Multi role jets like the f-16 have a zero cant gun which makes it good for both air and ground targets.
You must be one hardcore military enthusiast. :bsmilie:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hmm, didn't knew the F-16D is equip with drag chute.

You must be one hardcore military enthusiast. :bsmilie:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

actually our f-16d's don't have a drag chute. That's only the housing. :) the USAF don't use it either. Only some European countries actually fit a chute in the housing.

actually our f-16d's don't have a drag chute. That's only the housing. :) the USAF don't use it either. Only some European countries actually fit a chute in the housing.
Ah, I see. Thank for clarifying. :D

Do you happen to be a RSAF engineer or senior technician also? :think:

Nice one! That’s a 767, not a 757 BTW.

I've a photo of a DHL 727 taken at Melbourne last year, that thing smoked so much you could see it coming miles away.

My bad. Make that a 767 then. It's been five months since the photo was taken and I guess I remembered wrong what the Boeing staff told me as we watched the plane land.

A flydubai B737 on its walkabout (They towed it around the airport, like it's on NDP or something, with engines off) :dunno:

122115309.jpg

A yet-to-be-painted Ryanair B737

122115323.jpg

A DHL Boeing 757 returning from a test flight. This was taken on the same day DHL's competitor, FedEx, took delivery of its first Boeing 777F.

121910004.jpg

i believe that is a B767...

i believe that is a B767...
Yes it is, as Mike had mentioned earlier. Identical forward half of Section 41 (or the nose portion of the fuselarge) as the B777. :)

The Section 41 of the B757 as with the B747 are rather unique amongst the Boeing family. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.