Official Announcement of Nikon Df

I will choose

Results are only viewable after voting.

I am perplexed by the imagination that digital photography is the end it all for film. Sure, it is, for the 35mm format, and indeed, the medium format too.

But I know of large format photographers who do exactly that (carry the tripod an and the 4" x 5" film etc).

Why do i bring up large format? Yes, I am certain that we would have large format digital back technology that is commercially viable in the future. But even with the best lenses and the best digital back, there are other things to master. One example would be the adjustment of both the lens plane and the film plane in accordance to the Scheimpflug principle. This is one thing that the simple presence of a digital sensor and an autofocus module can solve.

As for large format photographers, there aren't many left, and but the few that are left are good at what they do. Ansel Adams, the photographer mentioned earlier, was one of them.

Please note that the 36mm X 24mm format is called the 135 format and not the commonly misunderstood 35mm format which actually refers to a particular film format that measures 35mm in width.

Please note that the 36mm X 24mm format is called the 135 format and not the commonly misunderstood 35mm format which actually refers to a particular film format that measures 35mm in width.

OT liao.

But I do not agree with this observation. Perhaps Anthony you want to point to some references to show us it is indeed so?

AFAIK it is called 35mm because the earliest film stocks used in this "135" format were scraps from 35mm film used in the movie industry, and adapted to stills running the frame horizontally (24x36) instead of vertically (24x18). See http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/filmformats.html

Olympus Pen F used the 24x18, so we had DX format even before digital!

Hi, yes, in a way, you are more precise, and I am happy to elaborate more on this. However, I agree that this is OT, and for the interest of this thread and title, I shall refrain from replying here, which ought to be more focused on the Nikon Df.

135 and 35mm names have been used interchangably for the longest time. No right and wrong here.

But lets stay on topic please. Thank you all.

For those who are interested in the Gariz Case, it will be available next Monday or Tuesday in our dealers store.

You may PM to register your interest with the authorized dealers who will contact you once the stock arrives.

Buy Buy Buy :thumbsup:

:cheergal:

IIRC Ansel Adams was an 8×10 user.

FYI, Ansel Adams used 8x10, 4x5, 6cmx6cm (Hasselblad), and surprise, surprise, 24mmx36mm(Contax) formats, at various periods of his life, for his work. His recommendation to his students was always to take the biggest camera you can carry and to always use a lens hood.

FYI, Ansel Adams used 8x10, 4x5, 6cmx6cm (Hasselblad), and surprise, surprise, 24mmx36mm(Contax) formats, at various periods of his life, for his work. His recommendation to his students was always to take the biggest camera you can carry and to always use a lens hood.

bet Ansel wished he had a Nikon D800 ;)

bet Ansel wished he had a Nikon D800 ;)

Just to bring back to topic...
Bet he would rather have the d800e so he can upload to social media on the fly..
AND A DF AS A SECONDARY BODY... ;)

Hi guys

I am considering buying a DF tomorrow. Just one question (I have tried the DF at NSC): Aperture control, is it fixed on the dial in front (dial 2 in Nikon's diagram: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/df/compatibility03.htm), or can it be assigned to the back dial (dial 23)? I found dial 2 not so easy to be changing it while keeping my eye in the finder (I do have large fingers).

Hi guys

I am considering buying a DF tomorrow. Just one question (I have tried the DF at NSC): Aperture control, is it fixed on the dial in front (dial 2 in Nikon's diagram: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/df/compatibility03.htm), or can it be assigned to the back dial (dial 23)? I found dial 2 not so easy to be changing it while keeping my eye in the finder (I do have large fingers).

by default it is the dial in front..
but it can be assigned to the dial at the back..

What are you waiting for ? Why does it take so long ?

maybe he can't decide with or without kit lens.
Just like me, I have 50mm 1.4D ......... :embrass: