NY in October/November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danntbt

Jul 28, 2004
Chestnut
dannytoh.multiply.com
Would be making a short trip to NY at the end of October, just wondering if its a friendly place for photographer....was in Beijing and Shanghai on two separate trips and found that its pretty safe to wander around early at dawn...like 5am on my own, even into alleys. Guess NY is not as safe? Or is it?

Planning to bring along my own 20D, 24-70L, but not sure if 70-200 f4 would be useful. Am making arrangement trough a contact to borrow a wide, which would be the best option? Ultra wide
10-22 or 16-35 or 17-35 or 17-40?
Also, hope to see if its possible to lay my hand on a 28-105 f4, but most likely it would not be available.

Plan to visit art museums too, but would be visiting mainly Art Schools. Day itineries would begin at 8.30 am. Would be free mostly in the evenings.

I am not adverse to carrying a little more weight, Gears brought on my previous trips include D70 + AFS17-35 +AFD80-200N(2-touch) + Compact Drive +a CF Tripod with Mg Head and a 12in pwr-bk which I carried throughout the trip in my crumpler.

Might bring along an old iBook instead on this trip, so maybe can leave it in the Hotel Rm Safe.

Ask the hotel which streets are safe and at what times....they know best. Esp if you are alone,it's always to play safe than sorry.

Some other states, you need to take a cab just to get 2-3 streets down...:sweat:

Hi,

NYC at the end of Oct might get a little chilly, so might not be too comfortable especially if you are not used to the cold. I would say it's safe enough to walk around even late night on the major streets e.g 5th Ave but I would advise against wandering off too far into the alleys, especially alone...

Have a look around the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in NYC, should find something interesting there. I find that it's a huge city with lots of opportunities for photography.

Have fun!

Ok, meaning keeping to the main streets should be safe....Well, definitely would be going to Met, by MOMA would be nice but not sure could squeeze that in. Ya, am aware of the chill,was in Beijing in March, went as low as 0 in the early morning....but actually love it cold...masochist in me I guess.

hmm...u can help those who wans to get Kiev Camera...buy their stuff...hehe...if possible..it will be awesome.

Well...never been to NY or US b4, so purchasing things is not part of the plan as would like to just enjoy the trip....haha, not very clear on the various procedures like tax/rebates etc.
Anyway, my planned itineries are packed till at least 6 every day...leaving little shopping time, really..sorry about that.

hey some advise =)
generally in a populated big city, better to bring wide angle with a mid range for some close up shots. i never found tele very useful in big cities unless you really want to pinpoint a shot out (seldom)

bring charger (duh) coz when it is cold, the batteries die faster

pack light so you can carry your cam along the streets.
just hang around you with a hood one ..
its very crowded so the hood helps protect your cam lens from getting knocked into.

most places in NYC are safe.
dont go to the wrong alleys..
major streets are good
also. dont stay out too late.
use common sense

The main thing to remember is not to bring a tripod up The Empire State Building.

You'll have your tripod taken by the security people. Of course you'll get it back when you come back down.

Oh... do make a trip to B&H. You'll drool when you walk in there. Some more they will let you try what is on display.

GST in New York is 8.25%. So be prepared to see quite expensive stuff if you decide to buy something from the shops.

Guess when there is a crowd, or people around it would be safe, ya, hope to be able to visit B&H, the Cam'R'us, haha....budget would be limited though unless get a windfall before going, guess might not bring the 70-200, hardly used my 80-200 when I was in Beijing, the 17-35 was on my cam 90% of the time. I am not sure how much sight seing there would be for this trip as it's more an education trip to visit institution.

i'll be there as well :eek:

Danntbt said:
so what gears do you plan to carry along...

my 300d + 28-75 tammy? :dunno:

in the process of getting the tokina 12-24 as well.

wont be bringing my tripod because its too damm heavy to bring around.. even though its like 2kg :dunno:

for night shots i'll have to rely on placing the cam on something or just bump up the iso :dunno:

definately wont be bringing the telephoto, or even the 50mm. To much of a hassel to switch lens in the middle of traffic imo

travel light in new york
you'll enjoy it more.
people there don't like people standing around with large cameras blocking up the way. you'll probably get better photos doing it the art student way (prime lens)
I'll be there late oct to nov too!haha.
what art schools are you planning to visit?

Dont miss out on Central Park, especially on the weekends when it's packed full of people.

Apart from B&H, there's also Adorama.

Makan recommendation... Shake Shack in Madison Sq Park serves up the most yummilicious burgers in the whole of NY. Don't miss out on their frozen custard too.

Visiting a number of schools such as Frank Sinatra school, Herithage Sch, A&D, some public school and Carnegie Hall. Sightseeing would be as per individual preference during free time in the evening and 1st day on arrival and last day. In between 4 days with 2 visists per day...going with a delegation of Art teachers. Well, not likely to be going there again in the near future so hope to get as much photo opportunities as possible, would look at Central Park as Terence's suggestion. And thanks for the food recommendation.

would recommend travelling light so that you can do more walking w/o breaking your back :)

mattlock said:
and is mr farlow going too

Haha, you know Mr. Toh as well?

I'll be in NY for work from mid-Oct to first week Nov too. The weather forecast is 13-18, so unless you are very scared cold, the weather should be really good for walking. Don't worry about safety, manhattan is so full of people that you're unlikely to be able to wander anywhere alone unless you're at harlem.

Photography-wise, I'm planning to go to MOMA (excellent photography collection) and the Sonneband Gallery (which is a photography-centred art gallery).

Foodwise, try the seafood places at 2nd/52-53rd. You can get a whole lobster with side dishes for 18US. Its coincidentally next to the Singapore embassy too! And of course, the hot dogs at Papaya King. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.