NY in October/November

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYC in Oct is nice. At night, it doesn't drop by a lot, around 10 degrees celcius or 50F. If you stay into early November, if the weather permits, Rockerfeller Center would have the ice skating ring working by then. :lovegrin: Early morning is actually safer than night... From 5am, the city starts to come alive as people starts to prepare for the new day and arrive at work. 1st Wwatch starts at 0700, so it does not leave a lot of time. At night OTOH, stay on the main road and in popular areas in mid-town or lower manhattan; don't go to the other boroughs after dark, not Central Park as well.

NYC is a very walkable city. Trains etc run 24/7. Just board and alight at the main stations like 72nd E, 64th E, 42nd (Broadway), etc rather than the smaller ones at night; they might not be open anyway. Ironically, I find the people there more courteous than SG. They give way to you, say "Morning" and smile, in contrast to the zombie-like people here.

Remember "Houston" is pronounced as "House-ton" ;)

Danntbt said:
Would be making a short trip to NY at the end of October, just wondering if its a friendly place for photographer

Are you talking about New York City or New York State? There's a lot of variety, and rural central or upstate New York differ greatly from let's say the Bronx. We didn't have any problems leaving our car unlocked (doorlock broken) in central NY (plus it's a much nicer and less cliche place than NYC).

mattlock said:
who goes to new york for new york state?

People who enjoy nature, arts & culture, and don't like to breathe the perpetual stench of rotting trash in Manhattan?

that's amazing...I didn't know there was arts and culture in new york state.grin
anyway manhattan smells ok except in summer when the trash starts to stink
I went upstate a few times, can't say it rocked my world.

Do drop by ICP (International Center of Photography) if possible.

Address: 1114 Avenue of the Americas 43rd Street New York NY 10036

Sure there'll be exhibition going on so check it out!

Jon

Very important notice to all photographers visiting new york before the 23rd of October:
Visit the Matthew Marks Gallery for a show by Inez and Vinoodh, two of the best portrait/fashion shooters out there right now

NYC esp Manhattan island is safe generally, you can see a lot of security forces in almost every corner....but practice common sense....stay within tourism area like Broadway and 3rd to 5th ave....avoid small alley and esp if you see a group of black people (not discriminating but just a precaucious measures)....I ever walk along Time square area at 2am and still come back in one piece :lovegrin:

Big Kahuna said:
NYC esp Manhattan island is safe generally, you can see a lot of security forces in almost every corner....but practice common sense....stay within tourism area like Broadway and 3rd to 5th ave....avoid small alley and esp if you see a group of black people (not discriminating but just a precaucious measures)....I ever walk along Time square area at 2am and still come back in one piece :lovegrin:

Times Square sucks
go visit the east village west village chelsea etc etc, that's where proper new yorkers hang out, not visitors from conneticut.see, I can't even spell that state properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.