[Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

End of the day is still up to individual preference.

My view, never hear before doesn't meant no good.
Just like on the road. U still see so many different brand of cars.

Last time people say korean car no good, but look at the market now?

Another factor is costing.
Pentax costing and bundles are too attractive to give it a miss.

Till know, i think the Kx is really proving the most bang for bucks.
And quality of pictures are not too bad.!!

Loving my Kx till date :heart:

I still prefer Pentax to be an underdog rather than too popular. Well, at least I can feel special and one of a kind weird guy with a white DLR. hah!

I chose Pentax because of the underdog status. If my picture is better than who took from CNS ones, it feels twice as better than them because I used an unknown brand gear. But if my picture is crappy most people (especially those who don't know about photography) will think my picture is crappy due to I used an unknown brand...

All in all it's a win win solution. :bsmilie:

uncle sweeper,

you make good points, for "new users", i think the issue (especially in singapore) is simply that most people would just ask their friends, relatives, etc.. what to buy. and of course, because of existing user base and advertising, no one has heard of pentax.
NM, you are absolutely right... All my friends, relatives and colleagues (literarily all of them) are NOT Pentax users... But I still end up buying Kx... :bsmilie: You know why?? Coz I took the effort to make full use of google and read from many DSLR review sites of different DSLR models before I took the plunge... I made my final decision after coming to CS forum and saw those pics taken with pentax DSLRs, a pic tells a thousand words... LOL...
To TS, why bother about whether Pentax is famous or not? At the end of the day, you must like the pics that you took with your DSLR, this is what matters most.. :) For me, I love my Kx, and it is white.... :lovegrin:

You guys must be wasting time on this thread.:bsmilie:

Is there a PENTEX brand as the thread title stated?:think:

If it's PENTAX, rather than follow the crowd to be a commoner...follow your instinct.:angel:

I think TS 'MIA' already.

uncle sweeper,

you make good points, for "new users", i think the issue (especially in singapore) is simply that most people would just ask their friends, relatives, etc.. what to buy. and of course, because of existing user base and advertising, no one has heard of pentax.

for "old users", i don't believe this is a point. for the people who would not switch, i don't think emergence of a new brand would matter much, no matter how tempting. these are usually the people who see a camera as a tool, a means to an end. for this, i am talking about hobbyists.

for the people who would switch, i've seen them drop an entire system, buy a new one, hold it for 3 months, and then switch back to the old one. losing enough money to buy half a new system from scratch in the process. so that's no issue. ;)

"new user " - another example
I have brought quite a few people to buy new compact / first DSLR ,
and when you put N and C side by side, with the others (O, P, S, etc)
the new users would naturally put N and C as their top choices, regardless what you say
brand power ...

"old users"
you know people whom are selling their entire system at big losses ?
I am interested, regardless of system ... hehehe ;p

Just hope Pentax can survive ... competition is needed ...

"new user " - another example
I have brought quite a few people to buy new compact / first DSLR ,
and when you put N and C side by side, with the others (O, P, S, etc)
the new users would naturally put N and C as their top choices, regardless what you say
brand power ...

I agree. But on the bright side, at least my lenses are safe. :think: :bsmilie:

"old users"
you know people whom are selling their entire system at big losses ?
I am interested, regardless of system ... hehehe ;p

Just hope Pentax can survive ... competition is needed ...

just camp at BNS :bsmilie:

$50 here, $100 there, it adds up. when these people switch, they don't just switch kit lens, they switch telephoto zoom, uwa zoom, primes, etc.. whole set.

I chose Pentax because of the underdog status. If my picture is better than who took from CNS ones, it feels twice as better than them because I used an unknown brand gear. But if my picture is crappy most people (especially those who don't know about photography) will think my picture is crappy due to I used an unknown brand...

All in all it's a win win solution. :bsmilie:

My thoughts on Pentax as a camera:
I can relate to this. I join a photographt class and I am the only pentax user. first comments wa.. so small like toy...blah blah....good or not...blah blah (typical remarks). All I can say end results my picture no less worst then some one using the famous L lens in my class. In fact some of my works are above par or equally as good aganist higher end branded system. My photography intructor insisted, camera regradless of brand is just a tool. The photographer is the one who make the big different.

My thoughts on marketing Pentax:
I post numerous number of picture on my facebook, freinds had sit up and taken notice. while not deliberately trying to market Pentax. when they ask me what camera I using I say "Toy" camera, next they ask what pice.....I say very cheap.....had converted 5 friends mostly first timer dslr user this way.

Last edited:
I can relate to this. I join a photographt class and I am the only pentax user. first comments wa.. so small like toy...blah blah....good or not...blah blah (typical remarks). All I can say end results my picture no less worst then some one using the famous L lens in my class. In fact some of my works are above par or equally as good aganist higher end branded system. My photography intructor insisted, camera regradless of brand is just a tool. The photographer is the one who make the big different.

I post numerous number of picture on my facebook, freinds had sit up and taken notice. while not deliberately trying to market Pentax. when they ask me what camera I using I say "Toy" camera, next they ask what pice.....I say very cheap.....had converted 5 friends mostly first timer dslr user this way.

Good on you. I too have persuaded friends who want to buy cameras to go for Pentax. One was an old friend, who is now taking over my white K-x and the other a colleague who bought the K20D after she played with mine and then changed to the K7 after I changed to the K7.

Lady boss at MS Color asked me what I did as she went there and asked to play with the C 50D and the P K20D but kept on fiddling the K20D instead of C. hehhe . . . :devil: :devil:

Nice job :thumbsup: And lucky you got a very good instructor :)

Nice job :thumbsup: And lucky you got a very good instructor :)

have also heard of weirdo instructors who are aggressive brand evagelists :bsmilie: a friend of mine joined a class where the instructor was an N user and he ended up kena swan cos he was a C user :bsmilie:

this type of comparison is so pointless... :rolleyes:

have also heard of weirdo instructors who are aggressive brand evagelists :bsmilie: a friend of mine joined a class where the instructor was an N user and he ended up kena swan cos he was a C user :bsmilie:

this type of comparison is so pointless... :rolleyes:

Agree with you - seen one instructor tell all the dslr beginner class students to buy mid level cameras. See a D300 - say "Wow" but when see a Pentax K-x (look at it and then say dare not mention where it is being made). At the end you enjoy your pictures from your camera so why care what other says - especially when your pic quality is on par with the moe expensive "branded" ones.

Agree with you - seen one instructor tell all the dslr beginner class students to buy mid level cameras. See a D300 - say "Wow" but when see a Pentax K-x (look at it and then say dare not mention where it is being made). At the end you enjoy your pictures from your camera so why care what other says - especially when your pic quality is on par with the moe expensive "branded" ones.

What kinda instructor is that? Is he supposed to teach you the basic of photography or is he there to teach you what camera to buy :dunno:

If I come across this kinda instructor I sure turn my head to leave and ask for refund.

Instructor also plays a very big part in this branding thingy. My instructor also advise that brands are not important la, just go out and take pic. But since he is an Oly user which he dumps Canon. I dunno why. Most of my classmate bought an Oly! except me though, Pentax. hahahaha

But watever it is, I still prefer Pentax to be not so popular. I kinda like it.

Btw TS, maybe u were talking about this brand.

http://www.pentex.com/

my instructor quite famous.......he himself is a pentaxian.....
first lesson he see my Kx he give me a strange smile......at that time i dont know why, but then he whip out his K7.....then I know what smile was that.....after that it is like instant bonding between us.......

first lesson he see my Kx he give me a strange smile......at that time i dont know why, but then he whip out his K7.....then I know what smile was that.....after that it is like instant bonding between us.......

haha! this is cool!

Hahaha..."instant bonding between us..." sounds abit brokeback leh. ;p

That will make my day too if the instructor knows the working of major brands, including P.:)
Last year attended a Flash Photography course for DSLR. Unfortunately, the instructor familiar with settings of C&N but not for P. But that's not a problem since the settings for Flash Photography are similar to each other. With of course some trial & error.:)