[Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

Pentax not famous?

In the old film days very few people didn't know Pentax, and K1000 was the most sold and used film camera for photography students. Pentax Takumars are still some of the most favorite lenses by even modern photo hobbyists. And Pentax 50s lenses took three slots among the greatest 50mm lenses ever.

It's only in this digital era most people buy things based on ads or things that pros or celebrities have or use, instead of their own needs. Don't you know whatever you buy from CNS, you are paying for a portion of those big ads in newspapers, tv commercials, street posts or bus ads. Most modern Pentax users bought Pentax because they do their researches before they buy, and they don't follow the crowds. IMO most Pentax users are more mature than the majorities in the same age, which isn't a bad thing.

But this is definitely not good for Pentax brand. Pentax needs more exposure to get more young people to know the brand. Hoya has been doing a lot better in the past year than Pentax did a few years ago, they even opened an Apple/Sony Gallery like Pentax Shop in NY: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/first_american_pentax_shop_opens_in_ny/

But when Pentax become as common as CN, I probably would dump it and go for something else (more interesting but different from the crowds ;)).

And Pentax 50s lenses took three slots among the greatest 50mm lenses ever.

Hey... I got #3... it was a bit run down... someone offered me $25 for it :angry:
I took it a part, clean it up and bring it out now instead of my FA 50mm 1.4

But when Pentax become as common as CN, I probably would dump it and go for something else (more interesting but different from the crowds ;)).

You are not serious are you ? :sweat:

Pentax not famous?

Eh bro can give early heads up when you got firesale for your pentax equipment when the time comes? I will queue outside your house like how people queue for the first gen iPhone man!

Eh bro can give early heads up when you got firesale for your pentax equipment when the time comes? I will queue outside your house like how people queue for the first gen iPhone man!

Count me in . I take Q number 2

lol .

You are not serious are you ? :sweat:

Yes, you bet I am. But I'm sure Pentax won't be as flooded as CN anytime soon :D

Well, actually I'm in the middle of some financial crisis now. Probably have to off load some stuff soon :(

lol .

Like buying an iPhone 4? :bsmilie:

lol .

Aiyoh, you guys still behind time, queue up like buying private property ah, you want good stuff must go to developer direct before launch! Hint! Hint! :bsmilie:
By the time take queue number all snapped up liao...

Aiyoh, you guys still behind time, queue up like buying private property ah, you want good stuff must go to developer direct before launch! Hint! Hint! :bsmilie:
By the time take queue number all snapped up liao...

Ok lah, today after work I just barge into FW house. Address pleaseeeee.................

(Hopefully no one is at home, I'll just carry his whole dry cabinet home)

Ok lah, today after work I just barge into FW house. Address pleaseeeee.................

:bigeyes: how many litres is his dry cabinet?

u'll need help. i help you? :angel: :bsmilie:

:bigeyes: how many litres is his dry cabinet?

u'll need help. i help you? :angel: :bsmilie:

I arrange lorry

What if his dri-cabi is chained to something in the house? How to carry? :devil:

When you post such a question on an otherwise dedicated sub forum, dedicated to a specific brand, you are bound to be hounded by supporters and ultra-brandalists.

Why is Pentax not famous, TS?

That's because unlike the other three big names of DSLR market (Sony is also making strides in their lineup), Pentax eschews marketing, preferring to have word-of-mouth (essentially, free advertising) spread, and focuses instead on creating cameras.

Given that they have a varied background expertise in optics, it's no surprise that the DSLR (or even consumer digital camera) lineup is minute: they have businesses in the medical markets, astronomy and spectacle optics to supplement their income nicely. (Don't forget about their acquisition by Hoya Corporation. A lot of time wasted, but I am a true neutral on this matter.)

Nonetheless, they have a fantastic history of camera-making. They are not a slouch (as illustrated by others, just ask people who use medium-format cameras - the next step after 35mm format DSLR), and given their backwards-compatibility with older lenses (M42 mount is just one of them), they are a cult favorite with photography hobbyists. In short, if you know what you are doing, and you know the science of photography up to intermediate level, then this is a very formidable brand to consider buying.

Now off to CAnon subforum.

What if his dri-cabi is chained to something in the house? How to carry? :devil:

Thanks for helping us to plan the great heist. I think I will contact interested parties via PM to discuss on our plan. Muahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

When you post such a question on an otherwise dedicated sub forum, dedicated to a specific brand, you are bound to be hounded by supporters and ultra-brandalists.

Why is Pentax not famous, TS?

That's because unlike the other three big names of DSLR market (Sony is also making strides in their lineup), Pentax eschews marketing, preferring to have word-of-mouth (essentially, free advertising) spread, and focuses instead on creating cameras.

Given that they have a varied background expertise in optics, it's no surprise that the DSLR (or even consumer digital camera) lineup is minute: they have businesses in the medical markets, astronomy and spectacle optics to supplement their income nicely. (Don't forget about their acquisition by Hoya Corporation. A lot of time wasted, but I am a true neutral on this matter.)

Nonetheless, they have a fantastic history of camera-making. They are not a slouch (as illustrated by others, just ask people who use medium-format cameras - the next step after 35mm format DSLR), and given their backwards-compatibility with older lenses (M42 mount is just one of them), they are a cult favorite with photography hobbyists. In short, if you know what you are doing, and you know the science of photography up to intermediate level, then this is a very formidable brand to consider buying.

Now off to CAnon subforum.

Good perspective :thumbsup:

Same here. The underdog status led me here. Well, that and the K10D winning the 2007(?) TIPA awards. ;p

My loyalty is always up to the lowest bidder, as long as it does what I want/need. ;p

Guess I will be clicking the refresh button on the Pentax BnS section very often... Waiting for FW's magical collection of lenses... Hope to catch some good stuffs... Hehehe... :)

Guess I will be clicking the refresh button on the Pentax BnS section very often... Waiting for FW's magical collection of lenses... Hope to catch some good stuffs... Hehehe... :)

You can start w/ my VL 58/1.4 ;)

FW, where can i get a brand new 1 of ur lens?