[Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

You can start w/ my VL 58/1.4 ;)
I already saw that post 1 hr ago, a few minutes after you posted... LOL... But, I already have my FA50/1.4, and I love it very muchee, it is mounted on my Kx most of the time.... Hahaha... I dunno how to appreciate VL 58/1.4... Paiseh... :sweat: I hv just ordered my tammy 17-50/2.8 from Mr Quek... Some lenses in my wishlist right now is a good UWA (DA12-24/F4) and macro lens (DFA100/2.8 WR) and a good potrait lens (FA77/1.8 Ltd) ... :bsmilie: Hint hint.... ;)

I already saw that post 1 hr ago, a few minutes after you posted... LOL... But, I already have my FA50/1.4, and I love it very muchee, it is mounted on my Kx most of the time.... Hahaha... I dunno how to appreciate VL 58/1.4... Paiseh... :sweat: I hv just ordered my tammy 17-50/2.8 from Mr Quek... Some lenses in my wishlist right now is a good UWA (DA12-24/F4) and macro lens (DFA100/2.8 WR) and a good potrait lens (FA77/1.8 Ltd) ... :bsmilie: Hint hint.... ;)

Wao ... you are on the roll. Don't think he'll be parting his 77mm.

HAHAHA PM him directly hahahahahaha :sweatsm: :sweat:
Hahaha... I stay only one mrt station away from FW... If he is going to have a fire sale, I am quite sure I will be the 1st one queueing at his hse... :bsmilie: ;p

Wao ... you are on the roll. Don't think he'll be parting his 77mm.
Yup, I guess so too... 77/2.8 silver is limited edition... Very nice... But price oso very "nice"... :sweat:

Film user! K7 is already out lar. And many of us are already enjoying it. ;)

;) Sorry typo. A model above the K7, but not full frame yet. I have played with the K7, I know what it is.

wah.. tempting stuff...
but then shallow pocket and inexperience in MF has saved the day! lol

Hahaha... I stay only one mrt station away from FW... If he is going to have a fire sale, I am quite sure I will be the 1st one queueing at his hse... :bsmilie: ;p

tankuku.:bsmilie:
I climb over the condo fence to reach his apatment block for the fire sale.:bsmilie:
...unless he holds it b4 moving to QT.:cry:

I climb over the condo fence to reach his apatment block for the fire sale.:bsmilie:

Hmm, is there anything that I have but you don't have yet? ... :think:

Hmm, is there anything that I have but you don't have yet? ... :think:

You certainly have something I would like to have
That A* that I've mentioned a few times to you before :bsmilie:

The VL is so tempting, I dreamed of this lens the day I knew of it after looking at the photos from chiff cameras; but I bust the bank last month with the 'normal' primes I got. :cry:
(Actually, I think I lusted for the model that chiff used to show off the ability of the lens :think: :bsmilie: )

Hahaha.... How can you bully newbies?? :sticktong There are quite a few pentaxians staying in the West also, riscal, cleonbus, ..... There will be a long Q outside FW hse... Need TP to control the traffic or not?? :D

i'm joining the westside queue when it starts!

Ok lah, today after work I just barge into FW house. Address pleaseeeee.................

(Hopefully no one is at home, I'll just carry his whole dry cabinet home)

:bigeyes: how many litres is his dry cabinet?

u'll need help. i help you? :angel: :bsmilie:

hahaha...I'm very sure both of you only is not enough to move his dry cabinets...:sticktong

Well, actually I'm in the middle of some financial crisis now. Probably have to off load some stuff soon :(

Aiyah just give me your dry cabinet and you won't have to spend $$$$$ to fill it up or spend time to empty it...:sticktong

hahaha...I'm very sure both of you only is not enough to move his dry cabinets...:sticktong

While you guys are discussing the heist, he has already in the process of moving them into a vault!:bsmilie:

Wah OT liao!

Pentax used to be famous in the film era ...
Then they came in very late for digital , that's when they lose out big time ...
Canon and Nikon was moving faster, so they got a good head start plus the old user base ...

- how many new users would buy Pentax
- how many existing users would switch camp
e.g. I am using Nikon now, so even if I know Pentax is good,
why would I change system ? its simply too costly (for me at least)

So Pentax and the other underdogs has to do a lot more to gain market share
e.g. compete on price, which is not a very healthy way ...

Look at how much $ Sony is pumping in for Alpha and only how much market share they gain so far ?

Pentax used to be famous in the film era ...
Then they came in very late for digital , that's when they lose out big time ...
Canon and Nikon was moving faster, so they got a good head start plus the old user base ...

- how many new users would buy Pentax
- how many existing users would switch camp
e.g. I am using Nikon now, so even if I know Pentax is good,
why would I change system ? its simply too costly (for me at least)

So Pentax and the other underdogs has to do a lot more to gain market share
e.g. compete on price, which is not a very healthy way ...

Look at how much $ Sony is pumping in for Alpha and only how much market share they gain so far ?

uncle sweeper,

you make good points, for "new users", i think the issue (especially in singapore) is simply that most people would just ask their friends, relatives, etc.. what to buy. and of course, because of existing user base and advertising, no one has heard of pentax.

for "old users", i don't believe this is a point. for the people who would not switch, i don't think emergence of a new brand would matter much, no matter how tempting. these are usually the people who see a camera as a tool, a means to an end. for this, i am talking about hobbyists.

for the people who would switch, i've seen them drop an entire system, buy a new one, hold it for 3 months, and then switch back to the old one. losing enough money to buy half a new system from scratch in the process. so that's no issue. ;)