Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

Thks for the info Long. Appreciated. Shall drop them an email on my case & follow up frm there.

My front rubber grip cover is a little wrinkled, and looks like it might get worse. Have contacted NSC by email and was informed that it's covered by warranty. Gonna bring it down next week for replacement.

For out of warranty sets, the cost of replacing the rubber grip is $31.05 nett.

If out of warranty, how can it be so expensive !! The Nikon labor cost should be expensive.

Actually you can buy the grip and install your self and it only cost you $4.

http://parts.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/DSLR-Parts/Df-Grip-Unit.html

If out of warranty, how can it be so expensive !! The Nikon labor cost should be expensive.

Actually you can buy the grip and install your self and it only cost you $4.

http://parts.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/DSLR-Parts/Df-Grip-Unit.html

That $4 part is only the back thumb grip, does not include the front grip and front rubber cover.

As I will be bringing my set tomorrow to NSC for the warranty replacement, I will ask them if the out of warranty cost includes replacing both front and back grips as well as the front rubber cover. I will then share that info here.

Just came from NSC this afternoon, had all three rubber parts (except the prism rubber cover) replaced free of charge, including sensor cleaning due to warranty coverage, but this is a one-time benefit only. Subsequent replacement will cost $40.66 nett, even if the set is still within the warranty period.

The service report says the 3 parts are:
-Rubber grip
-Cover sheet (IF)
-Cover sheet

Lucky they were not too busy, so I was able to collect back my cam in less than 1 hour. My set now looks brand new again.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just came from NSC this afternoon, had all three rubber parts (except the prism rubber cover) replaced free of charge, including sensor cleaning due to warranty coverage, but this is a one-time benefit only. Subsequent replacement will cost $40.66 nett, even if the set is still within the warranty period.

-Rubber grip
-Cover sheet (IF)
-Cover sheet

Lucky they were not too busy, so I was able to collect back my cam in less than 1 hour. My set now looks brand new again.:thumbsup:

I just want to say that DIY is always cheaper. If you can get the Df spare part from Nikon Singapore or Nikon Malaysia, it will only cost you < $4 for each part.
Link: http://parts.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/DSLR-Parts/Front-Main-Grip.html

Good luck for your new camera looks, and get Gariz to protect the body ;)

I just want to say that DIY is always cheaper. If you can get the Df spare part from Nikon Singapore or Nikon Malaysia, it will only cost you < $4 for each part.
Link: http://parts.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/DSLR-Parts/Front-Main-Grip.html

Good luck for your new camera looks, and get Gariz to protect the body ;)

Agree 100% with you, no point spending so much once warranty runs out.

Thanks but prefer to keep the cam "naked". The case also adds to the thickness of the body, not so comfortable to hold for me

Any one have issue with your Df with ZF.2 lens on it? I got FEE although the apture is f22.

And I got no issue with ZF 100/2.

Only way to resolve this is to get the little ear near mount down. And put the apture at f22, then it can work as ZF .2 lens. Meaning body can control apture.

My test shot by my Df
$DSC_0121 (1024x682).jpg
f11 1/50sec ISO-7000

$DSC_0100a.jpg
f4 1/4000sec ISO3200 50mm

Is this unofficially the Df image sharing thread? Other Nikon FF bodies seem to have their own 'image sharing' thread here

-Rubber grip
-Cover sheet (IF)
-Cover sheet

Hi

Looks like this long standing Nikon problem has never been resolved.
My old D700's rubber grips (in 3 places on the body) have been replaced several times over the course of the 4 years I've used it. I'm rather surprised the Df has the same issue.

With the D750 priced quite low, and a matching high ISO performance, is the Nikon DF considered a good buy ?

Its silly, but I really like the controls/design of the Nikon Df, and I'm tempted to get it :p

Anyone here has experience with replacing the focusing screen ? (I plan to use my film lens on it)

Buying decision depend whether u should follow your mind or heart :p

Buying decision depend whether u should follow your mind or heart :p

Buying the D810 was following my mind.. now i want to follow my heart.. hahaa. (I will still keep the D810 for more 'hardcore' stuff, its a great camera... but i want something pretty.. haha)

IMO...and please consider this is just my opinion for what it worth...I think the Df is "the" camera to buy. I would not consider anything else Nikon (except for a D4). My reasoning is simple...you are getting a 6000 dollar sensor for less than half the money albeit a few less features that is proven technology, built in Japan so QC is on par, and who cares about rubber grip stuff. I have a net friend who I hold in very high regard as a photographer that just traded in his 750 for another Df...he now has two Df's! He has said he will not buy another camera he has found the only one he will ever need for the rest of his life. Put a magnifier on the viewfinder and you have an awesome piece of equipment.

Just my humble contribution as a non-pro casual shooter. To me the Df is a really handsome camera, and a real joy to use. I have a couple of other cams, but invariably this is the one I would grab whenever I go out to shoot. The image quality is fantastic and 16mpx resolution is more than enough for me, even with cropping. A real attention grabber when I'm out shooting, and a nice conversation piece with friends. Overall the newer D750 is a better camera, but I'm tired of the usual boring DSLR body designs, they're like clones. Photography should not only be a matter of image quality, but also the fun of "bonding" with the camera for a total experience. My guess is that the Df will become a cult classic in the long run, and would probably hold its value longer as well. Also fine jewel for collectors. Having said all these, I would probably not take this on travels to certain countries, a real thief magnet it is.

The sharp and nice 50mm f/1.8G "kit" lens is a real gem on the Df. The SB400 fits proportionally too.
dsc05927-75408541.jpg

The budget zoom Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is a fixture on my Df, as well as is the 50mm above, with nice proportion. Image quality is really not bad at all, and beats carrying around the oversized and really heavy 24-70mm f/2.8.
dsc05948-68390893.jpg

Last edited:
Just my humble contribution as a non-pro casual shooter. To me the Df is a really handsome camera, and a real joy to use. I have a couple of other cams, but invariably this is the one I would grab whenever I go out to shoot. The image quality is fantastic and 16mpx resolution is more than enough for me, even with cropping. A real attention grabber when I'm out shooting, and a nice conversation piece with friends. Overall the newer D750 is a better camera, but I'm tired of the usual boring DSLR body designs, they're like clones. Photography should not only be a matter of image quality, but also the fun of "bonding" with the camera for a total experience. My guess is that the Df will become a cult classic in the long run, and would probably hold its value longer as well. Also fine jewel for collectors. Having said all these, I would probably not take this on travels to certain countries, a real thief magnet it is. The sharp and nice 50mm f/1.8G "kit" lens is a real gem on the Df. The SB400 fits proportionally too. The budget zoom Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is a fixture on my Df, as well as is the 50mm above, with nice proportion. Image quality is really not bad at all, and beats carrying around the oversized and really heavy 24-70mm f/2.8.
Wow! Time to grab another DF(black).... Hehe.

Just my humble contribution as a non-pro casual shooter. To me the Df is a really handsome camera, and a real joy to use. I have a couple of other cams, but invariably this is the one I would grab whenever I go out to shoot. The image quality is fantastic and 16mpx resolution is more than enough for me, even with cropping. A real attention grabber when I'm out shooting, and a nice conversation piece with friends. Overall the newer D750 is a better camera, but I'm tired of the usual boring DSLR body designs, they're like clones. Photography should not only be a matter of image quality, but also the fun of "bonding" with the camera for a total experience. My guess is that the Df will become a cult classic in the long run, and would probably hold its value longer as well. Also fine jewel for collectors. Having said all these, I would probably not take this on travels to certain countries, a real thief magnet it is.

The sharp and nice 50mm f/1.8G "kit" lens is a real gem on the Df. The SB400 fits proportionally too.
dsc05927-75408541.jpg

The budget zoom Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is a fixture on my Df, as well as is the 50mm above, with nice proportion. Image quality is really not bad at all, and beats carrying around the oversized and really heavy 24-70mm f/2.8.
dsc05948-68390893.jpg

Interesting write-up, and I support every bit of this - since I have the same silver Df, 50/1.8SE, but I use the non-VR 24-85, along with other lenses (most recently 70-200/4VR), but no SB (looking to buy one, SB800 and SB900 rather large to bring around). I found it a joy to use and also the most grabbed camera... for underwater use I have to continue with my D800 for no other reason than the cost of replacing the housing...