Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

...for underwater use I have to continue with my D800 for no other reason than the cost of replacing the housing...
That is an interesting thought...maybe the king of low light would also be the king of underwater??? Come to think of it the Df sort of resembles an old Nikonos sort of... :D

Last edited:
I haven't seen a housing for the Df. Think it is due to: limited appeal, and difficulty engineering the housing to fit the dials.

IMO...and please consider this is just my opinion for what it worth...I think the Df is "the" camera to buy. I would not consider anything else Nikon (except for a D4). My reasoning is simple...you are getting a 6000 dollar sensor for less than half the money albeit a few less features that is proven technology, built in Japan so QC is on par, and who cares about rubber grip stuff. I have a net friend who I hold in very high regard as a photographer that just traded in his 750 for another Df...he now has two Df's! He has said he will not buy another camera he has found the only one he will ever need for the rest of his life. Put a magnifier on the viewfinder and you have an awesome piece of equipment.

I bit the bullet and bought a new Silver Df today... it looks and feels great in my hands. I love how the strap hooks on the front of the camera and (with a small prime) it balances fine when slung. (My d810 tends to just plop lens downwards) Its going to take awhile to get use to the controls though.

I put my DK-17M on it, and the OVF is now the correct size for me. It does vignette a bit, and I gotta position my eye quite accurately to get a good view though. Its good enuf to manual focus on my older AI-S lens. Already ordered a K3 focusing screen for it, can't wait ! It will replace my FM3a as my walk about camera soon !

One irritating thing I cant seem to disable... the back LCD lights up when i hold down the FN button to control auto ISO (I programmed it to be my AUTO-ISO select button). Anyone knows which menu option disables that ? The glare from beneath the eye piece does distract me.

SB800 is huge on the Df.. might consider the SB400 or SB500 for something more portable (just for fill in flash)

I bit the bullet and bought a new Silver Df today... it looks and feels great in my hands. I love how the strap hooks on the front of the camera and (with a small prime) it balances fine when slung. (My d810 tends to just plop lens downwards) Its going to take awhile to get use to the controls though. I put my DK-17M on it, and the OVF is now the correct size for me. It does vignette a bit, and I gotta position my eye quite accurately to get a good view though. Its good enuf to manual focus on my older AI-S lens. Already ordered a K3 focusing screen for it, can't wait ! It will replace my FM3a as my walk about camera soon ! One irritating thing I cant seem to disable... the back LCD lights up when i hold down the FN button to control auto ISO (I programmed it to be my AUTO-ISO select button). Anyone knows which menu option disables that ? The glare from beneath the eye piece does distract me. SB800 is huge on the Df.. might consider the SB400 or SB500 for something more portable (just for fill in flash)
Welcome to DF club, enjoy the cam.
Don't reserved too much for ISO, just use as needed. I'm also using sb800 on DF as I seldom use flash on DF.
SB500 should be a good choice but that will cost $3XX. Note that sb500 stays at 24mm, meaning you don't get to "concentrate" power if u r using 85mm lens on your subject.

Looking forward to your images alfie! Particularly the ones made with AI-S lenses.

Interesting grip... unfortunately my trip to Tokyo ends on 27 Jan... can't buy one this month...

$main_01.jpg

$pic_01.jpg

Df用グリップ DF-GR1 New
2015年2月5日発売予定

Last edited:
Just wondering if the grip is really needed or good to have since the existing grip seems quite sufficient for average users?

Just wondering if the grip is really needed or good to have since the existing grip seems quite sufficient for average users?

I think probably just needed if you attach a bigger/heavier lens (e.g. 24-70) on the camera.

Might as well just get the Gariz version. Most likely cheaper too.

I'm using optech envy strap.
Affordable, thin and comfortable.
http://optechusa.com/straps/envy-strap.html

I love the optech system. I'm using same one for my D810, and i have the clips on my backpack so i can clip the camera on my bag to go handsfree (it distributes the load quite nicely)

Affordable and effective system.

With a camera this beautiful, only an A&A ACAM-306 will do ~ http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/products_details.php?id=228

:p
Are there shops here that carry this? Perhaps that one on the ground floor in Funan next to Subway. There is a distributor for SG so probably there are shops that do. I would really like to test how this material feels.
Won't this cut into your shoulder/neck after a few hours?

I'm using optech envy strap.
Affordable, thin and comfortable.
http://optechusa.com/straps/envy-strap.html

I love the optech system. I'm using same one for my D810, and i have the clips on my backpack so i can clip the camera on my bag to go handsfree (it distributes the load quite nicely)

Affordable and effective system.

From online reviews, I prefer those straps that can lock into a smaller circle and has a quick-draw mechanism when you unlock it into its full length. I've seen BlackRapid and Joby do this but when I actually saw the straps (in TK Foto), I'm having doubts on whether I should trust any strap that has plastic side-clasp fasteners. I notice most regular straps (OpTech, BR, Joby, CustomSLR) also come with those plastic 'buckles'.

Hoping other Df owners will also chime in their straps here.

Are there shops here that carry this? Perhaps that one on the ground floor in Funan next to Subway. There is a distributor for SG so probably there are shops that do. I would really like to test how this material feels. Won't this cut into your shoulder/neck after a few hours? From online reviews, I prefer those straps that can lock into a smaller circle and has a quick-draw mechanism when you unlock it into its full length. I've seen BlackRapid and Joby do this but when I actually saw the straps (in TK Foto), I'm having doubts on whether I should trust any strap that has plastic side-clasp fasteners. I notice most regular straps (OpTech, BR, Joby, CustomSLR) also come with those plastic 'buckles'. Hoping other Df owners will also chime in their straps here.

Using an Eddycam strap bought from Lumen for my DF now. Very expensive but totally worth every cent.

The DF is very "attract-thief", so I disguised it.

original.jpg