Nikon d40 for taking night shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

roslee7

Nov 28, 2008
i had recently bought nikon d40 and loving it so much. I have a question? how do i take a picture in the night with a person and the background? and example inside the flyer, if i wanna use normal camera, the person will be clear but dark background. I wanna take her photo standing near the mirror and can see the background of marina bright and clear...just example. Do i need a tripod?

Try this :

For hand held shot,
Set D40 dial to M mode ( Manual exposure )
Set ISO to 800
Set Aperture to the largest ( e.g f/3.5 )
Set exposure to 1/30 sec.
Pop up the build in flash and shoot.

If you have tripod, better still
Set D40 dial to M mode ( Manual exposure )
Set ISO to 800
Set Aperture to the largest ( e.g f/3.5 )
Set exposure to 1/2 sec.
Pop up the build in flash.

Ask your model to keep as still as possible, then shoot.

in places like inside the flyer it might be trickier cos of the glass element..

duno if this works or not. you can try using the method BUZ BUZ proposed and make sure the that pop up flash get bounced onto whatever ceiling space it has. cos if it fill in right front, the glass may catch it and you get no background. maybe use a mirror or ipod to bounce off.

can give it a try..

As a matter of fact, I always recommend my pax to take the flyer in the day, around mid-day the best for photography. ( Coz they are just tourist using Hphone or P n S cameras )

Still thinking how to get around shooting nite scenery from the flyer.Haven't got to see anyone post here yet. Got to do a series of test to find the correct shutter speed to neutalize the revolving movement. Perhaps the only right time will be 7.15 pm.
One complete turn is 29 min, so reaching the top takes about 15 min. So board the capsule at 7.00 sharp would be about right.

I don't know whether the f/3.5 aperture as recommended would give enough depth for the marina barrage to be bright and clear plus your human subject inside the capsule. Btw, what lenses, wasn't specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.