Nikon Autofocus set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltma

Jul 20, 2004
Singapore
I like to hear from Nikon users especially the D300, D700 or D3 DSLR owners on your recent experience in shooting continuous mode during Singapore Formula One GP. I like to learn what focus setting worked best for you. For example, do you get better results in using focus tracking with 3D set-up with 51 points, or leave it to complete auto, etc, etc.

For me I shoot with D300 using autofocus tracking mode. I have not completed processing all the pictures I took during the race, but so far my "keeper' is only about 5-10% the most (i.e. 5-10 reasonable pictures out of 100), mostly because the pictures are blur or not sharp. Most of the pictures were taken at 1/125 to 1/250 using 70-200 and 200-400 mm lens - panning.

Look forward to comments.... Thanks

why not u share some photos for us to discuss upon?

To get really good panning shots are not so easy.

as for normal shots, i was quite please to get about 85% success rate on the focusing.
I've used AF-C (obviously) and I gotta say that the AF system works really wonders with colour AF tracking as well. very good! :thumbsup:

I was using a Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

Had two different setups.
1)From the Suite, so i could shoot OVER the stupid fence.
Got pretty good pictures from this.

-Using a D300, so i had AF set to C, with 51 point 3D tracking.
-Shutter Priority mode. Usually set to 1/250 to 1/500.
-ISO to auto, but max allowed is 3200.
-WB Auto.
-Exposure Auto.
-No tripod, not allowed, so i stood up on the chair and panned with the cars.
-VR on.

Here is one of the better pics from this setting.
263h6e0.jpg

2) From the grand stand. (1st row)
Did not have the proper lens, thus my shots include the fence.
Could not use AF as it focuses on the lens, and not the car, so i had to use FULL manual.
-Manual Mode
-Shutter speed was always set between 1/500 to 1/800.
-Aperture was around 3.5 to 5.0 max.
-ISO 2,500
-VR On

e6do49.jpg

If you read the manual, AF-S will track the subject if the subject is moving, when the shutter-release button is half pressed.
So when i pan, i was using AF-S for most of the time. I tried AF-C for fun. Not much difference. Plus, under AF-S mode, you can shoot when the subject is focused. Saves the trouble of getting unfocused shots with AF-C.

1/125-1/250s should be more than enough for panning. I remember i was using 1/60-1/80s. If it is blur, maybe your panning technique needs to be refined, or maybe the AF is fooled by the fence.

Best is to show us some pics that you have.

What about the AF setting on whether single, dynamic or closest subject? Does this make any difference when taking shots of fast moving objects?

Had two different setups.
1)From the Suite, so i could shoot OVER the stupid fence.

Sorry for the OT.

The stupid fence is not there for no reason. In the event of a high speed crash, debrises can fly in all directions and in high speed. It would be unimagine for the flying debrises to cut through someone's throat and blood splurting all around nor is it cool to have them piercing through someone's eyeball.

Why then is the fence designed so high? It took many unfortunate accidents to happen for the fence to reach this height so that the spectators' safety is not compromise. We, therefore are "enjoying" this safety feature, at the expenses of others' life and injuries.

I'm sorry for my insensitive comment bro. :embrass:

I'm not sure about you, but i have a habit of using the word "STUPID" as a figure of speech, thus not necessarily insulting the intended purpose of the fence, but mainly to show my disappointment in how my photos turned out because of them.

Thanks for your input though.

BTW:
For your information :) You have a couple of mistakes in you use of words/grammar.

1) It would be unimagine for the flying debrises.

2) It would be unimagine for the flying debrises....

3)... Splurting all around nor is it cool to have them piercing through someone's eyeball.

1) There is no plural term for the word "DEBRIS"

2) There is NO such word as: "Unimagine". I think you probably meant: "Unimaginable".

3) Wrong use of the word "Splurting". The right word to use is "SPURTING".

Just thought that since you seemed so sensitive about my unconscious/unintentional use of the word: "stupid" in describing the fence, i thought a person like you would be more careful in the way you phrase your sentences.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
I apologise for my poor English.

I'm not faulting you in particular. I understand the frustrations of many others who has got their view blocked by the fence. I just thought that I ought to make known how important the fences are.

Many photographers often disregard their own safety for the sake of "that" photo. Other than Pro-sports photographer, I often see many standing on the wrong side or a dangerous one as it often gives the best view.

Anyway, this only serves as a cautionary note to all fellow photographers when doing sports photography.

Cheers and Peace

Last edited:
Hahah, now that you put it that way, i understand your concern. In fact, while walking to the main entrance of the F1 gate, there were actually people climbing up fences, and some cars had actually stopped on the road shoulder along the flyover of the ECP. :dunno:

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Have a great weekend.

What an OT from supernikon and Lmodel :nono:

What about the AF setting on whether single, dynamic or closest subject? Does this make any difference when taking shots of fast moving objects?
Yes it does. The 3 types of AF settings are meant to "help" your AF to decide on your subject better. But it will not affect AF speed.
Closest subject is the easiest to understand. As the name suggests. If the F1 car is not the closest thing to you. Forget about it. I reckon your cam will focus on the fence instead.

Single point AF will focus only on the selected AF point.

In dynamic, you will select 1 primary AF point, but if your subject moves, other nearby AF points will be used to ensure the subject is still focused.

In the case of F1, I find dynamic more helpful, especially in panning, just in case your subject moves out of the selected AF point.

Status
Not open for further replies.