Nikon announced new mirrorless cameras - J1 and V1

I dont see anything impressive on their mirrorless cameras. nothing at all. Although I appreciate the fact that they do not try to squeeze more than 10 megapixels into that tiny sensor.

At this point I still think Oly and Panasonic are way more appealing.

If Nikon is only as smart as we are, then they won't be where they are today.

If they have listened to the smart customers' advice, then surely they will be far further ahead of their competitors today. :)

So is it SLT? :p

Hmm i dont think it has any AF sensors on it ? But Since the camera can do on-sensor PDAF , maybe thats how it can AF with AFS lens.

Taking a step back, I would have buy into the system , if I have Nikon Setup, would be fun to play and use with. Esp with the built in EVF.

For existing mirrorless users with no intentions to use Nikon lens on their mirrorless camera, perhaps the appeal isnt that strong for them to switch system.

Image quality wise, definitely will be decent. I guess, there isnt really a camera nowadays that produces below par images. The litmus test would be, how much better will it be compared to a high end PnS ? The high iso performance again will be another indicator that buyers tends to be concern with nowadays as well.

If they have listened to the smart customers' advice, then surely they will be far further ahead of their competitors today. :)
agree. they are too conservative. I still remember when Canon first launch DSLRs, Nikon was (speculated) still observing the market and far more behind than a lot of companies. Nevertheless, over the years, Nikon has taken over their shares in DSLR market. I wonder is it because of their strategy or they always "finally" realize what went wrong. However, some companies which were making much more better have been taken by other companies as well e.g.: konica & minolta.

Last edited:
I think its more for emerging market as a lifestyle product. Its the smallest possible interchangeable lens camera form factor that can exist so far. Its sure to draw some low end dslr crowd over. The lens adaptor adds value to existing owner so I doubt new owners will get a pro lens to match it.

I just saw from TODAY that RRP will be priced just below 1.5k (I am assuming should be the J1)? Street prices might be between 1.3 to 1.4k which is still ex unless it is significantly better than the EP3.

Last edited:
I would says 2.7 crop is great!!
300F4 becomes 810F4!!!
Why not...
Oh yah...forgot to put in TC1.4 = 1134!!!
My DX can give me 630 only...
Here I come...birdie...

Last edited:
I would says 2.7 crop is great!!
300F4 becomes 810F4!!!
Why not...

Only for those who needs long range like birding and moon shots. PentaxQ has even bigger crop , so maybe those who needs Birding , the Q could be more attractive.

Only for those who needs long range like birding and moon shots. PentaxQ has even bigger crop , so maybe those who needs Birding , the Q could be more attractive.

You are right man...for birds shots...
Don't think any SLR lens able to fit in for WA. Correct me if I'm wrong.

agree. they are too conservative. I still remember when Canon first launch DSLRs, Nikon was (speculated) still observing the market and far more behind than a lot of companies. Nevertheless, over the years, Nikon has taken over their shares in DSLR market. I wonder is it because of their strategy or they always "finally" realize what went wrong. However, some companies which were making much more better have been taken by other companies as well e.g.: konica & minolta.

Konica Minolta came crashing after losing millions of money over patents to Honeywell over the autofocus technology patents, they never recovered from that litigation hit.

I guess in todays environment, business can go away quickly if it cannot keep up with competition. Doesnt matter if its a brand with long history. The brand of a business is a selling proposition and a value that consumers associated it. The true brilliance of the brand, are the people and business decision makers behind it.

Partially.

The APSC sensors of today can match or even beat the quality of FF of yesteryears. So it more of how it is being designed and fabricated.

u are wrong.... try a FX and compare with DX.. even in ISO100 u can see a difference.. unless yr eyes...

Omega23 said:
u are wrong.... try a FX and compare with DX.. even in ISO100 u can see a difference.. unless yr eyes...

+1
Try to compete at iso 3200 and beyond, and that's just the tip of the iceberg of advantages.

Just took a quick look at some of the official samples... I'm not terribly impressed either. ISO 3200 is like water colour painting... For the price, I expected a bit more.

the camera matters less than the photographer

so the only thing i am waiting for is how fun will this camera be
if i buy it, i would not want to use it with my f mount lenses, totally defeats the purpose of being small

disappointed that it does not have a hotshoe for my flashes
the accessory port concept is limiting

it does have some interesting features
still wait and see before making any decisions
right now i have 2 advance P&S cameras, can the images from this outperform them?

Don't waste time and money on these paper weights.

I am not sure why some are excited about the crop. Isn't having a bigger sensor and cropping it yourself better than the tiny crop sensor? :dunno:

Deathegg said:
I am not sure why some are excited about the crop. Isn't having a bigger sensor and cropping it yourself better than the tiny crop sensor? :dunno:

They want us to be happy that nikon has finally a mirrorless camera... But they can't make it more exciting....

Cry cry, when is our D800 coming :(

its a properly position product with no overlapping. having said that, Nikon, unlike other competitors already have a comprehensive range of camera products to cover for all consumers. for me, its another product, much like having another colorful iphone.

i do remember seeing a built in flash, at least on the J1

yeah...newer videos today did show th J1 has one. But I think the V1 does not as they offer a hotshoes to mount an external flash instead. :)