Nikon announced new mirrorless cameras - J1 and V1

agree. they are too conservative. I still remember when Canon first launch DSLRs, Nikon was (speculated) still observing the market and far more behind than a lot of companies. Nevertheless, over the years, Nikon has taken over their shares in DSLR market. I wonder is it because of their strategy or they always "finally" realize what went wrong. However, some companies which were making much more better have been taken by other companies as well e.g.: konica & minolta.

now its Canon who is being conservative... they are still doing a "wait and see" before launching their (rumored) mirrorless system (if they do launch it at all anytime soon). Nikon is faster for this one.

I'd say that from the IQ of the pictures posted by Nikon, these 2.7 crop Nikons are going to give M43 a run for their money. Remember that most M43 being released today e.g., GF3 are still using a sensor from years ago. Nikon should have an advantage over Sony in producing high quality lenses.

Panasonic G3 and GH2 have still cutting edge sensors in m4/3. GH2 has multiaspect sensor for 1:1 3:2 4:3 16:9 for minimal loss of mpx.

The body and lenses feel well-built and quite hefty in hand. The matte texture also feels nice but the grip (or stripe) doesn't offer any confidence in using it with one hand, given the weight. Also, having the exposure mode within the menu and not directly accessible via the mode dial seems pretty stupid. Turning the lens will automatically switch on the camera seems pretty nifty.

Panasonic G3 and GH2 have still cutting edge sensors in m4/3. GH2 has multiaspect sensor for 1:1 3:2 4:3 16:9 for minimal loss of mpx.

The sensors in the G3 and GH2 are quite good, but "cutting edge" may be a stretch. Panasonic's strategy is baffling. If they have a new sensor, why not put it in all their new cameras. With the G3, I fail to see the need for the GH2 at all just a few months after it's launch. The only reason I would use a Panny is for video....

I just saw from TODAY that RRP will be priced just below 1.5k (I am assuming should be the J1)? Street prices might be between 1.3 to 1.4k which is still ex unless it is significantly better than the EP3.

Can also add the Sony Nex series into the mix if the Nikon selling price is as predicted.

tsammyc said:
The sensors in the G3 and GH2 are quite good, but "cutting edge" may be a stretch. Panasonic's strategy is baffling. If they have a new sensor, why not put it in all their new cameras. With the G3, I fail to see the need for the GH2 at all just a few months after it's launch. The only reason I would use a Panny is for video....

Cutting edge sensor with respect to m4/3. Of course Sony aps c sensors are better atnthis point in time wrt higher iso and dr..

Just notice that the LCD of J1 and V1 is not touched-screen and swiveled like Sony NEX-5N ...

With such as small body, I hoped that Nikon would use a touch-screen LCD. :devil:

With hardly any advanced controls I think this camera is meant the very simple P&S crowd.

It's still way overpriced for a sensor that is still half the size of m43 and way smaller than APS-C.

I think Samsung's NX, Sony NEX and the Panolympus m43 ranges are way better value for money!

With hardly any advanced controls I think this camera is meant the very simple P&S crowd.

It's still way overpriced for a sensor that is still half the size of m43 and way smaller than APS-C.

I think Samsung's NX, Sony NEX and the Panolympus m43 ranges are way better value for money!

Mirrorless camera like these ARE design for the simple P&S crowd, same as Nex, GF and Pen series.

Nex, GF are far better than them!!!

The Nex 7 has a lot of controls, I'm smitten by it but not the Nikon 1.

Hmm. To me, touch screens are not so great in many conditions, condensation, cold weather, fingers in gloves etc. I still prefer buttons and dials.

Think this time round Nikon is target those crowd who wants DSLR quality with simple P&S control.

Imaging Resource has just posted their lab shots of the Nikon J1. You can bring the full size image up and compare them to the review of the 5N, which has comparisons with the EP3, GF3, G3, NX100, C3 (wine bottle, red fabric and wine label) and come to your own conclusions.

After all the criticism of the Nikon 1 Series, I think most people will be surprised....

IMHO, it's a match to EP3 and GF3 at ISO1600

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NIKONJ1/NIKONJ1A7.HTM

I used Imaging Resource Comparometer and did screen captures. Here is the screen capture off the comparometer at ISO 1600. The GF3 is on the left and the J1 on the right. The GF3 is a 12MP image vs a 10MP image for the J1.

6184356178_075a11a993_o.jpg

Here is the EP3 vs the J1
6184393068_f2a9cdbfdf_o.jpg

As the images seem to be scaled by the forum software, here is a link to the originals

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6184356178_075a11a993_o.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6184393068_f2a9cdbfdf_o.jpg