Nikon announced new mirrorless cameras - J1 and V1

2.7x crop factor! I am very disappointed about Nikon. :thumbsd:
Who buy the lens? It will no body want if the maket don't accept this 2.7x! :cry:

Quick quess will be local RRP of $1099 and $1499 basing on USD $649.95 and USD $899.95.

Is the FT1 an SLT design? Or a flip-mirror? Or is it just a glorified extension tube?

Read that it can do AF with Nikon AFS lens. So cant be an extension tube .

More entrants into EVIL segment, more competition and drive prices down. Good for all consumers =)

This is Nikon 1, 1948.
Nikon1mdm.jpg

2.7x crop factor! I am very disappointed about Nikon. :thumbsd:
Who buy the lens? It will no body want if the maket don't accept this 2.7x! :cry:

to be fair, dats wat they said abt m4/3 too... guess how they turn out?

a camera is a just a camera. i'm more interested to see some good lenses to go with it.

27mm f2.8 + V1 will be my new street photography buddy.

I dun understand the point of having a tiny body on a huge lens. The comfortable hand ergonomics, super clear view are gone.

But of course, if the tracking, shutter lag, focus all all other performance are on par with a small SLR, then it could be well received by consumer.

Well, it doesn't matter whether there's any point in using any marketing strategy. As long as consumers want it, it will be profitable for them to do it. Apparently, the small cameras with the ability to change lenses are appealing to consumers now so why not? I mean, most of the consumers getting these EVIL cameras may not even know what 'awesome ergonomics of DSLR' is because they might have not touched one before.

Some initial thoughts (feel free to agree/disagree):

1) Small footprint, that is even with a built in EVF
2) Compatibility with existing Nikon lenses (although handling will be disproportionate)
3) Multi-function accessory port (the accessory combinations are pretty interesting) - although can't fit existing Speedlights?
4) Performance on paper looks good (et al AF speed, 1080 video shooting modes, etc)

Cons
1) No manual shooting modes (APSM) modes, seems like a souped up PnS
2) Button layout a little too minimalistic for my liking, would prefer more buttons for easy accessibility
3) Seems pricey in relation to competing alternatives

Might still go with m4/3 after all...

Read that it can do AF with Nikon AFS lens. So cant be an extension tube .

More entrants into EVIL segment, more competition and drive prices down. Good for all consumers =)

So is it SLT? :p

I think this is total waste of time.... from my experience m4/3 cameras can’t produce any good details beyond ISO400, how on earth this smaller sensor camera can produce anything better?

Last edited:
i think the fuji x10 looks more exciting even though the j1/v1 might produce technically better pics at higher iso.

Underwhelming.

mm...doesn't it bother anyone it has no built-in flash and the external flash accessory is humoungous which defeats the purpose of having a small body?
The Sony NEX has a larger sensor and a very nice small external flash design. Also, no sensor-shift for anti-vibration ? They boosted some specs but really skimped on the rest...Too bad as the camera looks quite nice actually.

There is Manual exposure modes (P,S,A,M) on both the V1 and J1.