NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR - Official Thread

Maybe now it is more obvious why not everyone can open up a shopfront and start selling cameras the next day. LOL 200 P&S to get one D4 to sell is....best left to the big boys.

Look at the bright side. When those P&S turn obsolete, Singapore River is 5 mins walk away.

Look at the bright side. When those P&S turn obsolete, Singapore River is 5 mins walk away.

Haha.. maybe that's why gear is priced so high. Not only do they have to earn a cut, they have to account for the cost of these P&S units. Cant imagine them being able to sell that many P&S - no one seems to buy them anymore.

Courts online advertised it

An unker told me one of the usual outlets in the Funan area has to draw stock or sell four P&S Nikon cameras in order to get one piece of this from their supplier.

Please take it with a pinch of salt. :)

If this is really true, and shops don't and can't take stock, folks will be forced to get it overseas. I really hope Nikon SG reads this.

If this is really true, and shops don't and can't take stock, folks will be forced to get it overseas. I really hope Nikon SG reads this.

Supplier seems to have very limited stock (Though I know a few pieces have recently been sent out for reviews. It seems like thats even some price control for the Nikon 300mm F/4 PF. My regular shop had a hard time requesting a piece. Previous piece MS Color grabbed very fast.

Just got my piece today, and must say the weight on this guy is amazing, with the D7200 its only 1.5kg. So far the image quality matches the previous 300mm f4 easily, and the VR really helps a lot. The filter thread is a 77mm but the filter sits very inwards, (lens barrel is a lot larger then 77mm) a very bad idea to put a CPL on this lens as it will be a total pain to remove !

Can't wait for the weekend to try it out !

Supplier seems to have very limited stock (Though I know a few pieces have recently been sent out for reviews. It seems like thats even some price control for the Nikon 300mm F/4 PF. My regular shop had a hard time requesting a piece. Previous piece MS Color grabbed very fast.

Just got my piece today, and must say the weight on this guy is amazing, with the D7200 its only 1.5kg. So far the image quality matches the previous 300mm f4 easily, and the VR really helps a lot. The filter thread is a 77mm but the filter sits very inwards, (lens barrel is a lot larger then 77mm) a very bad idea to put a CPL on this lens as it will be a total pain to remove !

Can't wait for the weekend to try it out !

Please post your "in use" thoughts soon.... This lens is on my list but in a few more months.... waiting to see more real world in use reports.

Went to the park behind my office to shoot a bit of the 300pf with my D7200. I would say the first day experience has been good. I didn't experience at VR issue (Note the VR issue has been said to only happen on some cameras, I will be bringing out the D810 tomorrow to try to get it to happen) The lens is well balanced with the D7200 and handheld shots of 1/20sec is easy even on crop factor, with 1/10sec possible with good arm/body support. The VR is one of the better ones I've used. (70-200/2.8vr2, 24-120vr, 16-35vr) This lens is a joy to use for birding compared to the tamron 150-600 and recently sigma 150-600sport.

I have not seen any of the flare issues with PF yet, but i suspect i have to be shooting at night with large spot lights to see it. Having said that, the lack of CA is a huge bonus here. Shooting wide open, into the sky with branches and leaves, I didn't notice any visible CA. (See last pic below)

Some sample sooc jpg with minor cropping. Last three will give a bit of sample of the out of focus area (bokeh)

Thanks for sharing. The shots are quite pleasing. Quite a decent amount of detail when I opened it up in Flickr.

Did you find the 450mm equivalent focal length limiting?

Thanks for sharing. The shots are quite pleasing. Quite a decent amount of detail when I opened it up in Flickr.

Did you find the 450mm equivalent focal length limiting?

The d7200 is a good camera, but doesn't have as much details in tricky light situations. Having shot the sigma 150-600s with both cameras, i know the d810 gives better details especially in the highlight/shadow areas.

What do you mean by limiting ? To me, 300~450mm is just nice as a walk about birding lens. No tripod, lots of agility/stealth to move in closer and get lower. With a minimum focusing distance of 1.5m, you get a 1:4 magnification which would be fun to use with larger insects/butterflies too even. Anything shorter in focal length, my Nikon 200mm f/4 micro will do a better job (That lens is sharp sharp sharp, just bit slow and short). Anything longer in focal length hits the issue of a longer min focusing distance.

The d7200 is a good camera, but doesn't have as much details in tricky light situations. Having shot the sigma 150-600s with both cameras, i know the d810 gives better details especially in the highlight/shadow areas.

What do you mean by limiting ? To me, 300~450mm is just nice as a walk about birding lens. No tripod, lots of agility/stealth to move in closer and get lower. With a minimum focusing distance of 1.5m, you get a 1:4 magnification which would be fun to use with larger insects/butterflies too even. Anything shorter in focal length, my Nikon 200mm f/4 micro will do a better job (That lens is sharp sharp sharp, just bit slow and short). Anything longer in focal length hits the issue of a longer min focusing distance.

Fair point sir - the part on no tripod, agility/stealth to move in closer. My lack of skill shows up when I attempt to move with my tripod and Tamron 150-600 closer to the target.

Similar to your sentiments on the D7200, my a77ii gives me good reach with the 150-600 but I'm hoping to get an alternative to pair with my D750 so that I can continue shooting even in early morning/late afternoon lower light situations. Hence I've been looking at Nikon telephoto options of late.

Fair point sir - the part on no tripod, agility/stealth to move in closer. My lack of skill shows up when I attempt to move with my tripod and Tamron 150-600 closer to the target.

Similar to your sentiments on the D7200, my a77ii gives me good reach with the 150-600 but I'm hoping to get an alternative to pair with my D750 so that I can continue shooting even in early morning/late afternoon lower light situations. Hence I've been looking at Nikon telephoto options of late.

Its not your lack of skills, the tamron/sigma 150-600 on a tripod is bulky.. shifting the tripod to a lower position is tricky too. I use a monopod with these lens, a lot more mobile. But you have to get a longer plate to balance on a tilt head,etc. I used to use the tamron 150-600 handheld.. but with the sigma 150-600 sports, its a monopod..

It goes into shooting styles too. When i went into nature/bird shooting i realised i liked the walking and exploring. I can't imagine myself sitting in a location with a tripod/gymbal/big lens waiting for that perfect shot. (okay, maybe when i get older.. hahaha.)

So yeah, the updated 300mm f4 PF with (very good) VR makes a perfect walk about nature lens. I'll reserve final judgement on which camera (d7200 or d810) I will pair it with. Need to do more challenging late evening shots, etc.

Its not your lack of skills, the tamron/sigma 150-600 on a tripod is bulky.. shifting the tripod to a lower position is tricky too. I use a monopod with these lens, a lot more mobile. But you have to get a longer plate to balance on a tilt head,etc. I used to use the tamron 150-600 handheld.. but with the sigma 150-600 sports, its a monopod..

It goes into shooting styles too. When i went into nature/bird shooting i realised i liked the walking and exploring. I can't imagine myself sitting in a location with a tripod/gymbal/big lens waiting for that perfect shot. (okay, maybe when i get older.. hahaha.)

So yeah, the updated 300mm f4 PF with (very good) VR makes a perfect walk about nature lens. I'll reserve final judgement on which camera (d7200 or d810) I will pair it with. Need to do more challenging late evening shots, etc.

Thanks in advance...I'm lookin fwd to tt.

I've been shooting today with the D810 with the 300mmm F/4 PF at low shutter speeds handheld with VR on (normal). I've been doing from 1/10 ~ 1/150sec and yet to witness the double image issue. I might not be trying hard enough, will keep trying..

Anyway, here's some possible examples of the PF (Phase Fresnel) flare effect.. (Flare always happens with bright spots of light, its just that the PF lens element creates a unique kind of '2 step' flaring, instead of a single bright ball. Honestly, it doesn't really affect me much, a flare is a flare, and I wouldn't shoot anything with such a large flare. Smaller spots of lights don't have that effect, and its only flare of a certain mid range brightness..

If anyone has a particular scene they want me to test, just drop me a PM or comment here, and I'll see what I can come up with :)

In focus flare, this was the worst shot i got where all the headlights were flaring.

Bokeh flaring.. note the one on the lower right that flared instead of bokehing... (Shot taken handheld 1/60!)

Seems like there is gg to be a firmware update from Nikon.

Source: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64211

Yup ! My serial number is one of the affected ones, but its going to be hard to tear this lens away from me ! haha.. but i guess its good news that there will be more stock of 300mm pf coming in.

-- Nikon Advisory --

Nikon will offer a service for updating AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR firmware. Details of this firmware service are as follows.

Firmware update details
We have confirmed that when the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens is used with the D800, D800E or D810, images captured at shutter speeds of around 1/125 s with the VR function enabled (NORMAL or SPORT) sometimes exhibit noticeable blur.
To reduce the occurrence of this, we will offer a service for updating your AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR firmware.
When cameras other than the D800, D800E or D810 are used, this firmware update is not needed.

Updating lens firmware
Users of the D800, D800E, or D810 who are concerned about this issue may take or send their lens to an Nikon Service Centre, where your lens firmware will be updated free of charge.

Identifying lenses with which the firmware has already been updated
Firmware for lenses with a serial number of 205101 or later have already been updated.

*Depending upon the way the camera is held when shooting, or the shooting conditions, images may be blurred even after this lens firmware is updated.

Yup ! My serial number is one of the affected ones, but its going to be hard to tear this lens away from me ! haha.. but i guess its good news that there will be more stock of 300mm pf coming in.

-- Nikon Advisory --

Nikon will offer a service for updating AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR firmware. Details of this firmware service are as follows.

Firmware update details
We have confirmed that when the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens is used with the D800, D800E or D810, images captured at shutter speeds of around 1/125 s with the VR function enabled (NORMAL or SPORT) sometimes exhibit noticeable blur.
To reduce the occurrence of this, we will offer a service for updating your AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR firmware.
When cameras other than the D800, D800E or D810 are used, this firmware update is not needed.

Updating lens firmware
Users of the D800, D800E, or D810 who are concerned about this issue may take or send their lens to an Nikon Service Centre, where your lens firmware will be updated free of charge.

Identifying lenses with which the firmware has already been updated
Firmware for lenses with a serial number of 205101 or later have already been updated.

*Depending upon the way the camera is held when shooting, or the shooting conditions, images may be blurred even after this lens firmware is updated.

Yeah, I'll be waiting a while longer.... this lens still too ripe for me. :)

Yup ! My serial number is one of the affected ones, but its going to be hard to tear this lens away from me ! haha.. but i guess its good news that there will be more stock of 300mm pf coming in. --
At what price u got it??

A day out with the D7200 + 300mm F/4 PF.. Still loving it !

Autofocus is accurate and fast. Here's part of a 8 photo stitch of a Hero which flew past me. Click on the Image to see original 17156 x 2560 stitch ! (I actually shot around 11 frames, but the last 3 was too far apart to look ince stitched) Focused using AF-C single point (center)

Some images taken around Gardens By The Bay (Main and East)