NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR - Official Thread

Just got my new set from local shop today. Fantastic optics, surprised by the light weight

Just dropped it off at Nikon SC for firmware upgrade. Ready collection after 4pm

Hmm.. new batch/set and the firmware wasn't upgraded ? That's odd.. (Considering this was fixed in April 2015 when i got the lens)

Last edited:
Just got the lens back. Got no idea but based on the serial number, it needs to be fixed. Was told that Nikon is controlling the release, forcing retailers to sell X qty of DSLR bodies before they can release the lens stock bit by bit, dunno how true

Story sounds familiar. Heard in the early days of the D800 release when stock was limited, dealers had to sell X number of Nikon 1 cameras to secure their supply. Will wait till next year to buy my 300 F4.

Light, sharp, easy to handle. Here's few of mine.
photostream

photostream

hi any idea where i can purchase this lens as i have tried calling a few of the popular stores and all no stock. Thanks.

Anyone with stock and price updates? TIA.

Recently got to handle the lens. Light and good!

The lens still amazes me. I've gone through a few tele lens (the sigma 150-600, tamron, nikon 200-500) and I still stick to my 300/4PF..

On a crop body (D500) it works really well with the TC14iii.

Example here is a shot i took recently..

Striated Heron by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

And the crop in

Striated Heron Eye by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Autofocus is fast for tracking birds in flight even with the TC14iii too

Striated Heron Flying Off by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Still limited production lens... Chk with Tk last Sat, no Stock for long time...

This lens is still hard to come by. Must order or reserve if you are interested. I got mine about one month after ordering. Love this lens for its light weight and portability. Very sharp even with 1.4 teleconverter. $DSC_8045.jpg

Another one with 1.4 teleconverter. Shot with D7200.

$DSC_7105.jpg

Thanks, Elvin. The 1.4 TC is on my 300 F4 most of the time as I find 300 a little short on reach. Noticed you already having fun with the D500. Waiting for the price to come down. No hurry as the D7200 is doing a decent job.I am looking forward to the D500 with both the 300 F4 PF and the 200-500. Cheers.

Thanks, Elvin. The 1.4 TC is on my 300 F4 most of the time as I find 300 a little short on reach. Noticed you already having fun with the D500. Waiting for the price to come down. No hurry as the D7200 is doing a decent job.I am looking forward to the D500 with both the 300 F4 PF and the 200-500. Cheers.

I'm loving the D500 + 300/4pf + tc14 combination. Focusing is a lot better then with the D810, and I get to select all the way to the edges !

I had the 200-500 before, and find the performance with tc14 not that great, so it became a 300+tc (420/5.6) vs 500/5.6. The 300/4pf is wayyy lighter and higher image quality.