Nikon 70-200mm f4 G VRIII Next week ;)

Wah either your standard so high or ours too low. Our friend shot in poor lighting conditions and probably had low shutter speed with moving subject, and you criticize until like that (like m43 or compact). :nono:
Jeez, I didn't criticize him. I criticize the lens if the photos are supposed to show off it's qualities. I thought we talk about the lens here?

ageha said:
Because I didn't want to say like a compact cam. The photos have absolutely no detail and they simply look like shot with a common super zoom lens. Nothing bad with that to freeze memories, I'm just saying I expect more from a heavy lens like that on a D800 because you can get the same results with much cheaper equipment.

Wow, reading this, I can't decide if you are teasing his equipment or his technique...

Anyway, having pushed to ISO6400 to freeze some of the action seems like some difficult conditions to me - both for photographer and equipment.

However, it is in these situations that one can still see the virtue of having the f2.8 over the f4.

Wow, reading this, I can't decide if you are teasing his equipment or his technique...
Neither obviously, this thread is just about the lens. Why is that so hard to understand? It even says so in the title.

The photos were shot in jpeg as I was testing the jpeg engine of the D600.

Using ISO 3200, there were still motion blur when trying to capture the lion dance handheld as the lighting was bad.

No flash photography for this type of events.

I'm still testing and evaluating the f4 for lowlight photography.

Cheers.

Last edited:
xtemujin said:
The photos were shot in jpeg as I was testing the jpeg engine of the D600.

Using ISO 3200, there were still motion blur when trying to capture the lion dance handheld as the lighting was bad.

No flash photography for this type of events.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info! There is no EXIF data, that's why I asked. The IQ makes more sense now. ;) But it's hard to make any conclusions about the lens.

Last edited:
There are at least 2 of us here who can look at the photos and decide that there was challenging lighting conditions leading to use of high ISO and also motion blur. And you can't see? The critical comments were really uncalled for, unkind.

Horses for courses, the conditions under which the lion dances photos were taken calls for large aperture lenses, like f2.8 for f2 (e.g. 70-200/2.8, 180/2.8 or 200/2), and high ISO capable cameras like D3s or D4. So the lion dance photos were technically not suited for evaluating this lens and the camera used didn't help either.

There are at least 2 of us here who can look at the photos and decide that there was challenging lighting conditions leading to use of high ISO and also motion blur. And you can't see? The critical comments were really uncalled for, unkind.

Horses for courses, the conditions under which the lion dances photos were taken calls for large aperture lenses, like f2.8 for f2 (e.g. 70-200/2.8, 180/2.8 or 200/2), and high ISO capable cameras like D3s or D4. So the lion dance photos were technically not suited for evaluating this lens and the camera used didn't help either.

Agree with what you've said. In any case, even given a f/2.8 lens, most of the time ISO has to be pushed from ISO4000 to ISO12800 range, where even given a D3S or D4, will see a significant hit on the image IQ at pixel level.

Not sure where you're looking at but at least nothing is moving and the lighting conditions don't look that challenging. Anyway, without any shooting data it's hard to tell.

8425739675_b4735bab49_h.jpg

The photo was taken at 1830 hours where there were still sunlight available.

The EXIF is in the Flickr photostream.

Not sure where you're looking at but at least nothing is moving and the lighting conditions don't look that challenging. Anyway, without any shooting data it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
just check the flickr stream. indeed, EXIF data was removed.

but i would agree that using ISO to 3200 and up, the IQ would take a hit.
would it have taken a lesser IQ hit if it was shot in RAW?

Was tempted by this lens because of its light weight.

But was at a shoot where organiser suddenly says no flash, even though already earlier said its ok.

Very glad has f2.8 then, cause even it was pushing iso3200 and beyond. But if not low light I'll lovee to just carry tis 'weightless' piece..lol

Some comparison done with the F/2.8 big brother... F/4 owners could be quite happy about it...
Nikon 70-200mm f/4G vs f/2.8G

I strongly believe that there will be a 70-200mm f2.8 VR3 in the works soon. What made me not buy the 70-200mm f2.8 VR2 is the focus breathing. That was the deal breaker for me. So far been very happy with the quality of the f4.

bomby929 said:
I strongly believe that there will be a 70-200mm f2.8 VR3 in the works soon. What made me not buy the 70-200mm f2.8 VR2 is the focus breathing. That was the deal breaker for me. So far been very happy with the quality of the f4.

Yes... I noticed the lens breathing issue with the Nikon F2.8 and the sigma F2.8..

Just a note, both the VR1 and VR2 had focus breathing problems though.

Actually, lens with internal focusing mechanisms will have this issue more or less. I don't think the 70-200mm f/4 is spared.

avsquare said:
Just a note, both the VR1 and VR2 had focus breathing problems though.

Actually, lens with internal focusing mechanisms will have this issue more or less. I don't think the 70-200mm f/4 is spared.

Actually the f4 dun have such breathing issues. Or it's very little. So 200mm at min focus is closer than the f2.8 and not to mention it also has shorter focus distance.

Actually the f4 dun have such breathing issues. Or it's very little. So 200mm at min focus is closer than the f2.8 and not to mention it also has shorter focus distance.

The f4 is also an IF lens, so it will also exhibit breathing but just on a lesser scale.

Anyways, it's no doubt that it's a good lens. I like the 1m min focus distance compared to the 1.5m of the f2.8. Resolution power wise, on par with the f2.8 version 1 and just trail behind the f2.8 version 2. The 5 stop IS is no joke, I've posted sample pics of 200mm at 1/6s. It's perfect for those who doesn't need the f2.8 for action stopping shutter speed at low light and wants to go light.

this lens is highly recommended by photozone.de. tested on D3x and D7000

Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR (FX) - Review / Test Report

this is what it photozone.de has to say about the "focus breathing"

Like the larger f/2.8 zoom the Nikkor shows a fair amount of "focus breathing", which means that its field of view changes during focusing. However, unlike its bigger sister lens, it does not widen the field of view when focusing closer, but narrows it. Which no doubt is a more welcome variant for most applications.

question to those who own this glass.

is it parfocal? ;)