Nikon 70-200mm f4 G VRIII Next week ;)

Managed to buy one today, I was quite surprised with the size as it is smaller in diameter compared to my 28-300mm.

Many thanks to all for the intel and I have updated the Nikon group pricelist.

You want updated price, here it is -
http://bit.ly/UUPN2u

You want to contribute, use this form -
http://bit.ly/WaDz9n

Last edited:
guys, will the D700 + 70-200F4 be long enough for Singapore Zoo? i plan to rent this glass when i visit Singapore. or should i stick with the D700+70-300VR combo?
very tempted to try this glass. ;)

on a FX 200mm not long enough for headshots in the zoo for some animals.. need to crop or go to DX mode. For full body shots no issue.

Wow, pictures are very sharp. Are they out of camera, or sharpened in post?

my pics are taken in RAW.. and converted to JPG (highest detail) in Lightroom and uploaded to Flickr. no additional sharpness added just post for contrast/shadow..etc

Thought of getting the tripod collar. Went to Nikon yesterday and was told to order. Left my contact with them. $80. Anyone knows where to find one in the shops around...

The Nikon RT-1 Tripod Collar Ring at $80?

Thought of getting the tripod collar. Went to Nikon yesterday and was told to order. Left my contact with them. $80. Anyone knows where to find one in the shops around...

Got myself a copy today and tested out the acclaimed 5 stops VR. And it's indeed true - 5 stops reduction readily achievable. Here's a sample, 200mm shot at 1/6s (5 stops slower than the 1/focal length rule):

Original (full size available)

70-200mm f4G 5-stop VR test by infinite.rui, on Flickr

100% crop

70-200mm f4G 5-stop VR test 100% crop by infinite.rui, on Flickr

the collar for sgd80???
tat's dirt cheap compare to the USD price i read somewhere...

Got myself a copy today and tested out the acclaimed 5 stops VR. And it's indeed true - 5 stops reduction readily achievable. Here's a sample, 200mm shot at 1/6s (5 stops slower than the 1/focal length rule):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77300197@N07/8394807592/

100% crop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77300197@N07/8394807768/

Impressive VR.

:eek: :thumbsup: Any shot that gives an idea of how very good or bad the bokeh is for portraiture using this lens?

100% crop

Last edited:
:eek: :thumbsup: Any shot that gives an idea of how very good or bad the bokeh is for portraiture using this lens?

I don't really shoot portraits over 70mm end, but maybe when I shoot the cats down my block, can try to see how good the background blur is. :bsmilie:

Bought a third party MIC tripod collar for this lens on eBay and it came in today.
Built quality is very good. Feels hardy and strong. ~S$48 incl registered mail.
8444630844_7be929d80a_c.jpg

Last edited:
I came down to the 2013 Sixth International Lion Dance Competition, Singapore, to test the low light capabilities of the lens.

I'm quite impressed with the lens as the tentage area was lighted with fluorescent and sodium vapour spotlights.

Shot with the D600, ISO 6400 and f/4.

2013 JAN Sixth International Lion Dance Competition, Singapore « xtemujin 360°Resources, Singapore
Too bad you removed the EXIF data. :) The shots look like from a m43 camera, did you shoot in jpeg?

jus wondeing, y did u say they look like from m43 cam?

Because I didn't want to say like a compact cam. The photos have absolutely no detail and they simply look like shot with a common super zoom lens. Nothing bad with that to freeze memories, I'm just saying I expect more from a heavy lens like that on a D800 because you can get the same results with much cheaper equipment.

Last edited:
Wah either your standard so high or ours too low. Our friend shot in poor lighting conditions and probably had low shutter speed with moving subject, and you criticize until like that (like m43 or compact). :nono: