Newbie Shot Of Moon

Also, note that there looks to be some obvious atmospheric interference - clouds or just the heat haze if the moon was shot close to the horizon. Sometimes you gotta wait for the right night too.

great tips...

use basic setting first...S-mode @ shutter speed 1/250, f5.6, ISO 100, tripod not needed... later on once you're familiar with your camera, then, you can do your own setting thru manual mode. :)

great tips...

use basic setting first...S-mode @ shutter speed 1/250, f5.6, ISO 100, tripod not needed... later on once you're familiar with your camera, then, you can do your own setting thru manual mode. :)

That's a horrible setting for a moon shot. Much better sample settings were posted earlier already.

J
Keep your IS off whenever you mount your camera on a tripod, if not it will spoil your lens.

How will IS spoil the lens if its not switched off while the whole setup is mounted onto the tripod? I thought it will only cause some confusion to the IS system and the picture will not be tad sharp.

I tried a few times with a bigger f number and longer shutter speed but it still isnt sharp. It turned out more or less the same. Does the ISO help in making the moon sharper?

Try f/8 and you should get reasonable sharpness. ISO is the sensitivity of the camera sensor to light.

Moon2-080309.jpg

Can't recall the exact settings for the above picture, but its taken at 400mm f/8. Spot metering was used. :)

Last edited:
great tips...

Wow, you sure have steady hands! There's no way I can get to focus properly even when I rest my arm and lens on the window grill with IS on. All shots taken are blurred, not a single usable one. With a tripod, it's hell lots of difference. Much easier to focus and get a reasonably sharp photo. Now I don't even bother to take moon shots without a tripod, waste time and effort only.

Hi, Seems like got haze from Indonesia :)

Hello! Its the first time I shot a moon. I used a tripod with 2-sec self timer. Upon zooming, i realised that the details are not sharp! Why? I hope some bro's here can help me out. The moon was shot at 200mm.

moon26.jpg

How will IS spoil the lens if its not switched off while the whole setup is mounted onto the tripod? I thought it will only cause some confusion to the IS system and the picture will not be tad sharp.

I also find it hard to understand why the IS will cause the lens to spoil? Could some of the bro's explain?

I also find it hard to understand why the IS will cause the lens to spoil? Could some of the bro's explain?

I dont think it will spoil the lens but it will cause "camera shake". You need to understand the reason behind the use of IS.

"Image Stabilization (and vibration reduction) lenses look for vibrations in your camera in order to reduce it – however if they don’t find any (like when you are using a Tripod) they actually can cause it – and as a result actually cause camera shake."

IS on if camera not on tripod, IS off if camera on tripod

25914_379405673049_556168049_3694221_3864077_n.jpg

test... not sure whether can see or not...

do not set delay to 2 sec

once it AF... take the shot almost immediately when there is no movement, else by 2 sec, the moon already move quite a lot!