New York - Where to go??


Status
Not open for further replies.

IvT

New Member
May 9, 2005
273
0
0
#1
Hi All,

I'm travelling to New York for biz end of the month....was wondering anyone here can advice me on the "must-go" places and places good for photography.

I'm trying to cover as much grounds as and when time allows.

TIA!!!
 

kelster

New Member
Apr 25, 2003
1,057
0
0
41
Everywhere where e sun shines
Visit site
#2
hmm...where do we start?...heh...

- Central Park (nice rural within urban shots)
- Chrysler Building/Empire State Building (some urban jungle shots)
- Greenwich Village/Chinatown (good loc for streetshooting)
- The Wall St. Bull near the end of Broadway (well...can go up close and personal with it..heh)
- The Flatiron Building (interestingly flat architechture)

jus a few off my head...heh...enjoy ur time there and remember to post the pics...heh..
 

jeff49er

Senior Member
Apr 11, 2003
1,977
0
0
49
Punggol Park
#3
Other than Manhattan, u must head to Flushing Meadows, Bronx, Hudson Bay, go for River Cruise....

Do take pic of the Brooklyn Bridge

And post those pic here :)
 

Hoky

New Member
Mar 17, 2004
1,182
0
0
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
#4
How about Times Square... everyone go there and take photo one...
I kinda like the industrial (shipping cranes) areas along the Hudson.... nice contrast of the Liberty and modern industrial workplaces...

Btw, are you landing in La Guardia or JFK??? Or izzit flying to Newark, NJ via SQ??
Make lots of difference in NJ and NY..
 

IvT

New Member
May 9, 2005
273
0
0
#5
kelster said:
hmm...where do we start?...heh...

- Central Park (nice rural within urban shots)
- Chrysler Building/Empire State Building (some urban jungle shots)
- Greenwich Village/Chinatown (good loc for streetshooting)
- The Wall St. Bull near the end of Broadway (well...can go up close and personal with it..heh)
- The Flatiron Building (interestingly flat architechture)

jus a few off my head...heh...enjoy ur time there and remember to post the pics...heh..
Thanks for the prompt response... definitely will post pics once i'm back...hopefully they are worth looking at...:sweatsm:
 

IvT

New Member
May 9, 2005
273
0
0
#6
Hoky said:
How about Times Square... everyone go there and take photo one...
I kinda like the industrial (shipping cranes) areas along the Hudson.... nice contrast of the Liberty and modern industrial workplaces...

Btw, are you landing in La Guardia or JFK??? Or izzit flying to Newark, NJ via SQ??
Make lots of difference in NJ and NY..
Actually still thinking abt tat... cos SQ direct is to Newark but only reach in the evening.. For night flight and reach in the afternoon, SQ transit at frankfurt to JFK...might take the JFK route.

:)
 

Hoky

New Member
Mar 17, 2004
1,182
0
0
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
#7
IvT said:
Actually still thinking abt tat... cos SQ direct is to Newark but only reach in the evening.. For night flight and reach in the afternoon, SQ transit at frankfurt to JFK...might take the JFK route.

:)
Yes, JFK is a better route.
Newark is a distance from NY.... It's actually in New Jersey and not New York....
Bon voyage.
 

#8
re: SIA
if you take the non stop to EWR, you arrive in the evening and your day is pretty much gone.
if you take the 1stop to JFK, you will arrive at mid day (after custom clearance)

re: NYC
take the apple tours hop on and off.
gives you a tour of the major attractions and you can use it for unlimited "public" transport rides.
enjoy.
 

idor

Senior Member
Nov 11, 2004
666
0
0
42
Northern California
#9
haagen_dazs said:
re: SIA
if you take the non stop to EWR, you arrive in the evening and your day is pretty much gone.
if you take the 1stop to JFK, you will arrive at mid day (after custom clearance)

re: NYC
take the apple tours hop on and off.
gives you a tour of the major attractions and you can use it for unlimited "public" transport rides.
enjoy.
Why you never ask him to visit you in NY..... and then you can be tour guide in exchange for prima deli spices..... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

wee_wei

New Member
Feb 19, 2006
68
0
0
#13
Empire State
Liberty Island
Brooklyn Bridge
Times Sq(Night)
Broadway
Macy
Bloomingdales
Central Park
Walls Street
NY Exchange
Bull
GroundZero
 

IvT

New Member
May 9, 2005
273
0
0
#15
Splutter said:
Good photographic spots are Times Square, Manhattan/ Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State Building, Wall St, Flatiron building etc. Some of the pics I took in those areas, hope you find this helpful :)
Those are great pictures you have! But I'm only there for slightly more than a week and I'll be travelling for Manhattan to Armonk and White Plains... so only can hope that it's a fruitful trip :)
 

IvT

New Member
May 9, 2005
273
0
0
#16
haagen_dazs: Thanks for the tip! About the apple tours, you mean you can purchase a "ticket" there?

idor : Thanks! Maybe I might....hmm.... lol ;)

Big Kahuna: Ya man! Was thinking of getting my D200 and 12-24 there... dunno how the exchange rates and lens prices compare there... and hopefully with the pack schedule and meetings to go to I will find thime to drop by.... and thanks for the book recommendation.
 

#17
IvT said:
haagen_dazs: Thanks for the tip! About the apple tours, you mean you can purchase a "ticket" there?
.
search new york apple tours or hop on hop off tours
you can buy tickets at the bus or from the hotel's help desk etc etc
when are you coming to nyc?
 

since63

New Member
Nov 18, 2005
88
0
0
#18
IvT said:
Actually still thinking abt tat... cos SQ direct is to Newark but only reach in the evening.. For night flight and reach in the afternoon, SQ transit at frankfurt to JFK...might take the JFK route.

:)

Hello IvT,

Newark is about the same distance as JFK. In fact Time Square is nearer to Newark than JFK by a few miles. If there's not much traffic jam you should be able to reach Manhattan in about 40 mins. LaGuardia is the nearest airport to Manhanttan but no flight from Singapore.

Suggest you take the direct flight to Newark. Its one of the most pleasant SQ flight I had taken. The flight has a small passenger mix (less than 200) and the stewardess are attentive to your needs. The seat is good too. Arriving in the evening is may not be that bad as NYC hardly sleeps.

Have also taken the JFK route before but I did not like the transiting part plus the longer journey. And the plane is too crowded for a long flight!

If you're going to the Liberty Island and planning to climb up the Statue of Liberty, do make an online reservation for the pass.

The NYC DK tour guide suggested by Big Kahuna is great. You can borrow from the library. There's also a condensed version that's quite handy.

The Hop on Hop off bus is not cheap and I did not find it helpful as a form of transportation. But if you want to have a quick overview of the city its ok. The subway is very easy to move around in and you should try it at least for the experience.

Checkout the New York CityPass (www.citypass.com). Admission to six attractions at almost half the price. If you're not getting the pass, do note that for the American Museum of Natural History, you can choose to go in for free.

If you've time do visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. And the MOMA has a good collection of photographic works.

So enjoy and have a good trip!
 

IvT

New Member
May 9, 2005
273
0
0
#19
since63 said:
Hello IvT,

Newark is about the same distance as JFK. In fact Time Square is nearer to Newark than JFK by a few miles. If there's not much traffic jam you should be able to reach Manhattan in about 40 mins. LaGuardia is the nearest airport to Manhanttan but no flight from Singapore.

Suggest you take the direct flight to Newark. Its one of the most pleasant SQ flight I had taken. The flight has a small passenger mix (less than 200) and the stewardess are attentive to your needs. The seat is good too. Arriving in the evening is may not be that bad as NYC hardly sleeps.

Have also taken the JFK route before but I did not like the transiting part plus the longer journey. And the plane is too crowded for a long flight!

If you're going to the Liberty Island and planning to climb up the Statue of Liberty, do make an online reservation for the pass.

The NYC DK tour guide suggested by Big Kahuna is great. You can borrow from the library. There's also a condensed version that's quite handy.

The Hop on Hop off bus is not cheap and I did not find it helpful as a form of transportation. But if you want to have a quick overview of the city its ok. The subway is very easy to move around in and you should try it at least for the experience.

Checkout the New York CityPass (www.citypass.com). Admission to six attractions at almost half the price. If you're not getting the pass, do note that for the American Museum of Natural History, you can choose to go in for free.

If you've time do visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. And the MOMA has a good collection of photographic works.

So enjoy and have a good trip!
Thanks! The citypass website is most helpful... I guess in fact most of the times I'll be travelling on foot and taking the subway. So really hope to do as much with the little time i have :)
 

since63

New Member
Nov 18, 2005
88
0
0
#20
IvT said:
Thanks! The citypass website is most helpful... I guess in fact most of the times I'll be travelling on foot and taking the subway. So really hope to do as much with the little time i have :)
Just to inform you that should you decide to go up the statue of liberty, the queue is very long, about 2 hours of waiting!
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom