New to photog. Wanna get started! :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, i'm new to photog. keen to start learning abt it. i kinda figured i wanna get the S3 IS cos it seems to be a gd camera to start off w? can learn fr auto then explore the other features/controls later on as i bcm more familiar w it?

get the Canon 350D. it is a good starter Canon. now i realized auto isnt the most "prefect" setting for some situation. auto may give overexpose or underexpose. if auto, make sure you can also "change" auto setting. forget the S3, go with the 350D, anyway u will buy it sooner or later. better get direct dSLR experience from beginning.

can someone advise me where's a gd place to buy the camera and the price to expect? also, wat r the usual freebies that i shld expect to get? erm, i'm not too gd at bargaining so tot i shld ask for advise so i don't end up getting "lugi"-ing... i haven't bought a digital camera before, so any advise will be welcomed! :>

Go to The Camera Workshop, Peninsula Htl #01-31, Don 63361956
freebies are usually the CF cards, bag, tripod and batteries.

you might want goto Cathay, and tell them , ronald, recommended u there, i bought all my nikon accessories/bag from there.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

also, any advise on gd photog bks to start off w or courses? also, for such a green person like me, can i join the outings here? wh one will be a gd one to go to?

"Masterclass in Photography"
- Micheal & Julien Busselle [$80 i think]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1...6373575?_encoding=UTF8&p=S008&j=0#reader-page

Riceball Photography Bookstore

#B1-38, The Adelphi
1 Coleman Street,
Singapre 179803
Tel/Fax 63367076
Mon-Sat 11am-7pm

for outings, depending on what u want, you can join us over here...

an added motivation's so i can take nice pic.s in my upcoming hol.s... keke!

nice pic do not need a expensive camera. even my Yashica-B camera takes great photos!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
can i also ask abt storage devices? quite clueless here...
apart fr the memory cards, u can get storage devices w greater memory capacity?
can download them fr the memory cards when on hol so that can take
more pics? can anyone tell me what are these, their storage capacities and cost?

yes that is right, and most of them is cheaper than Cf of same size... imagine 60GB CF card cost of $3K ?
these are great for photo archival.
but i would highly recommend a firewire DVD burner(with a laptop) instead.
A 4.7GB dvd cost so little compared to CF card!!!
DVD are the best choice. if i am not wrong there are double-side DVD-R as well.
get DVD-R or DVD-RW as these can be played/read from any DVD-ROM device exist.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

yup yup, i always shoot on max res! check up on ur cam's performance, than decide how much you need lor.

i prefer getting CF cards instead cos i rather scare hdd will fail too. mechanical stuff are always prone to failure. OT-ing, the needle above the hdd platter in the hdd is less than a hair width. imagine u tossing the hdd above in ur bag.

anyway, if my hdd fail, all photos gone. ir distribute amongst diff CF cards, than at least some might work. also, CF cards are smaller and more portable. and i can shoot immediately when i reload.

thats me lah. haa haa......

wah, espn help you. thats a top guru man! get his help!

happitreesmiles said:
er, i dunno any shops... well or anything... so just go see wat u pple hv recommended here...

find a guru to help? er, dunno any gurus... depend on my own common sense lor!?

Hi

You can go to see Samuel or Leslie of John 3:16..Tell them I make the reference to you..

Both guys will be able to help you..:)

All the best..;) Kah Hoe..

hi all, i'm new to photog. keen to start learning abt it. i kinda figured i wanna get the S3 IS cos it seems to be a gd camera to start off w?

i'm only a 1 DSLR user and a newbie, but my experience is that you have to first consider the size of camera you can tolerate bringing around - that is what i think is the first and foremost consideration.

if you have decided that you can tolerate a bigger and heavier camera (plus lens), you can consider the common favorite entry levels - nikon D50, nikon D70s, canon 350D, olympus E500 (not so familiar but i think that is an entry level, so olympus experts pls correct me). for the various prosumer and pns, no comments.... i got a fujifilm F11 as a backup camera and a gf-can-use-anytime camera.

didn't really like it and hardly bother to learn using it though.... always think that DSLR feels better than pns. and learning is only after much reading and practicing.

can learn fr auto then explore the other features/controls later on as i bcm more familiar w it?

i started off switching between auto and aperture priority, then slowly experiment with shutter priority. now all using manual. also learn using various metering system. but i dun use scene modes.

can someone advise me where's a gd place to buy the camera and the price to expect? also, wat r the usual freebies that i shld expect to get? erm, i'm not too gd at bargaining so tot i shld ask for advise so i don't end up getting "lugi"-ing... i haven't bought a digital camera before, so any advise will be welcomed! :>

i expect a lot with the accessories, so i find most of the freebies redundant stuff (prefer to get my own which is better) with the exception of extra batteries and memory cards.

places to buy varies between customers to customers. i have good experience and bad experience even with some of the better shops.

the better shops in terms of DSLRs/higher end products, often recommended include
1. cathay photo at peninsula
2. TK photo at shaw
3. john 3:16 at funan
4. alan photo at funan/simlim (but be wary of other camera shops there)
5. lords at lucky plaza (but be wary of other camera shops there)

i also saw a high class shop at plaza sing that sells hasselbach...... cool man, almost like louis vuitton

also, any advise on gd photog bks to start off w or courses? also, for such a green person like me, can i join the outings here? wh one will be a gd one to go to?

i started off with many books, but i like the following

1. understanding exposure by bryan peterson
2. megaguide to digital photography by hwz
3. travel photography by lonely planets
4. practical photography (UK monthly mag) - cheapest to buy from bras basah $12 each

my work is erratic, as such i dun join outings... but you can of cos, nothing stopping you... and if i have time, will prefer to go traveling to take photos....

an added motivation's so i can take nice pic.s in my upcoming hol.s... keke!

where are you going? in december? cool... go somewhere you can find snow....
lagi better if you go late jan/early feb to hokkaido see their sapporo snow festival :lovegrin:

can i also ask abt storage devices? quite clueless here... apart fr the memory cards, u can get storage devices w greater memory capacity? can download them fr the memory cards when on hol so that can take more pics? can anyone tell me what are these, their storage capacities and cost?

depends on your media. frankly speaking, you still a few of the cards becos a 2.5" HDD + casing with card reader and viewer is still very heavy. and you might not have time to do transfer or may face a flat battery of the storage. so storage device is gd as a backup if you already have maybe 3 cards which is still simply insufficient to hold and if you are travelling. my preference is get 2GB (main) + 1 GB (supplementary) + 1GB (backup)

i dun need to use a storage device if i'm in singapore but when i go abroad, i shoot in raw format, so each pic is about 6MB. i typically shoot abt 200 pics in a gd day of travelling.

an alternative to a storage device is a small laptop. it allows you direct viewing and editing same night but at the expense of the weight.

saying the truth,

the only thing i dont like about prosumers are the EVF - electronic viewfinder

i dont get sharp composition. and i have trouble with focusing on EVF, personally lah. but maybe its my eyes only :bsmilie:

my Z3 stayed in my dry cab for long long long long long long long.... okok i think u get the idea :bsmilie:

hello, i tot abt the wt thing... was checking out the shops at sls when i realised that the Lumix FZ7 seems to hv similar features w S3IS, but is much lighter! i held one in each hand and cld really feel the difference!

and i think that maybe wide angle's more impt for hol shots? (versus zoom??) so maybe i'd see if there's a camera that's like S3IS or Lumix FZ7 PLUS wide angle...? :confused: haha! any recommendations? :dunno:

wide angle compact.... Panasonic FX01?

If you want IS + wide angle, I think you should SERIOUSLY think about getting a KM 5D. It is a DSLR which cost around 1k. The kit lens gives you 28mm wide angle and the body comes with built in image stabilization. It can shoot ISO800 no problem.

Not too sure if it is still for sale as KM got bought by sony but you can find sets being sold at B&S.

It is quite light too for a DSLR.

The price is really quite low, comes with IS, wide angle, high ISO, manual controls, good response + AF of a DSLR.... The only thing is that it is heavier than the compacts like FZ7.... but not that heavy too lah.

I don't think DSLR is a big investment. The entry level cost around $1k. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy anymore lens. If you like photog, at least there is an upgrade path

cannot be dont buy lens one... hee hee.... i told myself that too. but always will still buy...

hmmm...... myself i go for nikon DSLR or even canon. simply becos of the amount of lens available. and also accessories.

hmmm..... i would go for canon S3IS.....

i think wide is better for holiday. cos generally ppl want to have shots of themselves or scenery.

Hi,

If you really keen with S3 IS, go to the thread below, it has most, if not all, the info you need for S3 IS, i.e. where to buy, what is the best price, what accessories available, etc.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=185616&page=42

Happy searching!;)

happitreesmiles said:
hi all, i'm new to photog. keen to start learning abt it. i kinda figured i wanna get the S3 IS cos it seems to be a gd camera to start off w? can learn fr auto then explore the other features/controls later on as i bcm more familiar w it?

thks in advance for responses! :>

You can always buy Wide Angle converter on the S3.:)

happitreesmiles said:
hello, i tot abt the wt thing... was checking out the shops at sls when i realised that the Lumix FZ7 seems to hv similar features w S3IS, but is much lighter! i held one in each hand and cld really feel the difference!

and i think that maybe wide angle's more impt for hol shots? (versus zoom??) so maybe i'd see if there's a camera that's like S3IS or Lumix FZ7 PLUS wide angle...? :confused: haha! any recommendations? :dunno:

lastboltnut said:
You can always buy Wide Angle converter on the S3.:)

just wondering if that'll end up v bulky and harder to handle?

and if it'll end up w those distorted or "curved corners" when take pic?:dunno:

erhm.... if i am to say.... i think the converters are no point lah..... really....

thought of getting one for my old Z3, but my fren say really no point lah.

and it might jack up the cost more...

if like that, maybe u might jus go for a 2nd DSLR in the BnS. there are quite a few good deals there. get a 18-70mm, and a 70-300mm, u get wide and tele.

that might bring u up to maybe 1.5K which i think is close to a S3IS

Hi, have you considered Sony H5 since it is the same category to S3IS. Based on dpreview on H2 (H5 is almost similar to H2 except that the LCD is wider). The picture quality matches S3IS or if not better. You should seriously consider H5. Highly recommended.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/

Here is a site which review some WC for S2/S3 IS.

With the WC, the cam will be bigger loh, no choice.

happitreesmiles said:
just wondering if that'll end up v bulky and harder to handle?

and if it'll end up w those distorted or "curved corners" when take pic?:dunno:

that is the prob for DSLR.....too many choices of accessories......so will keep buying and buying. The BBBug will never be satisfy....

For prosumer, there is a limit to the accessories.

I think unless one is seriously into photography, if not a prosumer with good video mode is good for travel.:D

zcwnfx said:
cannot be dont buy lens one... hee hee.... i told myself that too. but always will still buy...

hmmm...... myself i go for nikon DSLR or even canon. simply becos of the amount of lens available. and also accessories.

hmmm..... i would go for canon S3IS.....

i think wide is better for holiday. cos generally ppl want to have shots of themselves or scenery.

haa haa, thats so true....

but u got to see beyond the accessories. its the skill that is more important. anyone with money can get the lens, but skill must slowly build up.

so as said, if seriously want to go into photography, the accessories actually leave more rooms for expansion. a prosumer might jus set u back a few hundreds, unless u plan to stay with it long.

personally, the EVF is the thing that turns me off..... I really hate that..... :p

Hi happitreesmiles

So, after almost a month of deliberation, have you decided on which cam to buy? Your keen interest in photography can't go any further without a cam you know! :bsmilie: Get one soon and start shooting! ;)

Cheers!

Yah, EVF is really a turn off.....I cannot really see where I am focusing......even with the manificatin. Still prefers the optical type. But too bad, I am a prosumer user.:(

zcwnfx said:
haa haa, thats so true....

but u got to see beyond the accessories. its the skill that is more important. anyone with money can get the lens, but skill must slowly build up.

so as said, if seriously want to go into photography, the accessories actually leave more rooms for expansion. a prosumer might jus set u back a few hundreds, unless u plan to stay with it long.

personally, the EVF is the thing that turns me off..... I really hate that..... :p

I think after a month of deliberation, she has decided to start another new thread:bsmilie: And hey! Your kid is cute! How old was he/she when you took that avartar pic?

Big Belly said:
Hi happitreesmiles

So, after almost a month of deliberation, have you decided on which cam to buy? Your keen interest in photography can't go any further without a cam you know! :bsmilie: Get one soon and start shooting! ;)

Cheers!

By the way, happitreesmiles, dun delay buying the cam untill the day before you fly. You need time to play and learn with the cam first before you can take relatively good pic during your travel woh.;p

agree! took me some time to remember all the impt functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.