New to photog. Wanna get started! :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
happitreesmiles said:
an added motivation's so i can take nice pic.s in my upcoming hol.s... keke! can i also ask abt storage devices? quite clueless here... apart fr the memory cards, u can get storage devices w greater memory capacity? can download them fr the memory cards when on hol so that can take more pics? can anyone tell me what are these, their storage capacities and cost?

I'm using DigiMate II-plus and have fix in a 40Gb 2 1/2" harddisk. This DigiMate II-plus can read CF, MD, SD, MMC, XD and MS Pro. I find it very useful when travelling cos at the end of the day, I just transfer all my photos into the hard disk and I only need to carry 1G xd card. The cost of this DigiMate II-plus cost abt $90 last year and my friend manage to find something similar for only $60 early this year. Hope this infor help.;)

must remember to factor in the cost of the 2.5" hdd.

zcwnfx said:
must remember to factor in the cost of the 2.5" hdd.

Hm..mm.. the hard disk cost $129 + casting $90 = $219 for 40GB storage which I think is more worth cos I'm using XD card, 1G would have cost me ard $90?

And as I say I got it last year, so price should be cheaper now:)

Forgot to mention becos this enclosure can assess to most card, while travelling alot of my friends "tongpang" me to store too...

wah, u must have taken tons of photos.

hmmm, but for me, if i take lets say about 1K worth of photos in RAW mode, if 30% need post process, then i die processing them liao :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

but then again, if shoot jpeg still ok lah....

hmmm.... see how much u shoot lor...

buy liao can also use as external hdd during other times :thumbsup:

oh yeah, i using CFs and SDs, so about 85 can get 2GB liao.

thats why i never get any cams that uses cards other than CFs or SDs

happitreesmiles thinking of getting the Canon S3 IS lah.. so most likely he'll be shooting in 6mp JPEG Super-Fine which is around 3mb per pic. 1gb can store over 360 pics which I think is quite alot for daily outings. Even for short holidays, a 2gb card should be enough more most pple.

IMHO, we should aim to shoot more quality shots rather than be too trigger happy. if u come back from holidays with thousands of shots, will die post processing.. ;p

yup, i think so too. if too kiasu, he can always buy 2 2GB. shoot pictures till "shou ruan"

thks! i'll go try look for the shop :>

Just get the better high-speed ones and you can utilise them if you upgrade later on. Probably should try getting the 8GB one and you need only one. It should cost around $600? :devil:[/QUOTE]

wah... that's expensive! think the portable storage's more affordable. can use that as spare storage and save other types of files as well, rt?

stk said:
happitreesmiles thinking of getting the Canon S3 IS lah.. so most likely he'll be shooting in 6mp JPEG Super-Fine which is around 3mb per pic. 1gb can store over 360 pics which I think is quite alot for daily outings. Even for short holidays, a 2gb card should be enough more most pple.

IMHO, we should aim to shoot more quality shots rather than be too trigger happy. if u come back from holidays with thousands of shots, will die post processing.. ;p

i m thinking of going on a 14 day hol, and a 7 day hol... are these considered short?

i haven't tot abt post processing... another area to think abt...!

btw, just to clarify, i'm a she, not a he...

happitreesmiles said:
i m thinking of going on a 14 day hol, and a 7 day hol... are these considered short?

oops, so sorry.

anyway, I think u use S3 IS wont need much post processing ba.

My idea of long is like maybe a month?

no need to get 8GB str lah. get a 2GB at about 80 plus can liao. Best Bargain @ SLS Lvl 5.

Have fun!

OT-ing : Wah, after covering my Club's event, shooting 200++ shots, post process till i die! haa haa

happitreesmiles said:
hi all, i'm new to photog. keen to start learning abt it. i kinda figured i wanna get the S3 IS cos it seems to be a gd camera to start off w? can learn fr auto then explore the other features/controls later on as i bcm more familiar w it?

can someone advise me where's a gd place to buy the camera and the price to expect? also, wat r the usual freebies that i shld expect to get? erm, i'm not too gd at bargaining so tot i shld ask for advise so i don't end up getting "lugi"-ing... i haven't bought a digital camera before, so any advise will be welcomed! :>

also, any advise on gd photog bks to start off w or courses? also, for such a green person like me, can i join the outings here? wh one will be a gd one to go to?

an added motivation's so i can take nice pic.s in my upcoming hol.s... keke! can i also ask abt storage devices? quite clueless here... apart fr the memory cards, u can get storage devices w greater memory capacity? can download them fr the memory cards when on hol so that can take more pics? can anyone tell me what are these, their storage capacities and cost?

thks in advance for responses! :>

1. s3-IS is expensive. if posible, get a used S2-IS. cheaper.
2. canon is a good choice :thumbsup:

happitreesmiles said:

Sorry sis..

I agree that 2-3gb will be enough for 14 days.. that's about 50-100 shots a day. Dun focus on shooting till u forget to enjoy the place hor. ;)

happitreesmiles said:
also, any advise on gd photog bks to start off w or courses? also, for such a green person like me, can i join the outings here? wh one will be a gd one to go to?

Hi there,

If you want, I can recommend some good books for start off with
1. Understanding Digital Photography
2. Understanding Exposure
3. Learning to See Creatively

If not, just go to Riceball at The Adelphi Basement 1 and see what will they recommend.

For photography courses, if you want, PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore) is offering courses for Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography, can check with them if you are interested.

However, the best way to learn is to go out for outing and Shoot Shoot Shoot. The books and course are also good for a head start too.

ok, so buy a 2GB shld be enuf, rt? okie... thks, stk & zcwnfx, for the advice :) maybe i'll just be a bit kiasu and just borrow spare card fr other pple just in case, haha! yep, will rem to enjoy the place/sights. :D

thks, francis247, for the reference on bks and course. think i'll check n see if i can find em in the library 1st?

yes, yes... i'll try to join the outings n get some help w learning how to use the camera. ;p

2nd hand camera? i'd def prefer cheaper lah! but, i'm not gd at technical/electronics stuff... my concern is that i dunno how to check the camera... so safer to buy a new one fr a shop?

Get some frens that know about these stuff. Check things like LCD, viewfinder, try taking a few photo to see. Also try things like flash too.

If cannot find fren, find some guru here lor. :bsmilie:

2nd hand stuff at the BnS threads are not bad. but might not always have wat u want.

happitreesmiles said:
thks, francis247, for the reference on bks and course. think i'll check n see if i can find em in the library 1st?

yes, yes... i'll try to join the outings n get some help w learning how to use the camera. ;p

2nd hand camera? i'd def prefer cheaper lah! but, i'm not gd at technical/electronics stuff... my concern is that i dunno how to check the camera... so safer to buy a new one fr a shop?

Hi there,

You are welcomed.

Not too sure if the library carry some of these books, but I will recommend Riceball as it really got a good collection of photography books. You can try to flip up the books to see if it is really to your liking and the owner is a friendly guy too. He can recommend you some books for a start.

As for buying a new camera from the shop, it will be better if you know some of the shops well enough. For me, I will recommend TK Foto or MS Colour.

er, i dunno any shops... well or anything... so just go see wat u pple hv recommended here...

find a guru to help? er, dunno any gurus... depend on my own common sense lor!?

happitreesmiles said:
er, i dunno any shops... well or anything... so just go see wat u pple hv recommended here...

find a guru to help? er, dunno any gurus... depend on my own common sense lor!?
I wouldn't mind helping, but it will depends if I'm around that area.

Else, you're better off purchasing from TK Foto @ Shaw Towers, Beach Road 2nd Level, look for Richard/James.

dont skimp on memory cards such that you have to lower down the resolution to squeeze more shots into your memory.

because then it really defeats the purpose of buying a good high resolution camera in the first place.

buy enough that you can just shoot to your hearts content, on max resolution.

i recommend that you give florence from ms color a call and check price with her. they offer good service and their prices are pretty competitive. tell her you are from CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.