My next upgrade

Steven C

Jul 28, 2011
I've been using D3100 for quite some time now and have planned to upgrade to D7000. But with the launch of D5200, I may be changing my mind.

The main reasons I would go for D5200 instead of D7000 as follow:
1. higher megapixels
2. same 39 AF pts
3. articulated screen

Other reasons:
1. EXPEED 3
2. Lighter in weight
3. Should cost much lesser

For budget reasons, I would not go for FX (at least for now).

What will I miss out if I go for D5200?
Which will you choose if you were me?

Last edited:
I will probably endure and wait for D7000/D300/D300s replacement and spend the money on lenses... If cannot endure, I will choose D5200.

You will miss out on the better ergonomics and the tougher body, the high ISO (the Sony 16mp sensor is better than the sony 24mp one at high ISO) and of course the af motor in the body.

Fyi there are quite a few "d5200 or d7000" threads already. You should search before starting a new thread.

Thanks all for the replies.
Was at the crossroad ... cannot decide, so post for second opinion.
Thanks.

You might want to hold off for a couple more months. The replacement for D7000 is rumored to be around the corner.

You might want to hold off for a couple more months. The replacement for D7000 is rumored to be around the corner.

A person I met told be he got insider news that it should be 1st Q 13. :bsmilie:

A person I met told be he got insider news that it should be 1st Q 13. :bsmilie:

Looks like going to be a Nikon D7000 replacement vs Canon 7DMKII whatever for next year.... battle of the APSC..... this year is battle of the FF....

Looks like going to be a Nikon D7000 replacement vs Canon 7DMKII whatever for next year.... battle of the APSC..... this year is battle of the FF....

Haha.. Not only the battle of the FF.. Flagships included. 1DX VS D4 :bsmilie:

However this year, Canon had much more actions. They refreshed their flagship speedlight with an entirely new and revolutionary RT system. The flagship general zoom was refreshed with may sang praises of it for being sharper than some of the sharpest primes. And a host of other lens refreshed.

I'd like to see Nikon do refresh some of their old stuff though. the 70-200 f/4 was a welcome.

However this year, Canon had much more actions. They refreshed their flagship speedlight with an entirely new and revolutionary RT system. The flagship general zoom was refreshed with may sang praises of it for being sharper than some of the sharpest primes. And a host of other lens refreshed.

I'd like to see Nikon do refresh some of their old stuff though. the 70-200 f/4 was a welcome.

hmm.. I would think Nikon had equal if not more actions, with ground breaking D800 and D800E, a solid D600, flagship, an entry level class leading D3200, D5200 and both cheap and expensive Wifi options for the entire line of DSLRs. Not shabby for Nikon.

avsquare said:

Canon praises should be sung in Canon forum.

Guess it's worthwhile to hold for a moment.
Thanks for the info.

hmm.. I would think Nikon had equal if not more actions, with ground breaking D800 and D800E, a solid D600, flagship, an entry level class leading D3200, D5200 and both cheap and expensive Wifi options for the entire line of DSLRs. Not shabby for Nikon.

Ah, slipped through my mind a little. I've a bit of mixed feelings for the D800 personally. No doubt a ground breaking and excellent cam and godsend to those who had use for the class leading sensor @ a whooping 36MP. Used the D800E for a few months but felt that it wasn't for me. Maybe just that not in my area of use that I neglected it's significance.

I'm not sure about the D3200, never handled it before but the D600 was a good one. Just a shame that the dust spot issued cast too might negative light on it. Given the choice of D600 and 6D, I'd take D600 anytime. ;)

Canon praises should be sung in Canon forum.

Opinions can't be expressed freely here? :bsmilie:

Just in case you've mistook me for a Canon fanboy - I use both.

Ah, slipped through my mind a little. I've a bit of mixed feelings for the D800 personally. No doubt a ground breaking and excellent cam and godsend to those who had use for the class leading sensor @ a whooping 36MP. Used the D800E for a few months but felt that it wasn't for me. Maybe just that not in my area of use that I neglected it's significance.

People see through filtered lenses. Only what you use/prefer, you will notice. For me,apart from the new sensors, I thought the new metering system in the D4/D800/D800E was a huge improvement. And I also thought the implementation of Wifi remote access and transmission across the entire DSLR line to be pretty revolutionary.

Last edited:
People see through filtered lenses. Only what you use/prefer, you will notice. For me,apart from the new sensors, I thought the new metering system in the D4/D800/D800E was a huge improvement. And I also thought the implementation of Wifi remote access and transmission across the entire DSLR line to be pretty revolutionary.

As I'm just starting out on Nikon FF bodies, I can't comment much on the technical aspects yet but if I were to compare the D700 metering with D800/E metering, it's indeed better on both getting the right exposure and WB.

The implementation of cheap Wifi remote access solution can be said as revolutionary and I believe it will benefit a certain group of professionals. I'm not sure about this though, I doubt the majority of the DSLR users would require Wifi remote control on most of their uses - same goes to the built in GPS and Wifi on the 6D. Kinda gimmicky to me, I'd rather see more "real" improvements that benefit the majority of the consumers in more tangible sense. :)

Nonetheless in 2012 we've seen many new breakthroughs and new offerings from all the manufacturers although I'm not entirely satisfied. Got to wait another 2 more years to see if Nikon will come out with updated models of the D4/D800/D600 to patch up on the lacking factors of each model.

My only gripe is the WT-5 cannot be used backwards and it still costs a bomb.

As I'm just starting out on Nikon FF bodies, I can't comment much on the technical aspects yet but if I were to compare the D700 metering with D800/E metering, it's indeed better on both getting the right exposure and WB.

The implementation of cheap Wifi remote access solution can be said as revolutionary and I believe it will benefit a certain group of professionals. I'm not sure about this though, I doubt the majority of the DSLR users would require Wifi remote control on most of their uses - same goes to the built in GPS and Wifi on the 6D. Kinda gimmicky to me, I'd rather see more "real" improvements that benefit the majority of the consumers in more tangible sense. :)

Nonetheless in 2012 we've seen many new breakthroughs and new offerings from all the manufacturers although I'm not entirely satisfied. Got to wait another 2 more years to see if Nikon will come out with updated models of the D4/D800/D600 to patch up on the lacking factors of each model.

Actually, it is probably the genre you are in. From your flickr, you are more into portraits I see. But for people like birders, wildlife, as well as sports, having remote control can be a godsend. This is apart from the usual wedding/event photographers.

My only gripe is the WT-5 cannot be used backwards and it still costs a bomb.

Not sure if you have read online, that the cheap WT-1a has already been hacked for use with D800. Sooner or later, someone will figure a way out to make it work for D4.

And seriously, the WT-5 is not that expensive. Just look at the WT-4's price, functionality and design.

I've been using D3100 for quite some time now and have planned to upgrade to D7000. But with the launch of D5200, I may be changing my mind.

The main reasons I would go for D5200 instead of D7000 as follow:
1. higher megapixels
2. same 39 AF pts
3. articulated screen

Other reasons:
1. EXPEED 3
2. Lighter in weight
3. Should cost much lesser

For budget reasons, I would not go for FX (at least for now).

What will I miss out if I go for D5200?
Which will you choose if you were me?

Same here I also halt thinking to get D5200 or FujiFilm XE-1.