More ERP gantries, higher ERP rates to ease congestion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 30 January 2008 1448 hrs

SINGAPORE : More electronic road pricing (or ERP) gantries will be put up and some ERP rates will be raised as part of the government's wide ranging move to ease traffic congestion.

In addition, the rate of annual vehicle growth will be moderated but road taxes will be cut.

In the last of three major announcements on changes to the land transport system, Transport Minister Raymond Lim says even as public transport is being improved, firm steps must be taken to curb excessive car travel demand.

So the incremental ERP charge will be raised from 50 cents to S$1 progressively from July.

At the same time, the ERP base charge, which is the starting charge for a new ERP gantry point, will be increased from S$1 to S$2.

The number of vehicles on the road is also set to go down.

From May 2009, the rate of annual vehicle growth will be halved - from 3 percent to 1.5 percent.

But road taxes will be reduced by 15 percent from July this year as part of the general move towards taxing based on usage, rather than ownership.

To lower the upfront cost of car ownership, the Additional Registration Fee (or ARF) will be lowered from 110 percent of the Open Market Value (or OMV) to 100 percent from March.

On the new gantries, 16 will come up in phases during the year.

On April 7, the gantries at Upper Bukit Timah Road, Toa Payoh Lorong 6, Upper Boon Keng Road, Geylang Bahru Road and Kallang Bahru Road will be switched on.

On July 7, five new gantries will run along the Singapore River line - from Clemenceau Avenue to Fullerton Road - at Eu Tong Sen Street, New Bridge Road, South Bridge Road and Fullerton Road.

Then on November 3, six new gantries will come up - at Commonwealth Avenue, Jalan Bukit Merah, Alexandra Road, AYE (westbound) and PIE (westbound) near Eunos and Serangoon Road.

Mr Lim explained that the ERP system has largely remained unchanged since it was introduced 10 years ago so it has to be enhanced to address current and future traffic conditions.

He made the announcements during a visit to the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway on Wednesday morning. - CNA/ch

This nothing new...the LTA fellows keep juggling among road tax, coe and ERP. But still can't stop ppl from driving to work coz the world's best public transport still can't meet the demand.

This nothing new...the LTA fellows keep juggling among road tax, coe and ERP. But still can't stop ppl from driving to work coz the world's best public transport still can't meet the demand.

Die die must drive.

Complaint complaint and complaint... never mind the jammmmm!

Built more road leh! under ground, over head.. flyover.. over the sea.. over the building built into the sky...

Lastly built a virtual network of roads...

the "world's best" transport received a lot of complaints for quite some time already for low frequency, overcrowded, poor maintenance etc....

why an ERP at Commonwealth Ave?!?! there is no jam here aT ALL! :dunno::dunno:

Bullshit.. I have seen increase in MRT fare resulting in an increase in waiting time during both peak and off peak as well.. Whatever happened to the 3 minute train interval? Why is that so? The only reason I could think of is that they are just trying to fill their own pockets with no regards for commuters. At least maintain the same waiting time so that it doesn't look that obvious!!

the "world's best" transport received a lot of complaints for quite some time already for low frequency, overcrowded, poor maintenance etc....

i recently did a personal survey of most of the overseas students that i know, from various parts of the world

ALL of them grudgingly admitted that the world's best transport IS the world's best transport :bsmilie: ok, except maybe hong kong's system on par. so maybe second best. maybe, we all need to go to hell to appreciate what heaven is.

Look like it is just a matter of time that we might end up with one ERP gantry on every traffic light. Road Tax removed then.

Look like it is just a matter of time that we might end up with one ERP gantry on every traffic light. Road Tax removed then.

Wait long long... :bsmilie:

Best way is increase the public transport frequency and reduce the fee by 50%. Guaranty less cars on the road

no lah... satellite based tracking system measuring exact road use... ;p

They are just trying to juggle traffic around. However, the number of cars heading to the same location still remain the same. It doesn't help that gantries are everywhere. If I have to pay either way, why not just go through the more direct route then?

north south highway 20 billion dollars

now who will pay for this

By the time we hit 6 million ppl, it will be HRP (Human Road Pricing)...

Maybe u can stick the IU on your forehead. So when you leave your house, your head will "tee" to deduct fee

By the time we hit 6 million ppl, it will be HRP (Human Road Pricing)...

i really shudder at this. I wonder if a poll is done, if anyone sane will see the 'big' picture, if SG really 'needs' 6mil to be a 'super-power-wannabe' etc.

I for one, do NOT see the need of that many pple to look for talent. Home-grown talent...MUST be home-grown, and not bought (which won't last for generations anyway).

the way to beat the entries? as what streetshooter said, either work from home or near home..or be very rich and pay your way through... meaning earn big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.