Memories of Iceland

Oh ~~~ this is gorgeous. !!!

# 42.

A jpg stitch of 3. The bit of rainbow might be a complicated lens flare

6129907146_4e7526ecf6_b.jpg

Nicely stitched moment for #42, given the fast moving steam, strong winds, sun position. Flawless. :thumbsup:

You've got a nice moment there in #42. Well captured. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh ~~~ this is gorgeous. !!!

Nicely stitched moment for #42, given the fast moving steam, strong winds, sun position. Flawless. :thumbsup:

Thanks much for the kind words dear friends :) I was just lucky.

Softwares nowadays are pretty much amazing when it comes to stitching a best fit. I usually take pictures towards the direction of the source ( in this case left to right ) so I may avoid chances of repeating patterns. In this case I had to wait to take frames where the sun was at the margins of the steam.

Ryan

With the 17TSE, right? I could have sworn you had the 24 too
No troubles going maximum shift?
Has an out-of-worldly feel, the supplied narrative of the deafening sounds produced adds to it

Has an out-of-worldly feel, the supplied narrative of the deafening sounds produced adds to it

Yea I was actually pretty near but the wide focal length made it look a little far. There is slight vignetting with extreme shift as usual. I used to have a Nikon PCE 24mm which was sold off. No Canon 24mm TSEs :) Coming to think of it I think I have a video clip of the noisy vent, maybe i should go upload it some time..

Somewhere in the northeastern part of Iceland, the greatest waterfall of Europe : Dettifoss
Dettifoss can be viewed from either the east bank or the west bank depending on the route that you approach F864 or F862. Roads are extremely bumpy and a 4WD is recommended for a slightly less butt aching drive. If you take a loop from Ring road, you can see both sides of the waterfall.

6206874668_5f7daeec4e_z.jpg

Unfortunately i was caught in the rain and the wind made it impossible for any umbrella. Vast number of shots were marred by rain and not usable ( think of the rain splattering on the windscreen, and the wipper aka my hand was just not fast enough ) I was a little dispirited by the arduous journey only to be marred by the bad weather, and my wife suggested me to grab a shot from the top as we were leaving. This was a survivor

# 43

6175079034_6f170be536_b.jpg

Here is a video capture of the vent , but I was more than a hill away, separated by a huge crater lake.
The photo was captured much nearer the vent, I was probably between the road by the side and the vent.
* apologies for the poor video capture, not too savy

[video=youtube;63hXzrzP4q0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hXzrzP4q0[/video]

Horses grazing, sunset at Lake Myvatn, literally just beside the Lake.
We stayed in Hotel Reykjahlid that affords a Lake view westwards

# 44

6237472831_b70a2225d1_z.jpg

This is a very tough shot...

get the sky and you will miss the grass...
if you get good exposure on horse and grass, you will over expose the sky...
Only way is to take 2 shots..

you have done well here... nice :)

Agree with lkkang. The exposure for the foreground and sky is nicely balanced for a single shot. Nice! Did you need to bring out some of the foreground using PP?

Agree with lkkang. The exposure for the foreground and sky is nicely balanced for a single shot. Nice! Did you need to bring out some of the foreground using PP?

Hi Billy and DanMan

The shot was actually taken wide open with my 85mm with a +2 GND pasted. It was way too dark, and I could not get a longer exposure because horses were moving. Even then I needed to do quite abit of raw manipulation to bring out the foreground. If u noticed, the GND covered a little of the distant hills ( which I decided to leave it alone ) I got a few others taken at f1.2 with higher ISOs but did not do as well though. ( they will not look too good close up at that kind of dof )

For instance

# 45

6237473175_7c707a4475_z.jpg

* The GND level kinda darkened half the buildings as well.

Of course the other downside / upside of such shooting is the attendant vignetting at the wide aperture
I got no other way of doing the scene unless a future camera comes up with better dynamic range and ultra clean higher ISOs.

Ryan

# 46

6237995710_500edbc926_b.jpg

Cotton fields, a stitch of 3. Taken an evening after dinner at Breiðavík, towards direction of Látrabjarg.

Ryan

# 47

Dynjandi aka " thunderous" aka Fjallfoss . A cascading waterfall arguably the most prominent in Westfjords. Get rewarded with a beautiful and relatively easy climb up next to the waterfall.

6452623369_3d5dc05d18_b.jpg

Stitched of 3, tilted, 17TSE, a somewhat pleasant vignetting uncorrected.

^
Very nice, there's that mini rainbow at the foot of
Then again, the assumption being the waterfall is gigantic and therefore the rainbow shouldn't be 'mini' after all...
Was wondering what happened to your series

^
Very nice, there's that mini rainbow at the foot of
Then again, the assumption being the waterfall is gigantic and therefore the rainbow shouldn't be 'mini' after all...
Was wondering what happened to your series

Thx Zichar. The rainbow looks quite biggish when we climbed to the base of the waterfall. Probably one of those tinnier ones that comes out from the bottom bit of mist when the light strikes.

I am a little caught up with the logistics of house moving, reno stuffs recently. Hopefully my bandwidth recovers at the start of 2012.

Ryan

Digging up this thread on a lazy Saturday morning :)

The longing for Iceland continues...

Hope to see more of your memories of Iceland.

Cheers

Digging up this thread on a lazy Saturday morning :)

The longing for Iceland continues...

Hope to see more of your memories of Iceland.

Cheers

Apologies I did not see ur reply dear asterixsg!

# 48

Stykkishólmur Church.
We came out to grab a shot in between an intermittent rain

6843758988_2974c58643_b.jpg

Somewhere in the northeastern part of Iceland, the greatest waterfall of Europe : Dettifoss
Dettifoss can be viewed from either the east bank or the west bank depending on the route that you approach F864 or F862. Roads are extremely bumpy and a 4WD is recommended for a slightly less butt aching drive. If you take a loop from Ring road, you can see both sides of the waterfall.

Just to add on for those making the trip to Iceland, F862 is now a paved road. So its a smooth ride.

However, do check if the road if open (in winter) especially if it was snowing the night before. Our rental car was stuck in snow three times and the way to and from dettifoss. Ended up ripping the bottom part of the car bumper off.

Just to add on for those making the trip to Iceland, F862 is now a paved road. So its a smooth ride.

However, do check if the road if open (in winter) especially if it was snowing the night before. Our rental car was stuck in snow three times and the way to and from dettifoss. Ended up ripping the bottom part of the car bumper off.

Thats great. I still could remember the bumpy drive to and fro the waterfall! * thats why I had one of the most fulfilling drives in Icelandic roads, westfjords especially.. How did u even manage to rip the car bumper off !

# 49

A surprising sunset in Lake Langavatn as we were literally rush driving back to our lodging in Snaefellsnes
The sun appeared briskly for a short while, and I pulled over one of the farm entrances before getting to the edge of the lake for the shot. This was about the only usable shot as most of the rest were marred by the raindrops.

6818104848_aafdbe6179_b.jpg

<Shadowfax>
Snæfellsnes, in a farm somewhere near Grundarfjörður

7774193908_e244ab15a4_c.jpg