Memories of Iceland

# 7
Another shot of Perlan from the viewing deck.
6073625184_e57ceb1906_b.jpg

# 8

6075956883_f1a7c6f41c_z.jpg

Beautiful series. Really love the sky reflection in no. 7. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more :)

Thx Asthio88.

Haukadalur valley, an area of much geothermal display, with its famous Strokkur and the "defunct" Geysir (which gave others the name ). Strokkur still erupts regularly.
Unfortunately because of the cloudy cover, Strokkur did not readily turn up well against the skies, photographically wise. There is a hotel within walking distance from the area, and there is a standalone N1 pump for refueling the Golden Circle route.

6076626670_be460e18ac_b.jpg

Gullfoss aka Golden Falls.

At the head end of the waterfall. Not a long climb, a pretty short walk actually.
We reached Gullfoss in the evening before sunset. The tourist shop at Gullfoss claims to have the (cheapest) souvenirs. Might be a few dollars cheaper on some items, but as you know, things in Iceland are not exactly the cheapest.

We stayed in Hotel Gullfoss, a short < 20 min drive from Gullfoss.

# 12

6085189977_105363fcdf_b.jpg

Thx zoossh for your valuable inputs. Originally envisioned that I might just have the time to lay down the "wares" to take time to choose the lenses to work with at the spot, having a picnic with my wife with coffee and biscuits, but alas ill weather had me shoot and run again. There was once I tried bringing an umbrella to cover rain and shoot, ended up the wind kept flipping my umbrella keeping me more busy. I was lamenting to a fellow UK traveler in a guesthouse one morning over breakfast about my first five days of rain, and he told me he spent his first 10 days of trip in rain, and the last 2 days dried him enough to return to london. I think July might have better weather and definitely better season for birds.

# 7
Another shot of Perlan from the viewing deck.
6073625184_e57ceb1906_b.jpg

# 8
Tjörnin lake. Not the most awesome lake in Iceland, but the most famous probably, in view of its central location in Reykjavic. City Hall and the University are nearby.
An evening walk back from the grocery store ..

6075956883_f1a7c6f41c_z.jpg

Very nice shots you have here....

I like #8...Duckies in the sun :)

Hi, Ryan

Nice!
Thanks for sharing!

If you remember me, that time I asked you questions regarding NZ coz right after you arrived in Sg, I went NZ.
But this time around don't think I will be following your step (to Iceland) anytime soon :D
Got another place in mind, though :)

Keep posting pic please!

Regards,
R

Hi, Ryan

Nice!
Thanks for sharing!

If you remember me, that time I asked you questions regarding NZ coz right after you arrived in Sg, I went NZ.
But this time around don't think I will be following your step (to Iceland) anytime soon :D
Got another place in mind, though :)

Keep posting pic please!

Regards,
R

Hi thx for the revisit :) I think I drove more in south island than in Iceland ( I only clocked 3600+ km per 16 days this time )
Isn't too difficult to go around Iceland. Will look forward to your next place of interest. I am looking at either Norway or some of the national parks in Canada next. Maybe it will change again.

# 13

Gullfoss, from a different walkway. We stayed till sunset which was close to 930pm. The cafe in the tourist/info centre at Gullfoss was already closed. (Only served sandwiches and cafe stuffs)
Hotel Gullfoss did not serve dinner either, and we cooked our own noodles, along with their canned sardines and cod liver chunks!

6088511536_8785497591_o.jpg

Frankly speaking.. you're definitely the top few that produce stunning photo. I've seen a lot of what photographer of the year, their photos are way far compare to yours. You got the feel out of your photos... Very natural and amazing shots you have there.. salute!

Thx nikonriana, but I dun think I deserve such high accolades :)

# 14

Iceland derives much of its power from geothermal energy and hydropower. ( minimally from fossil fuels ) Hot water from taps are from sulfurous hotsprings ( imparting a slight sulfide smell in many instances )

An incidental sunset as we were rushing back to our lodging at Lake Myvatn. Needless to say, we missed their dinner schedule.

6090449919_1bf46ee322_o.jpg

# 15

Puffins mate for life.

6088607233_17c0168450_z.jpg

Very nice - pity the weather wasn't particularly good overall, based on what I've seen so far.

Just a few suggestions:
- #2 could have more space on top, just a smudge would be great (if you cropped it)
- I would personally crop off more of the right on #7
- I would crop that white space off the top of #9

My favourites are #12 and #14 here. :)

Now, if only I had seen asterixsg/your thread on Iceland - I suspect I would have enjoyed myself a whole load more in Iceland than some of the other places (e.g. Italy).

Last edited:
Amazing shots! master perspective n patient!

Very nice - pity the weather wasn't particularly good overall, based on what I've seen so far.

Just a few suggestions:
- #2 could have more space on top, just a smudge would be great (if you cropped it)
- I would personally crop off more of the right on #7
- I would crop that white space off the top of #9

My favourites are #12 and #14 here. :)

Now, if only I had seen asterixsg/your thread on Iceland - I suspect I would have enjoyed myself a whole load more in Iceland than some of the other places (e.g. Italy).

Thx WK for sharing your thought process. #9 was a little troubling in a sense of either including a little more skies or to do away without. The only issue I faced was not having the crater lake to look like any lake without skies.

Should visit Iceland for a hard core landscape shooter like u!

Amazing shots! master perspective n patient!

Thx pikapig!

Would love more time though.

# 16
Seljalandsfoss . A very popular waterfall in Iceland , it has a large walkway behind for tourists to go behind the waterfall to grab shots.

6093035901_1d89d5e77d_b.jpg

# 17

Skógafoss. Another beautiful waterfall that often produces a double rainbows on sunny days.

6095824309_402a61d646_b.jpg

Last edited:
# 18

Hotel Hellnar, as we passed by towards a visit to Hellnar. Tilted Shifted Stitched Pano

6096563523_4a76c3861c_b.jpg

Great impressions of Iceland so far! Are they all taken in the daytime? or does the night stays the same as day while you're there?

Great impressions of Iceland so far! Are they all taken in the daytime? or does the night stays the same as day while you're there?

Thx, Yes I took them before sunset. I did not take any late shots mainly because after driving and walking the whole day I was most dead tired by the time it got to ard 10-11pm. There wasn't really any true darkness, and the skies at 12 midnight then were pretty Singapore 730-ish - eight. All the loads of Provia for long exposures and prep for night shot / star trails never got realized in this trip .

# 19
Moss covered lava fields are all too common sights in Iceland.
This was taken eastwards from outside Reykjavik.

6099992446_f2d606e73c_b.jpg

It has started...! Camping here. Been super off of CS lately. Time to come back.
Lovely thread, will spend more time admiring your works at home this weekend.

bro some questions as I will be heading there on november

I have credit card, but dun think the credit card have pin number to it leh..
How bout debit card? can I use there?
So what are the ways for me to pump petrol there ah? need to buy prepaid card? is it widely available?

anyway your pictures are always great. followed your other threads as well.nice.

It has started...! Camping here. Been super off of CS lately. Time to come back.
Lovely thread, will spend more time admiring your works at home this weekend.

Thx EM! Been rather busy at work as well, not much time to do up most of them..

bro some questions as I will be heading there on november

I have credit card, but dun think the credit card have pin number to it leh..
How bout debit card? can I use there?
So what are the ways for me to pump petrol there ah? need to buy prepaid card? is it widely available?

anyway your pictures are always great. followed your other threads as well.nice.

Hi Kazeeee

You need to call the bank to issue you a PIN number. It will take some time before they mail you the PIN, which often times can be changed at the ATM ( at least for UOB ). I do not know about debit cards.

There are several gas stations in Iceland, N1 having the widest coverage. N1 gas booths allow credit cards that have PINS that are more than 4 digits. Icelandic credit card PINS are only 4 digits. The other companies such as Orkan has credit booths that ONLY ALLOW 4 digit PIN entry on the interface ( which meant my 5 PIN UOB credit card or other 6 PIN US issued credit cards are rendered unusable )

All the pink Orkan gas stations we saw appeared unmanned. The gas station at Kef airport car park is an Orkan station. * When we returned the rental car, we had to tell the car rental company to charge our credit card backend to top up to full tank because we cannot operate the Orkan pump..
All the green Orlis gas stations we passed by had pump station / attendant.
Most of the N1 gas stations we saw were unmanned except the large ones in Reykjavik
For most of the parts, N1 credit card interface was in Icelandic except the newer or larger Reykjavik ones ( but with abit of guessing you will know how to do it ) - also there are like 3 versions of pump interface hah. During the credit card entry you will be requested to enter the amount you wish to pump. So if you indicated 5000 isk on the system, and you only pumped 4000 isk, only 4000 isk will be deducted. The pump knows the end of the pump when you rest the pump head back into position. So it is highly unlikely someone next gets to use up your extra credits since transaction would have ended. For many terminals, one credit card interface serves two pumps, so you will have to indicate which pump number you are paying for.
Some of the manned stations actually open till 11+ pm, but please check to be sure.

I did not need to get any prepaid cards during my trip, but I know N1 sells prepaid cards with various value denominations. Apparently Olis stations do as well ( but there was one attendant in Selfoss branch that told me they/Olis do not sell them ) We bought an Icelandic driving map from Borders which indicated fuel station ( but did not tell us which gas company ). you can refer to this page as well, although I am not sure how up to date: http://travelcarsiceland.com/is/practical-information/136-fuel.html. Remember to always check fuel gauge and err on side of caution. West fjords will need some planning.

Ryan

Last edited:
# 20

Hengifoss, aka Hanging Falls.

We started the ascend rather late at around 7pm+ that day. Started becoming very dark, misty and rained at the top. All in all it took us 2.5 hrs up and back to the carpark in quick time.
Some of the paths are rather slippery and narrow, and probably can give a good slide if not careful.

Midway up the ascent lies the smaller Litlanesfoss.

This is a take of the waterfall near the top. One probably can hike much nearer the waterfall, but where the shot was taken was where the dirt beaten track ended.
We did not proceed any further

6102282359_bf0b6b0a12_b.jpg