Memories of Iceland

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
If you loved New Zealand, you will love the unspoilt nature of Iceland, and perhaps even more. Me and my wife came back from an amazing 16 day trip in Aug (2011), a round island ride on their Ring Road, thanks to inspirational documentaries on cable TV. Iceland offers amazing vistas, nothing short of taking my breath away. Some of the most beautiful and yet erratic weather gives both disappointments and opportunities for the landscape photographer, and almost half my trip was spent in cloudy storm clouds and rain. Self drive with much care on the roads is strongly recommended as a means to travel. I rented an automatic transmission 4FWD for travel from: http://iceland.carrentals.is/
Everything including flights / car rentals / lodgings were booked more than eight months prior ( and there were still one or two popular hotels we failed to book ). I took a flight from Singapore to Amsterdam before a transit via Iceland Air to Iceland Keflavik airport. There are plenty of flights to Iceland from Europe.

Upon reaching Keflavik airport, we saw 2 major bus companies that transports tourists from the airport to their place of residence in Reykjavik, easily booked by the bus service counters. We also bought each of us a Simnin and a Vodafone post-paid card. Remember to request the local islandic assistant to activate the Siminn post paid card as the activation requires to walk through a series of icelandic instructions on the phone. My Vodafone post paid card did not require any PIN to use. BTW, you will need to manually set the API settings ( at least on my android phone ) to connect to 3G. Connection is pretty good with wide coverage, and we did not notice significant differences between Vodafone or Siminn. Many of the restaurants and cafe and lodgings offer wifi of sorts and are often free of charge.
Much of the itinerary was referenced with inputs from travel forums like tripadvisor, with lots of reading from icelandic travel books.

My travel goes in a commonly anti-clockwise manner, with visits on the key areas :

- Reykjavik, stayed for 2 nights
- Golden Circle, Stayed at Gullfoss
- Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Stay in Vik
- Svartifoss, Cape Ingólfshöfði, Jökulsárlón, Stay in Höfn
- Dujupivour, F939 to stay over Egilsstaoir, Hengifoss
- Dettifoss & Selfoss, Asbyrgi, Hverir , Goðafoss, Krafla, Hverfjall, Stay in Lake Myvatn area for 2 nights
- Akureyri, Glaumbaer, Stay over Varmalid
- Hvitserkur, Illugastaðir farm, Stay at Holmavik
- Litlibaer, Seal watching a little from Litlibaer, Isafjordur, Djandi Falls, Látrabjarg, Stay at Breidavik for 2 nights
- Brjanslaekur, Malarrif and Londrangar,Grundarfjordur, Kirkjufell, Anarstapi, Hellnar, Helgafell, stay at Stykkisholmur x2 nights
- Back to Reykjavik for 2 nights, Landmannalaugar ( Landmannalaugar was a last minute planning that came up after all the rest were booked somewhat. One would probably fit in the route towards Selfoss town )

Food for thought

Food!
- Pun intended, always have some spare ration while on the roads. We were caught a few times in transit of places where there was not much civilization. Call it poor planning, probably overstayed in certain areas. BTW canned cod livers are fabulous treats. BONUS supermarts offer a more value for money for the frugal shopper. A lunch of a simple burger and fries can often set you back more than 15 SGD easily pax. I managed to try a variety of their local cuisines except the fermented shark ( they told me I went in the wrong season )

Driving
- It often pays to be a little more careful driving in Iceland. We had pretty stormy weather and strong winds in Snaefellsnes that can drift 4WD vehicles on even paved roads like a ballerina on thin ice if you are going too fast. Dry unpaved road corners should be tackled with care and especially so on tall mountain passes – think the Westfjords. Charming but bad drive. I had a great sense of achievement completing the drive around iceland, clocking in excess of 3000 kilometers of distance ( which incidentally is a far cry from the flight distances of the amazing little artic terns ). If the “need” ever arises, rivers should be fjorded with care and probably in groups ( and note that almost in all instances are uncovered by insurance companies ). Sheeps have a tendency to cross roads when you least expect, and not only do the insurance companies not cover the damages, you are expected to pay damages / sheep loss to the owners as well. When i indulge in a nice jug of Viking beer during dinner, my wife takes over the driving. Be a safe driver

Petrol/Gas
- Check what type of gas your car takes (duh)
- Always err on the side of caution on gas. N1 being the largest provider accepts credit cards with PINs ranging 4 digit to 7 digits. It was our most used pump station. In Singapore, UOB credit cards require a 5 digit PIN, and CitiBank credit cards require a 6 digit PIN. Icelandic credit cards only require a 4digit PIN, and the slightly cheaper unmanned Orkan ONLY accepts 4 digit PINS. N1 and apparently Orlis provides fuel cards and they should come handy if you do not have credit cards. ( You will find that the Orkan gas station next to the Keflavik airport car park only accepts 4 digit PIN, and will need to discuss with rental companies on pump issues during car return, but they will usually understand ) We did not use their fuel cards. While gas stations are pretty well studded across the island, places like Westfjords in particular might need abit more planning. Note how much fuel your car consumes while you drive, with luggage or without luggages. Although of course terrains will affect fuel consumption, it did give us a good estimation of fuel and how much we can cover for day trips.

* Local credit cards will be furbished with a PIN code if you request for one. I got mine 2 weeks before the trip. At least for my UOB credit card the PIN will also be the one for cash advancement ( which I rather not use actually )

Photography
- Always bring along some kind of raincoat cover for the camera and lens especially when shooting at waterfalls. Inclement unpredictable weather had me shooting so many times in the rain be it storm or drizzle, ending up with me using my beanie to wrap the camera around. An absorbant microfibre cloth or tissue comes handy as a wiper of sorts for the lens in between shots. Umbrellas come as a hassle as you will soon realize winds in Iceland not only flip them easily, they can blow away your always thought to be stable heavy lens/camera/tripod setup.
-If you are prepared to bring a barrage of heavy equipments, look to know how much walking distance you need to hike to reach certain spots. Places like Hengifoss, Látrabjarg etc will need reasonable fitness. Not all hiking paths are baggage friendly. Hvitserkur for instance needs more free hands and feet and dexterity during the descent down to the beach, and I had bad abrasions as a result of having one hand tied on the tripod.

Last edited:
I also maintain a blog here http://kaleidoscopy.com/galleries/iceland-gallery/ for reference.

My friend passed me his copy of routable Garmin map for my Nuvi 1490 which runs amazing, but we have a copy of an Iceland map ( last purchase from Wheelock Borders ) for reference. There were a few times GPS decided to route us to some middle of the lake or unknown path, but ultimately you just have to trust your map reading. GPS helps to give us location awareness, pre-empt sharp curves or the general direction of the road especially driving on all too many uphill blind spots :)

Will welcome anyone who is interested to know more about Iceland to drop me a message. I still keep much Icelandic brochures ( that contributed to my hefty overweight baggage surcharge by Iceland Air )

Not in any order, sharing one of my more memorable photo during my travel in Snaefellsnes peninsular, beside the road, left hand busy covering and wiping the rain from the lens front, while right hand on the camera and trying to support the setup against the strong winds. While the original intent was a telephoto capture of the rainbow, the incidental flock of birds that flew past made it more memorable

# 1
"Somewhere over the rainbow, Blue birds fly ..
6062436812_c212ec7d6c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice moment captured of the birds above the roofs. Camping for more pics :)

Glad that you had a great time in Iceland. Will be waiting for more of your wonderful captures.

Thx guys. Did not have too much opportunities for clear blue skies, and from the long summer hours, it seemed there was never true darkness, and sadly did not manage to catch stars this time.

REYKJAVIK
The icelandic capital of Iceland, we stayed in Castle House Luxury apartments which was a few steps from Tjonin Lake. ( It was nothing in the level of luxury but great lodging otherwise, and free and fast WIFI ) Reykjavik is a metropolis with its own character that can be explored much with just on the foot. Get yourself a map of Reykjavik from the information centre at the Keflavik airport, and once you know where Hallgrímskirkja lies, you can pretty much start your happy trotting around the capital.

Hallgrímskirkja is the most striking ( tallest ) church in Iceland, and possibly most prominent structure in Reykjavik ( maybe Harpa is a close fight ). The columnic design follows the basaltic columns that can be often seen in iceland scapes. With a small fee, you can access their observation tower atop ( there are quite a number of obstructing grills and pillars that obstructs the smallish viewing windows though )

# 2
A front facade of the church.
6065711210_a8b4e29e71_b.jpg

wah sei. first pic is epic. definitely camping here.

here's hoping that you'll post faster. cheers!

Nice! I had 14 days there in May and took the same anti-clockwise route as you did minus the Snæfellsnes peninsula.

Look forward to your pictures, sure to bring back my memories of Iceland (pun intended).

wah sei. first pic is epic. definitely camping here.

Thx!

here's hoping that you'll post faster. cheers!

Thx! Still having much to adjust back to local time and work! My several rolls of film still not developed..

Nice! I had 14 days there in May and took the same anti-clockwise route as you did minus the Snæfellsnes peninsula.

Look forward to your pictures, sure to bring back my memories of Iceland (pun intended).

:) Thanks! I am envious of your time that you have set aside for traveling. Norway looks like a great place to visit next.

# 3
Sólfar / Sun Voyager , an artistic steel rendition of a Viking ship that lies along the coast of Reykjavik ever so prominently. There is a small clearing beside the road where vehicles can stop by.
We passed the Sólfar in the rain, and had to "queue" along with other visitors who stopped by to quickly take photos of it. I have seen fantastic takes of the Sólfar in the evening with strong hues.

6069370714_e93a83c7f6_b.jpg

# 4

Harpa - Reykjavik Concert Hall and Conference Centre

An award winning architecture, the cultural epicentre of Iceland covered by shimmering glass panels that reflects light with colors during the day, and lighted by artificial lighting at night.
Here is Harpa from the front, with workers in rain coats cleaning the glass in the light rain. And I too was busy wiping rain off my lens. My unfortunate T/S lens adapter did eventually broke down in the midst of the trip, a little tribute to its service.
We took refuge under the building when the rain got heavier.
The inside sports a beautiful interior that has a nice view of the harbor from the rear.

6065253407_f45173059a_b.jpg

Saw the puffin in the MF thread and went hey you're back!
Great first shot, love the pano comps
Curious to know what you brought for lenses

Saw the puffin in the MF thread and went hey you're back!
Great first shot, love the pano comps
Curious to know what you brought for lenses

Thanks Zichar. I got a 5d2 + spare, 17TSE/24/35/50/85, old 600mmf5.6+1.4tc, and an old Fuji 6x9
Retrospectively I might have gotten a good zoom to replace the multi primes, more flexible. Alot of times I had to scurry in the rain from my vehicle by the road to a good distance to shoot something that catches my eye, and I could only bring one or the most two, and changing lenses can be pretty treacherous in inclement weather.

Letme repost the photo here

# 5
The Alantic puffins!
While not the national bird of Iceland, the puffins are definitely the more popular iconic bird

6059432882_d8ecb12d62_z.jpg

master at work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

camping here for sure. beautiful images.

master at work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

camping here for sure. beautiful images.

Thanks guys. I am no master beside u billy ..

Perlan

aka the Pearl, is another prominent building in Reykjavik. The hemispherical restaurant sits atop the previous water tanks atop a hill. We drove to the Pearl for one of the evenings while in Reykjavik, a fairly short drive from Castle House. A viewing deck at the 4th level offers a nice view of the city. There is a cafeteria and a rotating restaurant which sits on the upper 2 levels. A short lived sunset, from the inside

# 6

6069459080_b5b41a0609_z.jpg

Thanks Zichar. I got a 5d2 + spare, 17TSE/24/35/50/85, old 600mmf5.6+1.4tc, and an old Fuji 6x9
Retrospectively I might have gotten a good zoom to replace the multi primes, more flexible. Alot of times I had to scurry in the rain from my vehicle by the road to a good distance to shoot something that catches my eye, and I could only bring one or the most two, and changing lenses can be pretty treacherous in inclement weather.

once u r used to the good quality of your previous work, it is hard to turn back to the zooms. that said, i've not spent on a good quality zoom before, apart from 80-200mm f/2.8 which is more for the tele and not a landscape/street zoom.

so much sepia in your current work... :think:
i like #4.

Last edited:
once u r used to the good quality of your previous work, it is hard to turn back to the zooms. that said, i've not spent on a good quality zoom before, apart from 80-200mm f/2.8 which is more for the tele and not a landscape/street zoom.

so much sepia in your current work... :think:
i like #4.

Thx zoossh for your valuable inputs. Originally envisioned that I might just have the time to lay down the "wares" to take time to choose the lenses to work with at the spot, having a picnic with my wife with coffee and biscuits, but alas ill weather had me shoot and run again. There was once I tried bringing an umbrella to cover rain and shoot, ended up the wind kept flipping my umbrella keeping me more busy. I was lamenting to a fellow UK traveler in a guesthouse one morning over breakfast about my first five days of rain, and he told me he spent his first 10 days of trip in rain, and the last 2 days dried him enough to return to london. I think July might have better weather and definitely better season for birds.

# 7
Another shot of Perlan from the viewing deck.
6073625184_e57ceb1906_b.jpg

# 8
Tjörnin lake. Not the most awesome lake in Iceland, but the most famous probably, in view of its central location in Reykjavic. City Hall and the University are nearby.
An evening walk back from the grocery store ..

6075956883_f1a7c6f41c_z.jpg

Golden Circle tour is a popular route with several local companies offering their own packages.
The Golden circle route of approximately 300km covers 3 primary areas, namely
- Þingvellir National Park
- Gullfoss ( Golden Falls )
- Geysir and Strokkur of valley of Haukadalur
Optional spots in proximity to the route includes
- Kerið volcano crater
- Nesjavellir geothermal power plant
- the Skalholt church
Many tourists who are visiting Iceland for a shorter duration will often include the Golden Circle route
which is not far from Reykjavik

# 9

Kerio crater
A short easy walk down the gentle interior is possible from the small parking area. Within the inactive volcanic crater lies a small lake.
There was a little girl in purple at the edge of the lake, blocked by one of the rocks
The Kerio crater is beautiful in winter when the little water body freezes into a white pellet within.

6073751870_23cb3f0226_b.jpg

I remembered feeding all the duckies here. A very centrally located lake. :D

I remembered feeding all the duckies here. A very centrally located lake. :D

Yup. A boy beside the lake passed me some crumb bits to feed them. I am not sure if the bags of bread that some of the locals bring to feed the ducks were overdued products from the bakery or crumb collected over the past few days.

Still waiting for some of my film stuffs to get developed ...
Here is a shot of my wife encountering a curious sheep on our short hike at Landmannalaugar, both sizing one another ..

# 10

6061229136_a0ce696d23_z.jpg