Man Utd XVI: Quest of the Title - Return to winning way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go, this game we need to win and win convincingly. With or without injuries, LVG must show his experience in tackling Arsenal away and no more excuses if we go down, we better go down fighting. If not, LVG must shoulder all the responsibilities. His tactics will surely be questioned and be in doubt his manager ability overall. We shall see at the end of the game. Hope we don't park the bus and hoping for a draw at the end of the day as we are already in deep deep problems.

Shaw 1st to get injured lol

I saw how Man Utd play in the first half. IMO it was horrendous. Lucky we did not to go down by at least 2 clear goals by Arsenal. Its Arsenal lack of finishing that saved us. It would have changed the whole game if we were 2 goals down. LVG tactics are not working well with the team. There were no midfielder to control play. Rooney and Di Maria was running all over the place. Van Persie kept waiting to be fed the through ball which never comes. The instructions to MU goal keeper was to pump the ball up to the third of opponent field and hopefully falls on the right MU player. Same goes to the central defenders, just hit as hard forward as possible and hope for the best. Gone were the 1-2 or triangular passes, no flair, just pump the ball high up. Is that the way to play away games? I seriously don't think so and I am now very critical about how LVG strategies are, with or without injuries....the play is the same pump the ball forward and hope for the best, yes, I repeated the statement. Sad when you look back at how we used to play good creative football in Alex Ferguson era. We are very far away from what we can do as a team. We need to change the way we play or else we may not be able to get back to CLeague at season's end. We consider ourselves lucky this time against an ineffective Arsenal attacking forwards.

I saw how Man Utd play in the first half. IMO it was horrendous. Lucky we did not to go down by at least 2 clear goals by Arsenal. Its Arsenal lack of finishing that saved us. It would have changed the whole game if we were 2 goals down. LVG tactics are not working well with the team. There were no midfielder to control play. Rooney and Di Maria was running all over the place. Van Persie kept waiting to be fed the through ball which never comes. The instructions to MU goal keeper was to pump the ball up to the third of opponent field and hopefully falls on the right MU player. Same goes to the central defenders, just hit as hard forward as possible and hope for the best. Gone were the 1-2 or triangular passes, no flair, just pump the ball high up. Is that the way to play away games? I seriously don't think so and I am now very critical about how LVG strategies are, with or without injuries....the play is the same pump the ball forward and hope for the best, yes, I repeated the statement. Sad when you look back at how we used to play good creative football in Alex Ferguson era. We are very far away from what we can do as a team. We need to change the way we play or else we may not be able to get back to CLeague at season's end. We consider ourselves lucky this time against an ineffective Arsenal attacking forwards.

Think the boss idea is to absorb their attack and catch them on counter....... think we need to adapt to LVG's style of play ... and what we use to play which i really also hope we went back to our playing style! :think:

Rooney praises game plan after Arsenal win

Wayne Rooney believes his Manchester United team-mates executed Louis van Gaal’s game plan to perfection on Saturday evening by securing a vital 2-1 victory over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.

The Reds set up to counter attack and were forced to defend for long periods of the game, but crucially broke the deadlock via a Kieran Gibbs own goal in the second half before Rooney chipped over Emiliano Martinez to cap a wonderful move on the break.

continue here

Last edited:
Van Gaal: I was right to start Shaw

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal was frustrated to watch Luke Shaw suffer an injury during the first half of Saturday’s 2-1 win over Arsenal but insists he was right to start the in-form defender at the Emirates Stadium.

Shaw was initially a doubt for the Premier League tie after picking up a knock while playing for England against Scotland on Tuesday. But after a positive session at the Aon Training Complex on Friday, the boss decided he was fit enough for selection.

A late challenge from Shaw’s former Southampton team-mate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain led to him being replaced by Ashley Young after 15 minutes in north London and, speaking afterwards, van Gaal was asked if he made the right choice of defenders.

“I am convinced that I made the right decision,” van Gaal explained in his post-match press conference. “This is the life of a manager, the result is always giving you the reason or not [to pick these players]. I cannot do other things because I don't have so many players.

“Shaw has come back from internationals not fit enough so we made him fit, but then he gets injured again. Then I have to give Young a game but Young is not fit enough to play 90 minutes. I have said this before. Then I have to change the line-up again.

“I think the players have done fantastic. Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair and Luke Shaw, how old are they? So when you play against a team like Arsenal, a team that are always changing position, you have to have communication. I think that is pretty good, but I was not pleased with the overall performance.”

Boss on Shaw injury.

Van Gaal: I was right to start Shaw

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal was frustrated to watch Luke Shaw suffer an injury during the first half of Saturday’s 2-1 win over Arsenal but insists he was right to start the in-form defender at the Emirates Stadium.

Shaw was initially a doubt for the Premier League tie after picking up a knock while playing for England against Scotland on Tuesday. But after a positive session at the Aon Training Complex on Friday, the boss decided he was fit enough for selection.

A late challenge from Shaw’s former Southampton team-mate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain led to him being replaced by Ashley Young after 15 minutes in north London and, speaking afterwards, van Gaal was asked if he made the right choice of defenders.

“I am convinced that I made the right decision,” van Gaal explained in his post-match press conference. “This is the life of a manager, the result is always giving you the reason or not [to pick these players]. I cannot do other things because I don't have so many players.

“Shaw has come back from internationals not fit enough so we made him fit, but then he gets injured again. Then I have to give Young a game but Young is not fit enough to play 90 minutes. I have said this before. Then I have to change the line-up again.

“I think the players have done fantastic. Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair and Luke Shaw, how old are they? So when you play against a team like Arsenal, a team that are always changing position, you have to have communication. I think that is pretty good, but I was not pleased with the overall performance.”

Boss on Shaw injury.

Shaw is LVG's 40th injury snice taking over!!!

i didnt see the game but i already knew how the played.

After 12 games

LVG 19pts, GD of +4, 4th position.

Under Moyes we had:
21 points, GD of +5, 6th position.

Hmm... so who is better? lol...

and our friendly competitor...

Wenger 17pts, GD of +5, 7th position.

Rodgers 14pts, GD of -3, 12th position.

After 12 games

LVG 19pts, GD of +4, 4th position.

Under Moyes we had:
21 points, GD of +5, 6th position.

Hmm... so who is better? lol...

and our friendly competitor...

Wenger 17pts, GD of +5, 7th position.

Rodgers 14pts, GD of -3, 12th position.

moyes was better of cos.
he spent much less.

It might be true....but point is not everything. ...we need to look at results. ..and standings....there is no point getting lots of point but lay low until can't even qualify for Europah cup...if LVG can get the team into champions league this year....imo that is already mission accomplished. ..

Also...the mood...the confident level among players and fans....in Moyes time...it was totally not existant....it sank....imo player purposely played badly to get him saked....the money he paid for Felaini and Shaw is not justifiable. ...LVG paid even more to Angel and Tiger....but the impact is there. ..it gives us hope....and in just 1 qtr of the season...we are up there after the mess Moyes did...

What this season and last have shown is just that everyone needs time to get things in order. Unfortunately DM didnt have the big name reputation to buy himself some time like what LVG has done. I still think DM would have been Fergie II ultimately. It is a pity he took over in the current environment, with so much money going about in the game and real time information on everything. Fergie had that much more time bout thirty years ago when the only news outlets were really TV, radio and newspapers.

i think the form of liv, ars, spurs & everton help manu's position as well. but the mood do feels different from last season so far as the players keep going even when chasing the game, unlike last year when they just give up.

LVG's is also more attack minded, unlike moyes, i remember a game last season when 2 goals down, moyes sub in a defender for a striker when SAF would have sub in an additional striker even when they are winning by 2 goals...whats the point of preventing losing by more goals than trying to pull the game back...guess thats one reason the players got sick of moyes tactics, mid-table mentality, and thats where manu ended up...

So in conclusion ... decision to give DM the boot and bring in LVG is the right one ...

This season seems to be quite a close one, except for chelsea ... and points between 4th and 10th position is just 2pts difference... have the mid tablers finally closing down the gap? or just the top teams slipping down their normal standard.

Saturday
UNITED V HULL CITY
29 November 2014 11:00:00 pm

vs Hull: De Gea, Smalling, Carrick, Rojo, Valencia, Fellaini, Mata, Di Maria, Young, Rooney, van Persie

subs: Lindegaard, Blackett, McNair, Fletcher, Herrera, Januzaj, Falcao

Looks like we play with 3 at the back? hmm...

Last edited:
LVG said that he wanted United to be more ruthless..

This lineup looks very attacking so I think he wants the players to go all out and win big..

Hope we can do just that..

16 min - Goal! United 1 Hull City 0. Chris Smalling opens the scoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.